Dom and Tom Reviews | Glassdoor

Dom and Tom Reviews

4.5
Dominic Tancredi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun place to work, great place to grow."

Current Employee - Senior Web Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Web Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Dom and Tom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dom & Tom, the founders, are the embodiment of integrity, and genuinely care about the software and products that they build. The people and the culture of DO GOOD BE GOOD really is a thing and I promise I am not a shill.

For an agency, there are quite a few challenging and interesting projects beyond that of simple crud apps. There is also a genuine interest in emerging technologies and an openness to discuss and use new tech where it make sense.

For a Junior - Mid Level Developer - Dom and Tom is an excellent place to learn how to build web applications, deployments, best practices, and sometimes what not to do ಠ_ಠ. There is always a focus on learning something new. Most of the dev here are passionate about something and are willing to teach you.

For more Senior Developers, its a great place to learn software life cycle management, sprint planning, client interactions, and software estimations. There are also challenging projects that require architectural or scalable solutions which are rewarding to work on.

There are many talented people here (especially the designers, product, and UX/UI people).

There is not really a culture of gossip, backstabbing, anything like that, I have never felt that way. The people are what make this company really great.

Cons

- Software development process needs improvement, but there have been strides to standardize the development process, in terms of team structure, and frameworks/tools.

- Always work to be done, can feel overwhelming at times, but over all its rewarding when everything works and the clients are blown away.

- Some not so nice clients, but i think that is just agency life and it comes with the territory. Sometimes you get clients that are just amazing to work with and it's a rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

- Continue to DO GOOD BE GOOD and maintain the culture you have. You're people are your best asset.
    - Don't let bad actors derail projects, address non-team players sooner.
    - Continue to improve development process, standardize development practices.

"Used to be great"

I worked at Dom and Tom full-time

Pros

Their motto is "do good, be good", and for a very long time, the company really did live up to that. I genuinely enjoyed going to work every day, even through the tough deadlines, because we got to make great things with great people. It is still quite a fun place to work, especially if you're on the young side. It's well-suited for those looking for a "work hard, play hard" environment. I've also personally learned a lot from the CEO. There's no denying he knows his stuff.

Cons

Somewhere along the lines last year, it became less about "do good, be good". People mattered less. Personalities mattered more. And this gave rise to one or two non-management individuals with large personalities and loud voices becoming the only voices in the room that management listened to. Favoritism and bias meant that most of us were viewed as expendable, or simply that our opinions mattered less than the loud voices, regardless of our skill level or merits. This effect ruined the experience for most of us.

On top of that, management became less trusting and more micro-managing. This all led to a general devaluing of us, and it for sure has affected what was once a great culture.

Advice to Management

Go back to listening and trusting your people. Don't simply listen to the loudest in the room. One or two loud people can (and have) ruin it for the rest of us.

Dom and Tom Response

Apr 13, 2018 – Content Strategist

Thank you for your feedback and review of Dom & Tom. We are committed to a transparent and collaborative environment for our employees, and we are disappointed to hear that your experience became... More

"Most Dynamic Company I've Worked For"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dom and Tom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The production teams I worked with were incredibly talented. We were able to work collaboratively and efficiently because each team member had significant domain knowledge.

- It was fast and easy to gain new skills because the client industries varied significantly

Cons

- Unpredictable product context switching
    - Disjointed internal communications
    - Reactive organizational change

Advice to Management

- Hone in on marketing strategies that communicate production team's areas of expertise (blockchain seminars were rad!)

- Identify ways to keep talent engaged/invested at various hierarchical levels of the business

- Showcase talent within your teams externally in addition to championing them internally

"I had a great experience working at Dom & Tom. Learned a lot."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Dom and Tom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that works at Dom & Tom is always willing to help out with anything your working on or any questions you may have. Availability is almost instant via Slack even all the way up to the top to Dom or Tom.

Cons

Sometimes when a project ends, your employment can end as well, but this is just the nature of the consulting business.

Advice to Management

Try to build up reserves for a bench between projects. Put them to work on internal or side-projects or pair-program on another client project.

"Amazing Place to work"

I have been working at Dom and Tom full-time

Pros

Hard working culture that pushes you to learn quickly

Cons

Fast moving culture were things get left undone

"Visual Design Intern"

Former Employee - Visual Design Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Dom and Tom (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture among employees

Cons

Overcrowded. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

"My experience thusfar"

I have been working at Dom and Tom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For young entrepreneurs and professionals looking to pioneer their career, I highly recommend Dom & Tom. Even for those who are unsure what career they want to pursue, Dom & Tom is a company that can provide, teach, and expand the breadth of your knowledge in every facet of the company. Spread across three cities, D&T is comprised of a variety of people and personality, all whom come from different backgrounds, majors, jobs, families, and lives. However, everyone is genuinely interested and invested in not only the company but each other.

Now, to real experiences that might be of help to you as you search for your job: Dom & Tom is a place where I experienced and learned about every facet of how a company runs, grows, and develops. Dom & Tom gave me time, mentoring, and the resources to figure out what kind of job was a good fit for me and if there wasn't an already existing job in the company, they curated one that fit my needs and the company needs. You have to be prepared to roll up your sleeves and take your job by the collar and lead it. Dom & Tom provides an environment in which you can pioneer and nurture the career you dreamt of - even as it pivots along the way. The beautiful thing is that Dom & Tom is a young, tech company that learns, grows and pivots with you.

When I first started working at Dom & Tom, it was intense. I came straight from college and was unsure of how a real job worked! However, as time passed, I realized that Dom & Tom will patiently wait for you to grow and fill the shoes of whichever position it is you are currently hired for or looking to promote into. However, if nothing fits your goals, Dom & Tom is also there to help you articulate, plan, and execute a career path for you. It's truly a place where you can go to get a unique experience.

* I highly recommend intraprenuers to look into Dom & Tom. It's truly a space where you can grow and make an impact - you will never become a "number on a page" or get "lost in the cubicles." Each and every team member is heard and their impact felt.

Cons

Due to the fact that Dom & Tom is a vastly growing company, there are frustrations surrounding process and resources. However, Dom & Tom is very receptive and collaborative in finding solutions that work for all disciplines.

"Love coming to work"

I have been working at Dom and Tom full-time

Pros

awesome funny people
    unlimited vacation, sick days, lots of holidays
    opportunity to work on new emerging technology
    professional growth opportunities

Cons

gets very very busy in 4th quarter. Company is always in a constant state of growth.

Advice to Management

slow down, take a breath, smell the roses, don't overwork your selves or your team

"Software Enginner"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dom and Tom (Less than a year)

Pros

Very kind people.
    Flexibility about technologies and times.

Cons

There are times where you have to move so much between projects.
    Project Managers switch between projects, making lose some knowledge with them.

"A great place to work!"

Pros

It's no coincidence that every review here mentions how great the culture is. It goes a long way in making Dom & Tom a great company to work for. They truly care about their employees and that kind of genuine, simple kindness is something I've yet to see anywhere else.

Cons

The contracts are constructed in a way that make it very difficult for every department to do their job as well as they can/should.

Advice to Management

Push back on clients. If they don't know what they want, give the team time to help them figure that out.