Dole Packaged Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

James R. Wood

1. "VP of IT"

Current Employee - Vice President of IT in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of IT in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dole Packaged Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good company. Great products. Leading edge technologies

Cons

Los Angeles cost of living.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Production Supervisor"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Stockton, CA

I worked at Dole Packaged Foods (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, great people to work with, NOT micromanagers

Cons

Production was demanding, weekends, long hours, problems with new equipment

Advice to Management

All in all, it's a well ran company. I would recommend this company to anyone

3. "Dole Reward"

I have been working at Dole Packaged Foods full-time

Pros

Great place to work due to the people that work here in the environment that has been established.

Cons

I work too many hours.

"Not a team players"

Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in Porter Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in Porter Ranch, CA

I worked at Dole Packaged Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office and cafeteria. Nice benefit package, no one helps to grow, all too busy to lookout for themselves

Cons

Many employees have no loyalty to the company. Too much office politics, not a pleasant culture.
    No advancement opportunity because they don't help you to grow. No one is held responsible for their action. Many incompetent employees

Advice to Management

The management really needs to see who is sitting at their office for year without really contributing anything, just holding on to their job title.

"Left job to have surgery and never went back"

Former Employee - Product Handler in Atwater, CA
    Former Employee - Product Handler in Atwater, CA

I worked at Dole Packaged Foods full-time

Pros

My wife still is employed by Dole and many people in the front office are very nice and professional.

Cons

Sometimes work can be seasonal due to weather extremes. You never work in the same place every day . They move you around .very cold in C-pack well under 30 degrees without the proper shoes and gear you could get hurt and cause damage to your feet since the floor is constantly wet.

Advice to Management

Hire out of house. More smarter people . Seemed to me that there were a monopoly of senior management supervisors all related and if they wanted you out , you're were out . They run their own rules separate from company rules. They have been doing this for years. Everyone is scared to loose their jobs if the talk or speak out loud about it . Once I got injured, which was an off the job injury , I used my time to try and find a much better healthier job with more professional people who,spoke English and who weren't from jail or x convicts. To me they just needed labor hands and would accept anything at anytime going through temp agencies that did not do a good job of screens of screening their employees. That's my advice to all of the senior management teams and the corporate CEOs back in Westlake with all due respect that was just my experience and to all the directors in the Atwater plant.

"Manager? Look away..."

Current Employee - Manager in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Westlake Village, CA

Pros

Nice physical accomodations with good parking and quick freeway access to 101. Excellent 401k and bonus up to 10% of salary. Health coverage very good.

Cons

Culture is old school and management doesn't seem to want to progress in it. Working from home and flexible scheduling aren't allowed ("if you're not here you're not working"). not an encouraging, affirming, collaborative environment... feels more like you are encouraged to just keep your head down and not contribute to the advancement of thinking or processes.

Company is wholly owned by Itochu international but operates in 3 distinct global business units that aren't unified. Even in north america departments can be contentious.

Advice to Management

Worry more about your culture... if you're gonna want quality people ongoing it'll need to change rapidly. Show your people you are concerned about their inputs and take them seriously. Be leaders instead of bullies.

"Sale taking toll... now..."

I have been working at Dole Packaged Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get coupons if Sales people like you and remember to bring them when in town. If you are liked you can do no wrong. Changes since split years ago, haven't hurt sales yet. Do things the same so you don't need to adapt to change. You know when the pressure will hit since it is driven by the month.

Cons

Everyone is afraid of the new owners in management. No one above you makes mistakes. managements plans are "perfect" then the bills come in and they look for who messed up. If Sales guy doesn't care about your dept. then you get killed for not doing your job if things aren't cleared in time.

9. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Nice co-workers. Cafeteria was awesome.

Cons

The pay was low and no easy to get a promotion.

"Product Inspector"

Current Employee - Product Inspector in Atwater, CA
    Current Employee - Product Inspector in Atwater, CA

I have been working at Dole Packaged Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours and decent money.

Cons

Only seasonal, so only work part of the year.

Advice to Management

Make sure supervisors keep employees better informed, in all languages.

11. "I absolutely loved working here, my manager was amazing, HR was very helpful, and they were very fair."

Former Employee - Financial Systems Administrator in Westlake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Systems Administrator in Westlake Village, CA

I worked at Dole Packaged Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a great work environment.There were amazing co-workers, and management. Free fruit and juice every morning, and free fresh cut vegetables every afternoon at 2:30! And an on site all healthy Dole Cafe!

Cons

The Dole Cafe only served healthy food, with fish on the menu every single day, and I am deathly allergic to seafood, even the smell, so in 2 years I never got to eat there even once. That is eventually what did me in, I had too many attacks and HR decided it was a liability to employ me.

Advice to Management

I would say to make more accommodations for people with disabilities, like moving offices farther from Cafe, or letting them work from home, or anything else that would let a loyal long time exemplary employee keep their job. (Even though the compensation package was more than fair!)