Dollar Tree Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Dollar Tree Dallas Reviews

Updated April 4, 2017

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Area

Pros
  • in a family oriented work environment (in 58 reviews)

• Dollar Tree is a fast paced, ever changing company with exceptional growth opportunities (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees are minimum wage so staying can be an issue (in 129 reviews)

• If you are part time u don't get alot of hours but if u are a hard worker and awesome with customers in time u could possibly get more (in 113 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fast paced environment
    - Friendly Co-Workers
    - Free to converse with customers during transactions
    - Experience selling product

Cons

- Standing in same place for long time
    - Customers try to trick you into giving them extra cash back
    - Low wage
    - Little opportunity for growth in the company

Advice to Management

Maintain a positive attitude when talking to your employees and warn cashiers about customers fraud attempts ahead of time.

2. "Great to shop there. Not so great as an employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

Easy to learn cash register system

Cons

Staffing needs to improve (hire more employees) and wages also to keep pace with other major retailers.

Advice to Management

Follow company policies as you expect employees to.

3. "Too much for too little"

Current Employee - Cashier in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, optional position choice

Cons

Unorganized shift covering, bad communication

Advice to Management

Hire more reliable people

"Retail manager"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Dollar tree is the only true dollar store I have ever experienced. the selection is fantastic, the buyers do a great job. For the most part, the upper management is experienced and professional.

Cons

As with any large well run company, budget is tight and payroll is also very tight.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key!

6. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers. Friendly staff. Love working with people.

Cons

Low hours and even lower pay.

Advice to Management

Have a competitive pay rate. People cant make it on $7.25 an hour. Make somekind of bonus incentives.

"You Will Be A Highly Paid Cashier and Stocker"

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

This is a true dollar store by the way. Nothing is priced over a dollar. You will have no competition from anywhere on most of your food etc. Party section is phenomenal.Great customers. Super high income people that got that way by being cheap. And some of the saddest homeless people that you'll ever meet that can only eat at a dollar store. Product mix is amazing! Great buyers locate the best groceries I've ever seen for a buck. Many imported items from Europe in the food and snack areas offer a tremendous value to your customers.

Cons

You will be worked to death. I worked 37 straight days last Christmas with absolutely no days off. I was forced to pay no more than 7.25 an hour to all of my cashiers and stockers. In my area of 25,000 people all of the other retail stores pay much hire to hire the best help leaving my store with the worst employees. Almost everyone had a criminal history with their mugshots posted online! These are the types of people that i was to have handle my merchandise and cash. No security cameras in my store. Bathrooms located deep in the stockroom forcing the public to wander around my backroom tripping over merchandise.No alarms on stockroom doors. i could never tell who was walking around my backroom. Very common for young female stockers to be walked upon by total strangers behind stacks of boxes. This is a disaster waiting to happen. My store was without management for months before I was assigned to it. The backroom was in total chaos. Dollar tree doesn't have any shelving in any of its backrooms. Fire Marshall had been called out over 3 times to this location.If you get a 1500 piece truck, you will unload each and every carton by hand. No totes, bins,pallets,racks...nothing. You will drag an archaic set of steel rollers and adjust the height to the back of the truck if you're unlucky enough to not have a back dock. Since Dollar Tree purchased Family Dollar there is no labor given to you to have people work your stock out. Labor hours are awarded based on sales. No sales. No labor hours + you will run the entire operation by yourself. Can't get sales if you can't get the stock out of the backroom, again no labor hours. Get the picture? I struggled to find people to unload 1800 piece trucks in the pouring rain at 5 AM when they could go to Arbys and get paid 10.00 an hour. You are expected to be constantly hiring. That's what you will be told repeatedly. They know you're store will be a revolving door.I was told "forget about trying to hire the best just keep hiring...cause all of the bad ones will weed themselves out". I literally ran out of people to hire in my area. Most had criminal records. The rest you couldn't use because they worked too slow and Dollar Tree TIMES everyone's cashiering and stocking rates.rates. Thats right I couldn't keep good people because they were a little slower than the expected rate of stocking merchandise. The success of your store is based upon you having a group of people that are comfortable working for minimum wage and only 5 to 15 hours a week. Yes, thats the limit to the hours you can schedule your people. I was forced to also schedule people no more than 4 or 5 hour shifts to avoid having to give a lunch. People won't do this for minimum wage in a competitive wage market.My store was absolutely filthy with a horrible floor, holes in the walls, leaking roof that would destroy ceiling tiles causing them to crash down onto the floor.Walls were original color from over a decade ago.Dollar tree refused to make any improvements to this store.They are cheap so be prepared for no copiers or fax machines in your office.After working 82 hours in one week I decided that the work life balance didn't exist. Do the math if you are salary at 35 to 45k a year, what is that really after 60 to 75 hours a week?

Advice to Management

Hire better district managers. Have regional managers visit every store in their district regularly. Establish a way to actually submit an idea to the company! Refresh stores that are in areas of expanding growth so they remain vibrant and competitive.Analyze the average wage trends in a stores local market to determine if it can attract decent talent. Do away with the amounts of redundant daily procedures that cripple the daily productivity. Reduce the amount of daily handwritten forms and procedures required weekly and daily.Allow managers the freedom to innovate and inspire on their own without micromanaging their routines to the exact hour. Recognize talent when you hire it and be relentless in nurturing it to strengthen the future of the company.Stay on top of merchandising trends. Stop the triple handling and counting of cash repeatedly that wastes time and creates more opportunity for mistakes and theft.

"Unstable... AWFUL"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

Very nice store management and flexible hours. They hire only adults, so most workers are atleast somewhat more mature then a young teen.

Cons

The District Managers in DFW, Texas! They are AWFUL! They will bully and harass employees. The upper senior management treats employees like NUMBERS. They make over 8 Billion dollars in revenue a year, and does NOT have a employee recogization program. If a guest gives you a comment on the survey, no rewards. They cut hours so much... they expect people working to pay for gas and time with 13 or less hours a week. They make alot and should start workers off atleast with 7.75. NO drinks including water near the registers tables, even if they are far away from the computer, you will get yelled at if upper mgt finds out.

Advice to Management

please travel around to the stores and look at it from the store POV. not just at a desk with a spreadsheet and a title. It would be good if employees knew how to contact upper management for concerns and ideas... More respect for employees.

9. "Decent Company o work for"

Former Employee - District Store Trainer in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - District Store Trainer in Garland, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great bonus structure, Minimal corporate visits

Cons

Long seasonal hours, Minimal hours. Low waged for hourly employees

Advice to Management

If you work hard, advancement is fairly simple

10. "inventory/stocker"

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours are good for part time.

Cons

cant go full time unless management.

11. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Manager in Wilmer, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Wilmer, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people ok environment. Great customers who are loyal and friendly. A couple team members who deserve much better then what they're getting now.

Cons

Very unorganized location with employees who treat it as a play place versus a place of employment.

Advice to Management

Need to be more professional

Showing 39 of 2,132 reviews