Dollar Tree Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • Fast paced work environment fellow employees were amazing (in 54 reviews)

• Dollar Tree is a fast paced, ever changing company with exceptional growth opportunities (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage, not many hours 13-18 if lucky (in 126 reviews)

• If you are part time u don't get alot of hours but if u are a hard worker and awesome with customers in time u could possibly get more (in 111 reviews)

1. "The job is really easy, the customers and coworkers for the most part are great, and I would recomend for anyone."

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Seagoville, TX
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Seagoville, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working there are the people I work with/for. My coworkers are friendly and everyone gets along. My bosses will work with me on an schedule change as long as I give at least 2hrs notice but I always give more unless I'm sick.

Cons

The challenges of working here are the hours constantly getting cut, not having enough people on a shift, and not being able to get everything you are required to get done, finished. The computers/registers are always messing up and so is the air conditioning.

Advice to Management

To corporate: take better care of your stores, see to your customers comfort, and ease your employees job. Happy customers and employees makes your job easier as well.

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think it is a good place for people on a low budget to shop. At least they hired me. Some places won't hire older people. I like my coworkers. Good thing it leaves plenty of time to look for other jobs.

Cons

Not enough hours. You can't survive on this job alone. Coworkers all say the same thing. 5 minutes training for the cash register. I've never used one before and I told them that up front. The store manager snaps at me for asking questions about things that I couldn't possibly know. I think she may be burned out. Probably a a good enough person. Even a customer said "I can't believe how they treat their employees". Upper management seem to be happy. I know that sounds typical. I think there is rapid turnover by design.

Advice to Management

Be fair. Hire less people for more hours. Don't come in the store and make criticisms of the way things are and make lots of demands, then the very next day cut hours making it impossible. Just be fair. They have good people.

3. "Poor review"

Current Employee - Texas in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Grapevine, TX

Pros

I love the customers and that's the only reason I'm still there also flexibility while full time student

Cons

dollar tree doesn't care about there employees we are overworked and underpaid I wish there was a union my boss changes the schedule without telling me

Advice to Management

Think more efficiently and make realistic goals for your stores we cannot work efficiently if we have limited time also care about your employees more maybe you'd have better employment stability

5. "Great to shop there. Not so great as an employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

Easy to learn cash register system

Cons

Staffing needs to improve (hire more employees) and wages also to keep pace with other major retailers.

Advice to Management

Follow company policies as you expect employees to.

6. "Too much for too little"

Current Employee - Cashier in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, optional position choice

Cons

Unorganized shift covering, bad communication

Advice to Management

Hire more reliable people

"Retail manager"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Dollar tree is the only true dollar store I have ever experienced. the selection is fantastic, the buyers do a great job. For the most part, the upper management is experienced and professional.

Cons

As with any large well run company, budget is tight and payroll is also very tight.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key!

8. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers. Friendly staff. Love working with people.

Cons

Low hours and even lower pay.

Advice to Management

Have a competitive pay rate. People cant make it on $7.25 an hour. Make somekind of bonus incentives.

"Unstable... AWFUL"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

Very nice store management and flexible hours. They hire only adults, so most workers are atleast somewhat more mature then a young teen.

Cons

The District Managers in DFW, Texas! They are AWFUL! They will bully and harass employees. The upper senior management treats employees like NUMBERS. They make over 8 Billion dollars in revenue a year, and does NOT have a employee recogization program. If a guest gives you a comment on the survey, no rewards. They cut hours so much... they expect people working to pay for gas and time with 13 or less hours a week. They make alot and should start workers off atleast with 7.75. NO drinks including water near the registers tables, even if they are far away from the computer, you will get yelled at if upper mgt finds out.

Advice to Management

please travel around to the stores and look at it from the store POV. not just at a desk with a spreadsheet and a title. It would be good if employees knew how to contact upper management for concerns and ideas... More respect for employees.

"The Assistant Manager position I hold at Dollar Tree is the worst job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Weatherford, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Weatherford, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really aren't any pros to list here. The one exception would be that it is a paying job. I can't really say anything positive other than that.

Cons

There are basically three Assistant Manager positions available at the store I'm at. There is the Freight Assistant Manager who is supposed to oversee the unloading of the truck and the stocking of the store, the Assistant Manager for the day shift stocks and runs a register and the Closing Assistant Manager who cleans and recovers the store then counts and delivers the deposit. None of these positions are what they would be in any other retail environment I've been in. It is a management position in name only. These are basically sales and stock associate positions with a title.

Advice to Management

You will never be able to create a culture that creates associates who wish to grow with the company by paying your Assistant Managers $8.75/hr and only working them part time.

11. "Pitiful excuse for a company"

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Rockwall, TX
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Rockwall, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here are the customers. Being around them made your day worth it. The work was easy though and the pay was decent for what you did.

Cons

Terrible management that did not know how to run a store. Constantly yelling at people for the smallest of mistakes and never let cashiers even have a water bottle below their register.

Advice to Management

Look into some of the people you have managing your locations. Very unprofessional.

Showing 16 of 2,072 reviews