Dollar General Reviews | Glassdoor

Dollar General CEO Todd Vasos
Todd Vasos

1,125 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Close to home can walk to work if have to also different work environment and great opportunity for me to succeed more in my life right now (in 67 reviews)

• This is a fast paced company who values true assets to the company (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • DG hasn't quite caught on to work life balance just yet but I can tell they are on their way (in 146 reviews)

• no work-life balance because of the shift changing (in 77 reviews)

1. "Downright pitiful"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mebane, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mebane, NC

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice new manager, people are pretty ok to work with. Due to such high turnover rates they will likely always be hiring.

Cons

I don't even know where to start.
    Unsafe over crowded stock room.
    No training
    Horrible pay
    Horrible work schedules

Advice to Management

You guys have to learn how supply and demand actually works. The store I worked for was just way too much work for how little I was being paid.

2. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kentwood, MI

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to items being marked down before customers can buy items

Cons

Upper management, low pay, no recognition, it will consume your life

3. "Worst Job I Ever Had"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Hazard, KY
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Hazard, KY

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some workers were friendly

Cons

Ridiculed and Bullied by Management, Low Pay, Barely Any Hours, Never finished Training Process due to Management, Manager was unreliable when trying to contact, Not a Career to live on.

Advice to Management

Please check out the Grand View Plaza Location in Hazard, KY. This was the location that I worked for. During my short tenure there, I was ridiculed and bullied by management because in their words, I was "too slow" to learn how to stock and recover. I also received very little pay and hours. I went at first making $60-$90 every two weeks to $26 every two weeks, which is, very unacceptable and an insult into the work I put in. My manager also decided to skip the training process, which is required, and stuck me right into the environment with no clue on what I was doing. This place was an absolute joke to work for.

4. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great costomers.thats about the only thing good in that place

Cons

Horrible company to work for

Advice to Management

Start treating employees like slaces. And stop talking down on them

"The worse order selector job I've had..of my 20 years experience..lowest paid order selectors in the business..."

Current Employee - Order Selector in Bessemer, AL
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Bessemer, AL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You dont have to clock in till 6pm so you have all day to find another job..just enough money to live check to check literally

Cons

Afraid of union ..no benifeits.. No holiday pay..they will give you 8hrs..add extra volume to the workload during the week and then close the plant Thursday not to give you holiday pay..to cheap to buy the storks pallet jacks..so you have to pull orders on roll cages...and will make you work through your breaks...out of my 3 jobs in warehousing this one is the worst..with the highest turn over rate

Advice to Management

Allow unions... take care of your employees ..not just your stock holders..

6. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, there really aren't any positives to working for Dollar General.

Cons

-Managers overworked/stressed.
    -No backstock/overstock is encouraged.
    -Stockroom to small, basically a wide hallway.
    -Corporate controlled A/C, Stores to hot to work.
    -Aisles to narrow, barely fit two shopping carts.

Advice to Management

To the store managers: delegate tasks to take a load off of your shoulders.
    To corporate: Work in stores for 1 week, you will see you basically treat employees like slaves in a sauna, let stores order what stock they need and your minimal overstock/backstock will work out much better.

7. "Cr a p"

Former Employee - Cashier in Woodville, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Woodville, TX

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unorganized.. Unfair... Not professional...

Cons

Horrible to work for...really need to have this store checked in too

Advice to Management

Get managers who respect their employees and do not yell at employees in front of customers

8. "Lie to get you to take the job then do not pay you for all your hours."

Former Employee - Key Holder in Jermyn, PA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Jermyn, PA

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most customers treat employees well.

Cons

Lie to you about your status. Say they are hiring you for Full Time then only give you part time.

Advice to Management

Train employees to do their job BEFORE yelling at them for being unable to do their job! Also be truthful about what job you are being hired for. If you hire someone for full time, schedule them for full time hours. If you hire someone as a Full Time Key Holder with the possibility of becoming the Assistant Manager train them for that job and let them transition into that job NOT a part time cashier! Especially if that person has 30 years of retail experience 26 years of which were as a manager! Be truthful, honest and respectful with your employees. Do not berate and ridicule them in front of their coworkers or customers. Please be the professional you claim to be!
    When called out about the discrepancies in scheduling don't just say the employee heard what they wanted to hear in the interview. How is that helpful? Also, what does the employee gain by lying about this? Employees just want to do the job they agreed to do in the interview, so why not give them the tools to do it well?
    Update: Just some friendly advice never work a shift if you can not clock in on the register YOU WILL NOT BE PAID! I quit because of the above reasons after two weeks and was not paid for the first week! The whole first week I was unable to sign into the register system (I think the manager intentional did not input my hours because I quit). I called the corporate office and got nowhere, the phone system kept disconnecting me after I had been on hold over an hour. After three hours I finally spoke to someone and she was just rude and completely unprofessional.

9. "Lead sales associate"

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Grapeland, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Grapeland, TX

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping customers,health insurance when availible.

Cons

Too much to do with not enough hours to do it. Cashiers have it really bad they have to take care of customers,clean store,stock,bring all items from outside,put up ho backs and all expected within usually 5-6 hours. And being payed minimum wage. We only get 2 people at night and day shift usually has 3-4 and we are expected to the same workload as dayshift.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing employees to the point where they absolutely hate working at Dollar General. Raise the wages,ease up on expectations we are only humans trying to survive. Raise hours so your full time employees can actually afford to have health insurance and pay bills. If you have good benefits all employees should have the option to purchase full time or part time,after all im full time and my hours never hit full time,usually 32 and over I think. Mine for the past 2 weeks have been 29,which is not much after insurance and taxes come out. Also,when we are told we can use our vacation time and dont get it thats rude and kind of shady too me. Just sayin.

10. "Manager In Waiting"

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none that I can think of.

Cons

Low-pay, no support from District or Regional Managers, unsafe working condition, un-affordable healthcare, little room for advancement, hellacious hours.

Advice to Management

Pay all employees better, increase training budget, invest in newer technology, armed security guards at all locations, consistent support from Senior Management.

Showing 1,125 of 4,031 reviews