Dollar Tree Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • in a family oriented work environment (in 59 reviews)

• good flexible hours, nice staff (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard to get anything above minimum wage and no chance of overtime (in 132 reviews)

• Associates are only part time and sometimes it can be challenging to keep good help especially single parents trying to make it in the work force (in 116 reviews)

1. "Merch Manager"

Former Employee - Merch Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Merch Manager in Addison, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits for Full time managers.

Cons

Yes, the company is a Con.

Advice to Management

ReEvaluate the minimum starting pay for employees
    Learn to treat employees like they are worth more than 8.00 A hour. Appreciation and respect are free, and goes ALONG way.

2. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree (More than a year)

Pros

There are not any pros,with this company.

Cons

Regional team in region 10 is a joke. I have never experienced a group of people who make you feel incapable of doing your job. They are backstabbing,have no solution to problems,except to send ugly emails out. I watched them run off and gang up on a district manager. Definitely would not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Better training from the highest level to the store level. Training programs are a joke.

"Merchandise Manager"

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great customers good merchandise best prices

Cons

Way too much work for unloading boxes for 2 people
    People wouldn't show up for work because they were getting paid 8.00 to unload 2300 boxes
    It's a shame of Dollar tree to not offer more
    Unless you have a background and can't get anything else or a high school student this job is a dump.
    Stores always messy...people dnt show while gm makes 45,000 or more

Advice to Management

Help your team and your stores. Gm should be doing more than putting out seasonal. ..Dollar Tree needs a company restructuring

4. "Not the best place."

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed most the people I worked with. I loved most the customers as well. Some days were pretty good others just drained you

Cons

Put you thru a lot. If they don't like you they will find anyway possible to make you quit and when that don't work they will write you up for things you didn't do. And when you refuse to sign them they will tell you that you are suspended until further notice. And than they simply don't ever return your calls and when you reach out to human resources or next available. They don't want to return your phone calls or emails either.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn to deal with there own battles and not push them off on everyone else.

5. "Poor review"

Current Employee - Texas in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Grapevine, TX

Pros

I love the customers and that's the only reason I'm still there also flexibility while full time student

Cons

dollar tree doesn't care about there employees we are overworked and underpaid I wish there was a union my boss changes the schedule without telling me

Advice to Management

Think more efficiently and make realistic goals for your stores we cannot work efficiently if we have limited time also care about your employees more maybe you'd have better employment stability

"You Will Be A Highly Paid Cashier and Stocker"

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

This is a true dollar store by the way. Nothing is priced over a dollar. You will have no competition from anywhere on most of your food etc. Party section is phenomenal.Great customers. Super high income people that got that way by being cheap. And some of the saddest homeless people that you'll ever meet that can only eat at a dollar store. Product mix is amazing! Great buyers locate the best groceries I've ever seen for a buck. Many imported items from Europe in the food and snack areas offer a tremendous value to your customers.

Cons

You will be worked to death. I worked 37 straight days last Christmas with absolutely no days off. I was forced to pay no more than 7.25 an hour to all of my cashiers and stockers. In my area of 25,000 people all of the other retail stores pay much hire to hire the best help leaving my store with the worst employees. Almost everyone had a criminal history with their mugshots posted online! These are the types of people that i was to have handle my merchandise and cash. No security cameras in my store. Bathrooms located deep in the stockroom forcing the public to wander around my backroom tripping over merchandise.No alarms on stockroom doors. i could never tell who was walking around my backroom. Very common for young female stockers to be walked upon by total strangers behind stacks of boxes. This is a disaster waiting to happen. My store was without management for months before I was assigned to it. The backroom was in total chaos. Dollar tree doesn't have any shelving in any of its backrooms. Fire Marshall had been called out over 3 times to this location.If you get a 1500 piece truck, you will unload each and every carton by hand. No totes, bins,pallets,racks...nothing. You will drag an archaic set of steel rollers and adjust the height to the back of the truck if you're unlucky enough to not have a back dock. Since Dollar Tree purchased Family Dollar there is no labor given to you to have people work your stock out. Labor hours are awarded based on sales. No sales. No labor hours + you will run the entire operation by yourself. Can't get sales if you can't get the stock out of the backroom, again no labor hours. Get the picture? I struggled to find people to unload 1800 piece trucks in the pouring rain at 5 AM when they could go to Arbys and get paid 10.00 an hour. You are expected to be constantly hiring. That's what you will be told repeatedly. They know you're store will be a revolving door.I was told "forget about trying to hire the best just keep hiring...cause all of the bad ones will weed themselves out". I literally ran out of people to hire in my area. Most had criminal records. The rest you couldn't use because they worked too slow and Dollar Tree TIMES everyone's cashiering and stocking rates.rates. Thats right I couldn't keep good people because they were a little slower than the expected rate of stocking merchandise. The success of your store is based upon you having a group of people that are comfortable working for minimum wage and only 5 to 15 hours a week. Yes, thats the limit to the hours you can schedule your people. I was forced to also schedule people no more than 4 or 5 hour shifts to avoid having to give a lunch. People won't do this for minimum wage in a competitive wage market.My store was absolutely filthy with a horrible floor, holes in the walls, leaking roof that would destroy ceiling tiles causing them to crash down onto the floor.Walls were original color from over a decade ago.Dollar tree refused to make any improvements to this store.They are cheap so be prepared for no copiers or fax machines in your office.After working 82 hours in one week I decided that the work life balance didn't exist. Do the math if you are salary at 35 to 45k a year, what is that really after 60 to 75 hours a week?

Advice to Management

Hire better district managers. Have regional managers visit every store in their district regularly. Establish a way to actually submit an idea to the company! Refresh stores that are in areas of expanding growth so they remain vibrant and competitive.Analyze the average wage trends in a stores local market to determine if it can attract decent talent. Do away with the amounts of redundant daily procedures that cripple the daily productivity. Reduce the amount of daily handwritten forms and procedures required weekly and daily.Allow managers the freedom to innovate and inspire on their own without micromanaging their routines to the exact hour. Recognize talent when you hire it and be relentless in nurturing it to strengthen the future of the company.Stay on top of merchandising trends. Stop the triple handling and counting of cash repeatedly that wastes time and creates more opportunity for mistakes and theft.

"Unstable... AWFUL"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

Very nice store management and flexible hours. They hire only adults, so most workers are atleast somewhat more mature then a young teen.

Cons

The District Managers in DFW, Texas! They are AWFUL! They will bully and harass employees. The upper senior management treats employees like NUMBERS. They make over 8 Billion dollars in revenue a year, and does NOT have a employee recogization program. If a guest gives you a comment on the survey, no rewards. They cut hours so much... they expect people working to pay for gas and time with 13 or less hours a week. They make alot and should start workers off atleast with 7.75. NO drinks including water near the registers tables, even if they are far away from the computer, you will get yelled at if upper mgt finds out.

Advice to Management

please travel around to the stores and look at it from the store POV. not just at a desk with a spreadsheet and a title. It would be good if employees knew how to contact upper management for concerns and ideas... More respect for employees.

"slave ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree (More than 3 years)

Pros

pro's lets see... none besides the fact it's a job

Cons

2 people working at all times. one on the front the other in the office probably gossiping about how bad the other managers are. the store is trashy n falling apart in the one i worked in. we had no air for 3 weeks n nothing changed.... pay is below 8 dollars... rude customers who feels like they're better than you. jus a bad environment overall with low pay.

Advice to Management

pay your cashiers more and show some respect to your people when u walk n the store n dont speak. how rude.

9. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

To gain knowledge of management without needing a bachelor's degree

Cons

80 hr weeks, high turn over, low pay,

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees

10. "Store Manager Position"

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Excellent Training for the time frame of 5 weeks

Cons

You are never told when released from a 45 hour a week training class that you will be putting in 65-72 hours a week. There is no support from district management team.

Advice to Management

take care of your employees and they will in return take care of you.

Showing 16 of 2,187 reviews