Dollarama Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dollarama CEO Larry Rossy
Larry Rossy

Pros
  • Was an okay job for first job, gave me experience (in 9 reviews)

• Meet some great people working there (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, monotonous, tedious at times (in 13 reviews)

• You pay minimum wage which is bad enough for what's expected, then keep cutting the stores hours down (in 12 reviews)

1. "Boring, predictable work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kitchener, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kitchener, MS

I worked at Dollarama part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn how to cope with busy customer service hours, meet new people, practice cashier skills, good for starting point if it's the first job

Cons

Tiring, repetitive, dull, not mentally-challenging, typical retail position; not recommended for those become overwhelmed by large crowds and sometimes angry customers

2. "manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Unionville, Burlington, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Unionville, Burlington, NJ

I worked at Dollarama (More than a year)

Pros

lots of opportunities and decent training

Cons

HIGH turnover , not enough resources to complete targets

Advice to Management

pay managers a salary as opposed to hourly for a 40 hour work week!

3. "The same as every other person that reviewed it here"

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Kitchener, MS
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Kitchener, MS

I have been working at Dollarama part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire often because of frequent turnover

Cons

Unsafe working conditions, Poor communications, Over Abundance of criticism with no praise or thanks for good work. Employees are constantly accused of stealing or suspected of stealing and yet they have no decent loss prevention programs for shoplifters. Every day the policies change and they make it harder to meet the expectations of added workload and shorter hours to do it in. The have no strategy to deal with completing work during busy hours while customer demand for staff time is high

Advice to Management

Teach your regional managers to communicate better with staff and help with team building skills. Come and learn about the unsafe conditions of limited space, poor equipment and bad skid packing. Put All managers through a week at cash during the busiest seasons... then make them stock shelves during a busy season and be called to back up cash. And give store managers the right to carry a phone so that the cashier doesn't have to answer calls all day long from head office, other store managers, regional managers ... The main cashier has now become the store manager's secretary! The phone rings constantly for Store managers and Cashiers have to answer it much more frequently while dealing with line ups at cash... Even customers are getting frustrated with this.

5. "Clerk"

Former Employee - Clerk in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Clerk in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Dollarama (Less than a year)

Pros

A brand that can add attractions to your experience
    Very small part you are in charge of, you bear less responsibility
    Annual review and wage increase guaranteed

Cons

Pay is low
    Did not see a prosperity for advancements

6. "Review as Keyholder/Supervisor"

Current Employee - Keyholder in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

You learn very important and valuable skills such as management skills, critical thinking, customer care and so on...

It is a nice first job.

Cons

There is always work to do, but you do get 15 minute paid breaks and 30 minutes unpaid lunches depending on how many hours you work.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your workers... Connect with them and show them that you trust and respect them. Keep them happy and they will always do their work well.

7. "Stress free job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I worked at Dollarama part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is very simple. We get to meet and talk to many people everyday which is the best part of the work.
    Fun environment. Awesome colleagues

Cons

No growth no matter for how long you work. The pay is minimum and it is difficult to get good hours

8. "littt"

Pros

it was a great environment

Cons

horrible customers. but not the fault of the company

Advice to Management

nothig

"Dollarama is Spying on Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

I receive regular hours because I can stock my shelves quickly. They hire all ethnicity and reflective of store's neighbourhood.

Cons

1. Full-Time & Part-Time must UNIONIZE. Managers are constantly adding our workload. First we had to clean isles, then it was restock shelves Tuesdays promptly, now it's run to cash register when there's a surge in customers. Management only TELLS but doesn't teach us how this can be done effectively & safely.

2. Dollarama installed Security Cameras & in-store Security Officer. I notice backroom watching STAFF activities more than customers. These cameras pressure us to perform & take our breaks as we are told.

Security Officer is contracted out so staff don't know them. Security is hired to protect Dollarama assets - not staff.

Dollarama is looking out for it's expansion and profits. It's not protecting workers. I'd rather work at McDonalds for more benefits and advancement.

YEAH McDonalds is better than Dollarama.

Advice to Management

Dollarama seeks to expand & compete in Canada's marketplace. Good - we're going to push for a Union. I hope Mr. Rossy enjoys his chats with UFCW Canada

"Store Manager"

I worked at Dollarama full-time

Pros

Many opportunities, fast growing company, lots of work, good training, see the results of you work immediately, hard working team, you get paid for every hour you work, birthday pay for full-time employees.

Cons

Physically demanding, must work long hours to reach decent salary, below average benefits, corporate environment allows for little input or entrepreneurial feedback, not much trust from upper management makes atmosphere hard to work in at times.

Advice to Management

Salary instead of hourly pay, better sick time benefit, allow for more input from store level management, trust your people!

11. "Key Holder"

I worked at Dollarama full-time

Pros

Great staff and store Manager. You feel safe working there. Great safety rules and standers. But thats about all thats good

Cons

District managers always changing. Keeps adding more responsibilites with every change. Pushes alot of employees to exhaustion and they end up quiting.