Dollar Tree Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

2,059 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Fast paced work environment fellow employees were amazing (in 54 reviews)

• Dollar Tree is a fast paced, ever changing company with exceptional growth opportunities (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage, not many hours 13-18 if lucky (in 126 reviews)

• If you are part time u don't get alot of hours but if u are a hard worker and awesome with customers in time u could possibly get more (in 111 reviews)

1. "Good place to work with great advancement!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Most of the store is a flex area which allows for management to use their merchandising experience and talents to pretty much do as they see fit!

Cons

A lot of hours, especially when you are required to cut hours. Sometimes you are expected to work all your frieght to the floor when you have to cut your hours down to the point that there are only 2 people in your entire store working. Sometimes working open to close.

Advice to Management

Hours. Give the stores the hours that they need to keep their stores nice and full and CLEAN.

2. "Dollar Tree is a GREAT place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, WA

Pros

They are a debt free company. No chance of them going under and filing bankruptcy. There is alot of opportunities with Dollar Tree, you just have to want it. They have fun and exciting merchandise.

Cons

I have NO big complaints. Hours were an issue, but i understand the process.

Advice to Management

Push Proper traing for management and associates.

"Great Company to work for corporate side"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Great work environment and good benefits on the corporate side. Company offers fun activities and takes care of employees. Very strong growth and leadership.

Cons

Dependent on what department you are in there is limited growth opportunity. Advertise promotion with in but only to some extent and mostly for field management (store, district and regional managers)

Advice to Management

Promote more within on the corporate side, move to different departments if applicable.

5. "The best job I've had in 25 years......"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

My store manager is the GREATEST....... She is always there for me and she takes time to answer my silly questions or give feedback when I ask.....
    People I work with are the BEST...... I am the newest member of our team, but everyone treats me like part of the family.....makes going to work so nice.......thanks..,...

Cons

The biggest downfall of this position is definately the salary. I do understand it's just a Dollar Store, but I do work extremely hard EVERY DAY......It should at least be comparible in the economy we live.

Advice to Management

From what I've seen so far, the management staff at our store could use a pick me up. We do work very hard and it seems it;s always without even a simple thanks.....it would go a long way. We are not perfect by any means, but every day we do try our best......

"Great for a first job"

Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

The store management is very friendly and laid back. Easy to get a day off or a week off if you need it. Every day is interesting.

Cons

It's my first job, got it during my senior year of high school, so the pay of course is only ten cents above minimum wage. You don't really have any control over the hours you get scheduled, so I often have to call my manager at the beginning of the week to let her know about conflicts with my class schedule; though she is always happy to accomodate it. The job gets a little repetitive and tedious at times. You can get fired for listening to music.

Advice to Management

Let people have more control over the hours they work. And for goodness sake play some music. At least during Christmas season.

"The Best Company I Ever Worked For!"

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Marietta, OK
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Marietta, OK

Pros

Dollar Tree strives to do the best for their associates. In the DC, Full Time associates do not have to pay for any of their benefits. They receive bonuses for production. There are many reward and recognition programs in place. They have annual picnics and Christmas parties for the associates and give out thousands of dollars in prizes and gifts. I know this was so where I was employed. The opportunity for one to advance is there with the "Green Shirt Program", if the associate meets the requirements. I can not say enough why this is a GREAT company to work for.

Cons

Just in my case, since I was in management, I worked long hours. This is the only thing I can say on the downside, however, being in management for years, this is expected.

Advice to Management

Senior Managment Level-were terrific. Communicated on a daily basis. I can not say enough about my DM as she was there for us whenever we needed information. All the Upper Mgmt were professional and I welcomed them coming to the DC as I always learned from them. I especially had high respect for the Chief Logistic Officer as he made it a point to communicate with all the associates when he came to visit. When I retired, he personally called me...how many people in his position would do that? And, Bob Sasser has lead DT to the successful company it has become.
    L1 and L2 Managers-Need to practice what they learn in the Foundations For Leadership Course and interact with the associates.Give positive or constructional feedback to the associate. Give annual reviews on time. Build relationships with ALL associates. Be fair and consistent with everyone and not show partiality. Be respectful with their communications to associates and other managers. Not talk about other associates or managers to their employees or the other management team. Overall, most didn't do this, however, if one did any of the above on occasion, the morale of the team would suffer. And, when I say the team, I am talking about everyone in the DC.

8. "Fantastic Family"

Current Employee - Cashier in Gilbertsville, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gilbertsville, PA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the Dollar Tree is like a family. The job is simplified to make anyone looking for employment with them easy and doable.

Cons

Not enough hours (but that is everywhere now a days, isn't it?) Otherwise I believe I haven't come across anything bad about the job thus far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Love working for the company, you guys have a good grasp on how a business should be ran. Kudos!!

"pretty sweet job"

Current Employee - Freight Processor in Somersworth, NH
    Current Employee - Freight Processor in Somersworth, NH

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great place to work and great people to work with

Cons

not enough hours for what i need but im not going anywhere

Advice to Management

keep it up

10. "Its a fun loving atmosphere"

Current Employee - Cashier in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

we are like a family, even if we move to other jobs we some will still come by to visit. we call each other by nicknames. the customers love the store we get compliments all the time, they joke with the staff. we make them feel at home as best as we can.

Cons

not very many cons we get the occasional mean costumer, but overall everything is great there

Advice to Management

its ok to be nice and friendly to your fellow coworkers we wont think you are not doing your job, if anything it makes us want to come to work and work for you.

11. "An Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing, highly efficient company that has outstanding processes to control cost and maximize value to its customers and associates.

Cons

Very flat organization so upward mobility is limited at senior levels. Lots of opportunity for entry and mid-level .

Showing 2,059 of 2,070 reviews