Dollar Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Dollar Bank President and CEO James J. McQuade
James J. McQuade

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent training program, good work/life balance, many opportunities to advance if you work hard" (in 10 reviews)

• "You can meet a lot of great people at the branches" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Dreadfully low pay which is exponentially worse if you work your way up in the company" (in 15 reviews)

• "Certain branch managers do whatever they want based on who they are close with in branch support and upper management" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dollar Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The new group of regional managers have done a great job. Sean, Matt and Kim have all stepped up and done a great job continuing the mission of Dollar Bank. I feel they will an asset to the bank in the long run. The pressure is very minimal and goals are attainable. If people aren't able to reach them, they aren't trying and complaining on a message board rather than making calls. This is the best company I have worked for and will be here for many years to come.

Cons

This is an excellent company to work for. There wouldn't be cons that I can come up with. This bank listens to it's employees a d rewards people that do their job.

Advice to Management

Continue on the road. People on here are just upset because they aren't committed to their jobs and want do play on their phones all day. Had they done any research, they would see the bank offers salaries at or above what you could get at other Banks.

"Okay"

Current Employee - Branch Employee
    Current Employee - Branch Employee

I have been working at Dollar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyable culture, fun coworkers, great training program, no crazy sales pressure, the work itself is enjoyable when there isn’t too much of it

Cons

Constantly short staffed. Not really getting any breaks and not being able to meet customers’ needs in a timely manner takes its toll on you. Certain branches are set up to rely too much on machines to help customers, and the departments that could change that refuse to do so. They seem out of touch with what is actually going on in the branches and what customers actually want. This plus the short staffing can make for a lot of customer complaints throughout the day. Without breaks, this gets exhausting.

Advice to Management

Do whatever it takes to get good employees to come and stay here. This could be (and used to be) and amazing place to work with the right staffing. I don’t know if starting salaries need to be increased or if we just need to advertise our jobs better, but something has to change. Work to keep good employees here with meaningful raises and recognition.

3. "Love this company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dollar Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive regional managers, clear expectations, compensation based on actual performance, not perceived performance.

Cons

I wish pay was better, but willing to trade lower pay for heavy sales pressure. I have also had a lot of staffing challenges - it takes a really long time to fill a position when somebody from the team leaves.

Advice to Management

Do more to add staff when needed - job fairs, employment boards, etc.

4. "Lots of Nope"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Dollar Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fully vested in 401k 1st day

Cons

weird schedule looks like a computer generated it

Advice to Management

Lose the ego

"Feel at home"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Dollar Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is nice working for a company that appreciates your efforts. Very thorough training program conducted by knowledgeable trainers. Upper management is very approachable; they take an interest in you as a person, not just an employee. Excellent back office support. Promote from within. Several social events each year. Improved vacation policy and 401k program in last year. Benefits include vacation and sick days, health, dental, vision, matching 401k, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

No place is perfect, but no issues that workers everywhere don't complain about!

Advice to Management

Continue to review and improve benefits, systems, etc. There's been a big improvement in my time with the bank; look forward to what the future holds!

"DB"

I have been working at Dollar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, really nice people
    Bank really does want to help customers—do things for right reasons

Cons

Department silos
    Need to get with the times—too old fashioned in thinking
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Increase pay
    Increase branch staffing
    More Senior management interaction with employees

"Customer Service Specialist"

I worked at Dollar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work downtown you will have true bankers hours. You can meet a lot of great people at the branches. You don't have to take work home with you. The job is easy unless you move into a management role where you just get more and more piled on you without the pay you deserve.

Cons

Pay and benefits are laughable even with recent improvements. You will still make far under the standard pay for your position and even less if you are a woman or a person of color. They forbid you to talk about pay so you don't realize how crazy the gaps are between what people get paid. Certain branch managers do whatever they want based on who they are close with in branch support and upper management. There are branch managers who are employed by Dollar Bank who are blatantly racist, sexist, incompetent, verbally abusive to employees and drive away a large amount of employees however continually get promoted based on who they know. Branch Support will act like they want to listen to your concerns but will never do anything about it. They will leave your branch incredibly understaffed and expect you to just deal with it. Forget taking lunches, you are expected to just eat behind the teller line or not at all. HR Dept claims they don't even have to give you a lunch. The amount of turnover is insane. Every assistant manager I met absolutely hated their job and felt overwhelmed and taken advantage of. Dollar Bank is a boys club, forget about real advancement if you are a woman.

Advice to Management

You need to heavily restructure the bank in regards to management and branch support. Pay people what they deserve. Don't treat women like lesser humans and quit employing people who you know are harassing their employees and we all know you know exactly who those people are. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

"Slave Drivers! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dollar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you don't mind the constant berating and Stockholm Syndrome, they sometimes buy lunch.

Cons

Essentially everything. Regional Management does not care about customer care or staff success, only making sure they are in the office as little as possible and going on vacation half the year. Promotions are based upon a scale of who smooches the corporate behind the best. You are not allowed to have opinions, and god forbid you have an emergency- they will probably fire you. If you enjoy sanity and respect, I suggest you stay as far away from this place as humanly possible.

Advice to Management

It looks like I have the same advice as a lot of other folks - get rid of the regional managers. Horrible, horrible, horrible! A lot of people feel like the regionals can't be trusted. They will say one thing and then do another or just totally disregard your opinion and substitute their own reality.

How about higher raises than 2.5%? That is embarrassingly pathetic.

"A ton of sales pressure and horrible upper management"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dollar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a darn thing. Horrible culture and below average pay.

Cons

Horrible salary. Unachievable sales goals. Regional management says they have your back but they don't. A lot of people here seem totally fake. At assistant managers meetings you are told one thing and then expected to do something else.

The only way to move up in this company is to suck up.

I was told when I was hired that as long as you give your best effort, everything will be ok even if you don't hit your numbers. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are coached to hit numbers, not to have the correct behaviors.

As a woman of color, I constantly feel discriminated against by regional management. I don't think they take their jobs seriously.

Please avoid Dollar Bank at all costs! It is a horrible place to work with below average salaries and horrible sales pressure. You would be better off at PNC or Citizens. At least you are compensated for your efforts there.

Advice to Management

Follow what the previous reviews said and get rid of the numbers-focused regional managers. Please go back to doing what is best for the customers. Customers are people, not just faceless statistics like we are told in assistant managers meeting.

10. "Senior Customer Service Specialist"

I worked at Dollar Bank full-time

Pros

It's an okay company.

Cons

Pays lower than other banks. Turning into a company that shows importance on sales than customer service.