Dominican Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nursing Supervisor"

Current Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Santa Cruz, CA

Pros

The staff are some of the best I have ever worked with

Cons

Quite a distance from where I live

Advice to Management

Make your hiring process easier

2. "Leadership by Fear and Threat"

Current Employee - CCRN, RN, BSN in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - CCRN, RN, BSN in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Dominican Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Cafeteria is well stocked
    - Nursing staff is helpful
    - Always open shifts
    - You are working in Santa Cruz

Cons

- Nursing management leads by fear
    - Frequently understaffed including nights without charge nurse
    - Communication to nursing staff is always in the form of a threat
    - Cerner charting makes good patient care almost impossible

Advice to Management

Threatening nurses and leading by fear is directly linked to your extreme turnover rates. Put the pieces together and figure it out. Patients are suffering.

"Not the same Dominican"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Dominican Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good other than that I would never recommend anyone to work at any Dignity facility.

Cons

I started at Dominican when it was just Dominican, then CHW came in, it wasn't too bad but once it changed to "Dignity" the mentality changed. Managers were hired that didn't have a clue, as long as they could cut cut cut they were kept. After 27 years I lost my job due to consolidation of services. They offered no training in another department, I was told if an opening became available I could apply for it. Or reapply for my job in AZ. God help the over worked people that remain at this facility.

Advice to Management

Get a clue I guess your motto doesn't apply to the employees. "Human Kindness", what a joke. As long as you can make a profit your happy.

4. "If you want an organization that messes with your paycheck, eliminates your pension, tolerates bad behaving adm/ MDs.."

Current Employee - Staff RN in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Dominican Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most workers care very much, that's why they're unhappy about the poor management.

Cons

The administration. Centralized employee services, no accountability, rotating management, some bully MDs. Don't waste your youth here, go someplace with more competition, the hospitals will treat you better because you can just walk across the street. High cost of living. Decent wages, but new contracts have big give aways. TEAM timecard system is torture if you've got management that doesn't do their part. HR is clueless. Consider a lawyer on everything - yes, it's that bad. Honestly, look at the entire package, don't be seduced by the hourly wage. Look at low retirement match, no pension for new hires, health insurance costs and the high cost housing market before you sign on here.

Advice to Management

Your workers are your assets, treat them well, increase the match on retirement, give local HR and payroll back some power to take care of the local assets. How are the offshore accounts doing, Lloyd? "Non profit" - lol.

"less than a week"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Dominican Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good pay. The docs are fairly professional and competent.

Cons

everything! All the bad reviews are totally true. Run don't walk away from this place. The staff is mostly newer nurses or those who have been around long enough to just be holding out for retirement. The floors are understaffed and charge nurses act as receptionist. The administration is just waiting to find you at fault for something and humankindness is Satan in disguise. The floors can be brutal and there is no support from higher-ups. Even though nursing care is the product that they sell, RN's get little respect and hierarchy can be summed up by the colors they require you to wear to single you out.

Advice to Management

Remember what you are selling; Nursing CARE!!!

"RNII"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse II
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse II

I have been working at Dominican Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful and friendly colleagues, great pay and benefits, union representation, short commute/get to work with my local community, transition programs available from M/S to tele and tele to ICU

Cons

Culture of fear promoted with management, poor retention leads to short staffing and less mentors available for the newer nurses

Advice to Management

A little positive feedback goes a long way. Do away with the culture of fear and blame. Hello humankindness needs to come from the top down

"RN"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse II in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse II in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Dominican Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay nurses start at 130,000 a year

Cons

The management is about as bad as it gets. RUN don't walk away from this hospital. I've seen managers and directors send their nurses home in tears. Corruption runs extremely deep, and those who speak up or bring even the slightest attention to it face humiliation, disciplinary action, and are subjected to being blackballed. HR is extremely hostile to their employees. (it feels like walking into the DMV) They're constantly looking to travelers and new graduate nurses to fill the positions that are constantly being abandoned. The problems got so bad that they started holding monthly forums for employees to express their concerns. I'm shocked at blatant disregard for some very serious concerns that we have tried to express at these forums. but they did pave the parking lot! The good nurses are pressured into cutting corners while managers look the other way. The good ones are weeded out if they do not. The nurses here have given up what made them become nurses and the management really could care less about the community they serve. I can't wait to retire. Our questions are dodged as if they were politicians. An employee was even scolded at a recent forum There is absolutely no regard for anything but maintaining control over their employees. Pay them well and keep them quiet. Out of all of the 39 hospitals that Dignity Health owns Dominican Hospital is ALWAYS ranked dead last as we are constantly reminded in our meetings.

Advice to Management

Let anyone come in and audit you. Let the local paper interview the staff. What goes on behind closed doors here is sad. This place needs to be gutted from the top down.

"Worst Place Ever"

Pros

Near the Boardwalk so I could escape from ineffective, mental midget managers and staff. There's more productivity riding the Big Dipper than this place. Also plenty of bars around, too, which were necessary due to this hole.

Cons

Virtually everything:

-Staff with an IQ lower than the Kardashians
    -Rude, incompetent staffers who are glorified by the Legions of Doom aka management and HR...some probably are on Team Trump right now
    -Disrespectful to patients
    -Poorly trained in every facet
    -Unsanitary facilities (likely worse than Djibouti)
    -Provide abysmal care. Psychiatry being the worst (wouldn't be surprised if every patient in their ward contemplates suicide 24/7. Being around an uncaring, nonchalant staff does that to you)
    -No work/life balance (a reflection on management, as they clearly lack a life themselves...unless being utterly useless and unprofessional constitutes a daily ritual)

Advice to Management

Resign

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Dominican Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, and retirement plan.

Cons

There is a serious disconnect between the branding "Humankindness" and the resources administration gives nursing so we actually have the time to connect with our patients. Chronic understaffing, no nursing support and a system-wide culture of competition are just the highlights. What used to be a first rate hospital has fallen into a third rate category.

Advice to Management

Listen to your nurses! We understanding "Humankindness" and the tools we need to create time and space to convey that to our patients

10. "Great place to work and grow"

I worked at Dominican Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teammates are helpful. Everyone chips in to get the work done if necessary. Real sense of friendship- rare in a workplace-

Cons

wish they didn't relocate the department I worked in.

Advice to Management

keep respecting the employees in your crae -