Dollar Tree Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

2,128 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • in a family oriented work environment (in 58 reviews)

• Dollar Tree is a fast paced, ever changing company with exceptional growth opportunities (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage for hourly employees, limited to 20 to 25 hours a week (in 131 reviews)

• If you are part time u don't get alot of hours but if u are a hard worker and awesome with customers in time u could possibly get more (in 114 reviews)

1. "ASM"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dollar Tree (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedules,company matches your contribution in 401 K. Vacation time given based on years of employment. Bonus program for full time managers

Cons

Before accepting employment with this company . one must be prepared to sacrifice personal time. If a person is not serious about making a success of this job ,best to move on

2. "You can do so much better"

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock Associate
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock Associate

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work. Was hired on the spot. Most of my customer interactions were positive. Store manager was nice and treated me with respect.

Cons

The job gets repetitive, which led to boredom. I liked working closings, but was taken off of them since I could not do the night deposit the way they wanted. I also liked opening on Sundays...that is, until they changed their hours. It didn't stop customers from lining up outside the door 15 minutes before opening because the store would not advertise the new hours.

They work on a skeleton crew, meaning that there is one cashier per shift along with a manager as backup who is usually out stocking shelves or doing paperwork. There were four lanes in the store, but only two will be utilized most of the time. If the backup goes on break (or is in a conference call) and the cashier gets slammed, then that is where the trouble starts with impatient customers. No one wants to work for what they pay or the hours they offer, so it is never fully staffed.

Training is a joke. You sit at a computer doing iLearn, and that is not enough to prepare you. They expect you to know all the rules (most which are archaic) going into the job, even if they were never explained to you. As I said, most of my customer experiences were positive, but there was always one or two that would be nasty no matter how outstanding my service was (Especially the ones who treated the place like a full service grocery store or would get angry at the store's exchange policy).

The mood in the store was mostly bleak and hopeless. That is what you get when the DM sets unrealistic goals. Many of us would bring in $1,000 a shift on occasion without praise (It doesn't take but a second to say "Way to go" or "Good job". That's all many of us wanted to hear.). I had level registers most of the time, but they would get antsy if I had a numerous amount of item voids because that is considered shrink loss (even if it was just a customer not wanting an item).

Callouts and people being late were common. For the most, I did not get more than 15 hours a week (the norm was 9-12 hours a week). Also, I got only one 10 minute break per shift.

They will write you up for a shortage/overage of $3 or over and will warn you that repeated occurrences will lead to suspension or termination. They call these write ups "counseling". The truth is it's just a paper trail that is on a bridge to nowhere. They will also pile on petty offenses and add them to the write ups as well (And depending who was handing the write up, it almost bordered on a vendetta).

There was always a double standard of "Do as I say, don't do as I do" with some management as they would get away with things that they would chastise the cashiers for (calling people nicknames, playing music on their phones before opening or after closing, etc). I never felt secure in my job.

After having enough of their fun and games, it was time to leave. I have not even been back in as a customer (I never shopped there before I started working there, so why would I now?). The truth is that you can do so much better than Dollar Tree.

Advice to Management

The most important asset of any company is human capital. If you treat your employees with respect and let them know they are doing a great job, then you will get employees that enjoy what they are doing. Unfortunately, Dollar Tree is caught up in the tired mentality of putting profits over people. Every once in a while there was a thank you for a job well done, but it was far and few in between. As one of the managers told me on my next to last day, "In this job, you don't get a 'thank you'. You should know that by now.". Wake up, Sasser. This mentality is prevalent in many of your stores.

3. "SUBPAR"

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

Customer diversity, is all i can think of.

Cons

Minimum wage, with no employee benefits for part-time worker. Limited advancement opportunities and the most inconsistent scheduling i've experienced.

Advice to Management

Provide incentives for your part-time hardworking employees. Improve scheduling.

5. "Unprofessional"

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job can be very fun. I loved receiving new merchandise, filling shelves, and building endcaps. The customers are amazing. I have met some amazing and hardworking coworkers. Health insurance and bonuses. Vacations.

Cons

Management can be unprofessional. Personal business gets in the way. Gossiping is not the way to take care of a problem. Leadership lacks.

Advice to Management

Act professionally. Keep personal business at home. Communication. Lead by example.

6. "Merch Manager"

Former Employee - Merch Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Merch Manager in Addison, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits for Full time managers.

Cons

Yes, the company is a Con.

Advice to Management

ReEvaluate the minimum starting pay for employees
    Learn to treat employees like they are worth more than 8.00 A hour. Appreciation and respect are free, and goes ALONG way.

7. "Assistant manager"

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time

Pros

Always a Fast paced work enviornment

Cons

Poorly staffed during peak days and time

Advice to Management

Listen to the worker in your stores and train for advancement

8. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Evansville, IN

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

meet a lot of great people

Cons

was fired for not writing down the right deposit. fired me over the phone. I was there for 8yrs. but store manager takes off never works what she is scheduled, but I'm the bad one!!! she cheats them out of time each week.

Advice to Management

do your job!!!

9. "Cashier and stocker"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kenhorst, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kenhorst, PA

I worked at Dollar Tree (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was left go on what I said and they thought it was racist I worked there over 3 years pulled a double and still came to work on my day off like I said do not work there and don't waste your time

Cons

Do not work there at all

Advice to Management

Pretect your coworkers more and fight for them

10. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kissimmee, FL

I worked at Dollar Tree (More than 5 years)

Pros

Assistant mgmt very professional. Clean

Cons

Low pay, no hours,you need a doctor's note if you miss one shift

Advice to Management

Respect your loyal employees

11. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seasonal items for 1.00 is awsome

Cons

Skeletal structured of hours, for freight, recovery, and cashiering, if you are a hands on leader by show as an example your store will be succesful

Advice to Management

Control of payroll is a must, know your people and get very productive people and keep them with good amount of hours if not prepare your self to train a lot of new associate monthly

Showing 2,128 of 2,139 reviews