Dominican University of California Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Small minded and political"

I worked at Dominican University of California full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lovely campus.

Cons

In my experience working as staff member, the staff and administration is fraught with politics, favoritism, cliques, and bureaucracy. The quality, quantity and efficiency with which I was able to produce my work was completely overlooked so that my supervisor's OCD tendencies could be coddled by upper-level management and HR. It seemed to me that the institution would have preferred a poorly-skilled wage slave over a competent, talented worker who had lots to bring... I was subject to (what I feel) was borderline harassment by an utterly inflexible supervisor. My attempts to work with HR to resolve the problem were useless, and my experience was that, ultimately, HR is involved in the politics of the institution and not there to advocate for employees or resolve differences. I can't recommend working here, at least on the staff. Maybe the experience for faculty is different...

Advice to Management

Trust your hiring decisions and back them. Recognize and advocate for talented and intelligent people on your staff, and realize that they are there to enhance and improve the quality of your own work and life, so make use of their talents and skills. Be FLEXIBLE, or risk losing good people.

"The faculty and staff are being destroyed by bully tactics, management by gossip, and dictatorship"

I worked at Dominican University of California (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a beautiful small university. Things became bad towards the last several years of the previous president. We were all filled with hope and prepared for the hard work of strengthening our university under a new president and new leadership. Unfortunately, things have not gone well and many are losing hope.

Cons

The current leadership = robotic, vicious, yes (wo)men.

HR witch hunts are allowed and this has created an environment of fear. Expect retaliation for critical thought. Several departments have been divided and nearly destroyed by HR plotting people against each other. The power structure is becoming increasingly odd.

Advice to Management

Stop chopping off the heads of people who know how to move us toward the future.

I encourage faculty, in particular, to communicate with Board members. The cabinet is behaving like a middle-school clique. I encourage staff to document all HR and managerial missteps and work together to remove the bullying, hostile mentality.

"Not what it seems"

I have been working at Dominican University of California full-time

Pros

Good location, helps people get degrees

Cons

Faculty and Upper Mgmt are rude and condescending to staff. Low pay

"It has been a learning experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Great colleagues (for the most part)
    Great pleace to grow because of the small school environment = a lot of opportunity to be creative.

Cons

Administrators compensation is beyond excessive!
    Growth in student population doesn't mean growth in staff to support students.

Advice to Management

Recognize what and where we are as an institution of higher education. We are not Berkeley, Stanford, or USF. Work with what we've got!

6. "Problems outweighed all of the wonderful things"

Pros

A beautiful school with some very dedicated people. Faculty have leadership that cares about them.

Cons

Human Resources. Too much money wasted things that don't really help our students or our staff.

7. "Its a bureaucratic place, but the professors and most staff love what they do."

Former Employee - Financial Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Tutor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Its a beautiful campus and they are making tons of great changes in the admin department. They have an awesome new president who is really making waves, in a good way. The old president needed to go and was super old school and not popular.

Cons

It is an academic environment, which isn't inherently bad, just means there is a lot of bureaucracy, a lot! So be prepared for slowing moving processes that need to be approved by 10 different people.

Advice to Management

Keep shaking up the over-sized administration department and put more emphasis on the students experience so they leave with a great feeling about their alma mater.

"A small university with big potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Dominican University of California (More than a year)

Pros

It's a creative, intellectually stimulating environment. The campus is situated in a picturesque park-like setting. The staff and faculty are friendly and help support each other. Nice perks include use of the athletic facilities, free access to performing arts, some public lectures and reduced tuition, or the option to audit classes.

Cons

Certain departments are understaffed and underfunded. Getting policies and procedures approved can be arduous. Pay rates (other than faculty) for this non-profit University is under industry standards.

Advice to Management

There could be better communication around career development. For staff retention, the cost of higher compensation should be compared to the cost/time for hiring new staff and determining the overall negative impact on business.

"Buyer Beware"

Pros

Great benefits (health, dental, vision, classes)
    Open environment with a beautiful campus
    Student focused
    Welcoming environment
    Knowledgeable colleagues
    Flexible management

Cons

Back room decision making
    Poor communication among departments
    'Kick the can down the road' management in some instances
    Poor parking
    Dated buildings and working environments (think retro)
    Colleagues are sometimes overworked and unwilling to join take on new responsibilities voluntarily (happens, if rarely)

Advice to Management

Tackle issues head on instead of waiting to see what will happen. Make decisions and stand by them. Be more open.

10. "Athletics"

Current Employee - Athletics Game Ops in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Athletics Game Ops in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Dominican Athletics works with students to provide flexible hours.

Cons

Hour can be inconsistent, coworkers are not the best

11. "Good place to work, don't expect to get rich"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Dominican University of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dominican has a great sense of community and is a good University. The campus is beautiful. Great perks for employees like free education for immediate family, tuition exchange program.

Cons

Non-profit means non-profit salaries, work spaces vary widely depending in what building you work. Cost to attend is high.