Dollar General Reviews

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dollar General CEO Todd Vasos
Todd Vasos

Pros
  • close to home and promote from within (in 42 reviews)

• This is a fast paced company who values true assets to the company (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance at times does not exist but it is the nature of the business (in 92 reviews)

• Need help from corporate or any upper management to get this everything done (in 116 reviews)

2,494 Employee Reviews

"District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Phenix City, AL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Phenix City, AL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company gives you just about every tool possible to succeed. I have never seen a more patient and focused company in my life. They really give you an opportunity to grow and teach people how to grow. People I have been with this company for going on 7 years and 75% of the people that quit or get terminated would love to come back. You can jump on the Wal-Mart express and believe that they are 'creating jobs' but this company truly is doing thar. They are not shutting down stores, down sizing, and leaving 25-50% of their employees out of luck. Dollar General is changing the face of America and hopefully soon the globe because they improvise for human error already. I feel truly blessed, proud, and determined to work at this company. I came here a young African American man who dropped the competition for personal reasons and knew that I was sacrificing a pay cut. I realized quickly that that money I gave up was nothing compared to the experience and opportunity this company has to offer. I tell anyone that has a sense of pride, stuck behind fear, hope and possibility at this company, it is definitely possible. I worked from the bottom to my current position and to be honest I don't regret a single bit of it. Come experience a real company if you really really want your hard work to pay off.

Cons

None that cannot be outweighed by at least 5 pros

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I am not looking for a raise or accolades this is truly how I feel l

"Highly Recommend!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Dollar General!! It's like working with a friend or in a tight knit family. I had a wonderful onboarding and training experience and really felt as though the team was invested in my growth and development. I was given more time to ramp up here than I've been given with any prior employer. I love working for such a stable company that has so many different career opportunities and paths for me to explore. With over 12 thousand stores, DCs and a huge support center, the opportunities are endless. I love my team and my job ~ thank you, Dollar General!! I'm grateful everyday to be a part of this organization.

Cons

I honestly have nothing to comment on here. How rare is that??? When I think about my experience with Dollar General, only positive thoughts come to mind. The company is growing at an unprecedented rate, the compensation package is very competitive and the culture is amazing. I love Dollar General!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for showing me every day how much you care about my personal development and keeping me challenged, growing and engaging me every day. My voice counts; even in a company of this size.

"So this is what it's like to love your job..."

Current Employee - Attorney in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Attorney in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good opportunities for career growth, including to different departments/fields so employees can follow their passion. Fast-paced environment but still friendly and a team culture. Expect to be warmly greeted with a "good morning" by everyone on the elevator. The corporate office is located just north of Nashville - easy to get to and lots of lunch places. Everyone on my team works hard, pulls their own weight, and supports each other, which makes for a rewarding experience.

Cons

No "cons" come to mind.

Advice to Management

The Company is growing fast and I'm looking forward to what's ahead for 2016!

"District Manager --Internal Promote"

Current Employee - District - Multi Unit Manager in New Castle, PA
    Current Employee - District - Multi Unit Manager in New Castle, PA

Pros

Great career advancement from store level to multi unit level

Cons

Retail does demand holiday work

Advice to Management

Keep your immediate supervisor informed of your desire to advance. Show you are ready through mastering your current position

"District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

Pros

Great support system, company has some of the best processes in retail. Great overall culture!!! Often there is always someone available to help when needed.

Cons

Some struggles in finding great associates to fill positions, it can be difficult to bring in experienced management, however there is great focus on expanding from within.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand adding additional payroll for stores so they can continue to provide excellent in store results.

"Sometimes impossible!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love getting to know customers, fun environment, lots to keep busy.

Cons

Budgets are IMPOSSIBLE to achieve. My store is open for 91 hours a week so figure double coverage would be 182 hours. Well I get 120 hours on my budget. So let's think about that I'd have to put in 60+ hours every week.... EVERY WEEK!! So much for work life balance. Store Managers are treated as though they don't do enough. My store is one of the cleanest well stocked in the district and I receive a 5 out of 10 on my quality store visit. That's unfair. I'm judged way to harshly. My team is full of slugs and I can't let them go because the company says they don't want to pay unemployment. I don't run my store my DM does.

Advice to Management

How about just saying "hey your store is the best in the district." How about a "thanks for all you do!" A little pat on the back goes a long way....

"General Warehouse Worker"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Bessemer, AL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Bessemer, AL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money is above average for warehouse. Get paid every week. Plenty of overtime if you want it.

Cons

Working overnight and the amount of hours worked spent most of my weekends and days sleep. Can't go home to department met goals. Shifts often lasted longer the 8 hours.

"Dollar General"

Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge growth in the company- profits Promotional opportunities are endless Great Benefits/ Bonuses Awesome training programs

Cons

Nothing so far, the company is always improving operations to ensure a workable 'life/work' balance

"Endless Career Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong commitment to Serving Others Fast Paced and Challenging work environment Unlimited Career Advancement Amazing Culture and great people to work with Excellent training and personal development opportunities Invest in the employees long term professional goals Great company benefits Overall, the best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

I cannot identify with any downside as this is an amazing organization with unlimited career opportunities!

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and showcase career opportunities for the employees.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Dollar General (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy straight forward Retail work

Cons

Tight budget for employees. 50hrs a week usual schedule with good employees. 60+ with bad

Advice to Management

Not a sit at your desk job. freight is part of the position

Showing 2,494 of 2,504 reviews