Dollar General Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dollar General CEO Todd Vasos
Todd Vasos

Pros
  • Close to home can walk to work if have to also different work environment and great opportunity for me to succeed more in my life right now (in 63 reviews)

• i love meeting new people I love working in retail (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • DG hasn't quite caught on to work life balance just yet but I can tell they are on their way (in 140 reviews)

• no work-life balance because of the shift changing (in 72 reviews)

1. "Leading Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Lsa in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Lsa in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Retail environment, strict open to close hours that are not extended by the need to meet production or provide a service.
    Being the middle-man, not being the assistant manager who is supposed to over-see your decisions while not being the cashier who is usually of lower caliber and replaceable easily.

Cons

Low-hours
    Having an unreasonable store manager who schedules all the hour for their shift while leaving the shift they're not working overwhelmed. [For example: My current store does about 70% of its business from the hours of 2-6, the current schedule usually has the store manager and the assistant manager working from 7:30am-2pm, Store manager usually leaves at noon and the cashier at 2:30 while having a LSA come in at 2 until close without a cashier until 5 or 6.

Low pay

Cannot take a real lunch break if no other keyholder is present[This will be about 97% of the time]

Advice to Management

Work your 50 hours a week, stop scheduling your store's hours for your personal desires. I'd say offer better pay, but that's not up to them for the most part. Lastly, in no world should a cashier at another establishment make more than non-store manager employees at another. For example: The average starting pay for a cashier at LOWES and Walmart is about 11/hr, while dollar general assistant managers average 10/hr. I advise doing better in that regard if you don't want to have such a high turnover. High turnover+worse employees= Lower earnings due to increased shrink and labor/training cost = Lower stock price.

2. "Dollar general"

Former Employee - Cashier in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was ok customer were great and loyal

Cons

No benefits or over time no chance for fulltime work

Advice to Management

Management need to take their job more serious and have more respect for their employees that actually works hard

3. "Can't balance work from home always at work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly pay that's always good

Cons

No room for growth micro upper management

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers and doing planograms are fun as long as you have time to do them while running back and forth from register to working truck and also trying to focus on resets and planograms.

Cons

Can't really move up in this company and you will have no home life or time for yourself and your friends and family. They do not pay that well and it's really just not worth it especially dealing with daily issues with customers, dg coupons problems, etc issues, and not having the budget to have more then two people each shift at a time, and more then likely you will work 3 out of 7 days a week alone and have a line of 10 people or more that don't understand why they have to wait and why you don't have backup. When it's soppost to be about the customers coming first, you would think that they would think about that instead of not wanting to pay more employees what they deserve and give enough hours a week in order to please customers at the same time making our job much easier and make it something we love.

6. "cashier'"

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Port Byron, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Port Byron, NY

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it s going to be a nice place to work and give me experience in sales

Cons

I have no down faults about the dollar general

"As an Employee"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mantachie, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Mantachie, MS

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Mantachie's is clean, nicely stocked, and has a great team
    -Manager works well with employees
    -Good hours

Cons

-Bad pay in my district

Advice to Management

You're doing great!

"Small town DG"

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Stewartsville, MO
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Stewartsville, MO

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager and co workers are great to work with. Everyone works as a team.

Cons

The pay isn't very good.

Advice to Management

Better pay please!

9. "Sales Associate/Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Portland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Portland, TX

I worked at Dollar General part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great for college student. It was close to home. Customers were generally nice, only came across a few rude ones once in a while. Work there long enough, you get to know regular customers.

Cons

You may get a lot of hours one week, then only a few the next. Pay is low for the amount of work they expect from you. Sometimes you are the only person at the front with a long line of people. Have to call the manager on duty for every little thing.

Advice to Management

Trust your Sales Associates with a little more responsibility. Have more than one SA on one shift so that work can get done instead one one person doing a three-person job. Less employees, more hours is better than more employees less hours.

"Decent company, culture not for me"

Former Employee - SSC in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - SSC in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment- Managers in my department weren't super strict about starting exactly at 8 or ending exactly at 5 as long as you got your work done and worked at least close to an 8 hour day
    Opportunity to move up- HR actually has a goal to promote from within when possible
    Team share bonus
    Interesting work and coworkers who really knew their job well. Only issue was people didnt try to learn things about other departments unless they needed to for their projects. People are very territorial about their work and managers generally don't trust each other.
    Fast pace. Major decisions were occasionally made in a few days or weeks. Management decides something is going to happen and it happens.
    Well respected company. Clear strategy. Busy work does not happen here.

Cons

Performance based culture. Your performance is your value. Everything is performance driven and managers are under a lot of pressure to win. Any failure is really not an option. People commonly lied about or hid mistakes by openly blaming other people or distracting upper management with other projects or bigger problems in other departments. Managers limit the autonomy of employees in order to prevent department failures.
    People are very territorial about projects because they dont want to openly fail or have another person take over or take credit for their work.
    Cost saving company. Corporate regularly talks about how poorly they pay and how much they over work store managers (never using those exact words and not in front of certain people.) employee benefits and extras get cut to protect earnings and bonus pay. DG does not have a reputation for treating employees well.

*Be wary of HR or new employee reviews on this site. HR tells new employees at orientation that they aware of poor reviews and asks people to review if they want to say something positive.

Advice to Management

Always be aware of how your decisions affect your culture. I think the layoffs, reorgs, and upper management changes have done more damage that you realize.

"It was an okay job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alachua, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alachua, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was okay
    Paid weekly
    Hourly

Cons

Unorganized
    No leadership