Dollar Tree Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Dollar Tree Chicago Reviews

Updated November 20, 2017

Chicago, IL Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, Good environment, great people (in 71 reviews)

• Dollar Tree is a fast paced, ever changing company with exceptional growth opportunities (in 61 reviews)

1. "Cashier,& Stocker"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Berwyn, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Berwyn, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family,Friendly ,safe and economical environment, as well as constant flexibility and Growth .

Cons

Not enough hours poor communication .

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management would be to Communicate more and be receptive to ideas that boost the morale of the overall team.

"Dollar tree has given me the opportunity to learn how to be a leader when it is necessary."

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier/Stocker in Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier/Stocker in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and a pretty fast paced environment, which helps the shift go by faster. Store management is understanding and doesn't look down on their employees like other places I have worked

Cons

Upper management doesn't always start at the level of cashiers/stockers. So they don't really understand what it takes to run the store.

Advice to Management

Realize that different stores (low volume vs high volume stores) need different things. What amount of hours work at a slow store is not going to cut it for a store that is very busy.

3. "Good for a high school student"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schererville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schererville, IN

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was easy work. Running the register was extremely easy, the customers were usually nice, and the pay was decent.

Cons

The management at the time was kind of rude. Some of the work wasn't very fun, mainly having to put every item back that was left behind by a customer or left in the wrong spot. Having a cart full of 100 or more items and having to find the right spot for every little thing, then having to do it all over again once your done did get irritating at times, but it wasn't hard.

"District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Darien, IL

I worked at Dollar Tree (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are losing all their pros, culture and environment has changed

Cons

work/life balance, management untrustworthy

Advice to Management

don't try to fix something that's not broken

"Hard Work If Your Not Smart"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Love the people I work with at DT. Awesome DM. Something new every day. I keep busy, never a time where there is no workload. I have an awesome TEAM!!!! We all work together and aim for the same goal and everyone is happy. Just make sure to use all the tools the company provides you with to have an easy job. Work smart not hard. Give positive feedback to your employees you work with and see how much more they will work for you.

Cons

Not enough managers in a store to cover shifts when managers go on vacations.

Advice to Management

Think about the STOCKROOM SIZE of each store has and not just the sales they make. Make the adjustments to each store, so the managers are not stressing. Give the managers there Birthday off. Just that little bit of Humanity will make a difference. It shows you care and not just another Corporate America company making money. Care about your people that make it happen for you!

6. "If it's all about the money to you. Go for it"

Former Employee - Cashier in Oak Park, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Oak Park, IL

Pros

After a while the pay was nice if you're a high school student or a college student home over the summer.

Cons

At the dollar tree I worked for in oak park illinois the communication was extremely poor with their employees. I constantly felt bullied as a new employee

Advice to Management

Communication is key when it comes to having a smooth working company and respect should be given to everyone no matter the level the person is working at

"District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a good company to work for.

Cons

They keep adding more work and not enough time in the day.

"Hard work, but rewarding at times."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some merchandising creativity(nothing ever comes out exactly like the book), fun & friendly environment(depending on the current team), decent sales bonuses. As long as you follow the rules, life is "good". Benefits are decent. Advancement opportunities, promote from within. Every day is a new challenge.

Cons

Long hours, required to work 9 1/2 to 10 hours per day, usually longer; you never get out on time. Pay does not cover any extra time you put in. If someone calls in, you cover, unless a replacement can be found(depends on your current staff.) The work load is very demanding, about half the time, I bring paperwork and planning home to complete so I can spend more time with my family. They expect a lot with minimum pay offered.

Advice to Management

Always say "please" & "thank you". Treat all employees with respect. I never ask an employee to do something that I am not willing or haven't had to do myself. Be the example. Inspire your people and share your wisdom. The more they know and can do, the easier your job will be.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portage, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portage, IN

Pros

Don't have any positive things

Cons

Store managers working 55 to 60 hours a week

"Dollar Tree Distribution"

Former Employee - Order Selector in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Joliet, IL

Pros

Money is decent, and the job is not all that physically demanding lost most factories. Hours are steady and there is always option for OT

Cons

Too much mandatory over time and strict attendance policy. One minute late, is late and some times that's hard to avoid when the line to clock in is often long.

Advice to Management

Do not be as strict on attendance when it comes to being late, MOST companies give a 5min grace period, especially when too many 1min tardies will get you terminated.

Showing 54 of 2,505 reviews