Dominion Enterprises Reviews in Norfolk, VA | Glassdoor

Dominion Enterprises Norfolk Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Norfolk, VA

Pros
  • The executive team creates a great work/life balance, fun and hard working atmosphere (in 24 reviews)

• Able to work from home when available (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management doesn't see it (in 45 reviews)

• Management has bad track record for new hires (upper management) (in 39 reviews)

1. "This place rocks!!! It's all about building a great culture & employee development."

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are great. DE has done a great job building a good culture and family environment. Employee development is a high priority and they do a great job of providing resources for you to lean, connect and grow. If you want a career and not a job - this is the place to be!

Cons

I would love to see a more creative environment for all of the core businesses to interact. We are missing out on some good collaborative juices and interaction.

Advice to Management

Keep your ear to the street and keep listening to the employees. You have done a great building an great culture off of employee feedback and recommendations. It's great to be heard!

Apr 1, 2016 – VP/Management Development, Training, Recruiting

Thank you for your post! We are working to bring more collaborative learning opportunities to the organization through lunch and learns, user groups, and other learning events. More to come!

"Management fails at leadership, then blames the troops"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent coworkers: Many were very hardworking, conscientious folks willing to go the extra mile.

Cons

Terrible benefits (except 401K was pretty good).
    Management failed to lead, and then blamed those they were in charge of. Upper management (I mean the very upper management) needs to look at the areas of failure and hold the managers from the VPs on down accountable. When you have good people, that work hard, and you take advantage of that and still fail, that is a leadership issue, not an employee issue.

Advice to Management

Hold VPs accountable for the failures they oversee. The answer is not always, if ever, to replace the grunts on the ground.

Apr 1, 2016 – VP/Management Development, Training, Recruiting

Thank you for your post. We're listening....email or call me to set up a time to talk or connect with a Human Resources representative. Please provide us with more information. We only improve if ... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Able to work from home when available. The work/life balance is good.
    They do have a decent insurance package.

Cons

Completely behind the times in both thinking and technology. No sense of urgency in any phase of business. Completely content to trudge along. Only focused on bottom line numbers and will not put any effort into improving the business.
    Only way to get ahead and advance is to either be "grandfathered in" or kiss the right behind.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to employees and people "on the front lines" and not just stroke each others egos. Take some pride in the business and stand up for growth. Don't be SO afraid of going against the upper level management.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, good people, sponsor visa

Cons

Not really any consd tht I can write

Apr 1, 2016 – VP/Management Development, Training, Recruiting

Thank you for your post!

"Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees plain and simple make this company. NOT the managers, but the people who are in the trenches and make things happen. They are family! The company as a whole tries to motivate employees to get involved with community activities as well which is wonderful!

Cons

To many to name but to bullet point:
    1. You can only get promoted if you are already a manager and it's all about who you know, not how you prefrom. I have seen the same managers move all around, but never a new one.
    2. You have a HR department that is ONLY there for the mangers. It is well known that they will back the manager up before an employee all day long. It has been proven time and time again.
    3. You have managers in the Rec Division that are completely delusional. They interview employees saying it's "confidential" and then turn your words around and make it sound as if everyone is complaining. But upper management thinks that the VP's word is above all else and that if they are saying it, it must be true. Employees are all to scared to go and actually tell someone for fear of their job. I tried to go to Jack Ross with all the things I had seen but my coworkers begged me not to for fear of retaliation (which happened all the time)
    4. Very behind the times when it comes to other companies and technology. All we do is steal other ideas and implement them on our site. And when something is released, they release it without getting all the kinks out. They release a product and then take a year to actually fix this issues All they care about is getting the revenue, not if the product actually works.
    5. They are constantly, every year if not every two years, redoing the pay structure. They don't care that they are missing with employees livelihoods! They do this so they can weed out the people at the top tiers with regards to pay and hope that they quit.
    6. And finally, you have people that have gone thru the MIT program and still can not get promoted because the same people are always moving around.

Advice to Management

You need to take a serious look at the different divisions under Dominion. You have rose colored glasses on. Take them off and maybe actually listen to what people are saying here on this site and at work!

7. "Great Opportunity"

Former Intern - Intern in Norfolk, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and good people to work around. Always willing to help, even after you've left.

Cons

Opportunity to turn internship into full-time job not always available, but help is around.

"Emperor of Marine has no Clothes. (Dominion Marine Media)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises (More than 5 years)

Pros

A monopoly of the Marine industry gives you flexibility. (to do nothing) It also allows you to treat customers poorly.

Cons

Bad culture. Frequent turnover...Change for change sake.

People that know the business the best have been let go. The president of the Marine division does not know the business at a detailed level. Surrounds himself with "Yes" people that will not shoot down his next bad idea. Nobody will ask the Emperor the tough questions. Continues to invest in the Europe side of the business, throwing good money after bad. Running a monopoly is not that tough, but he makes it as difficult as he can.
    Often people are not fired, jobs are moved or positions eliminated. Sometimes jobs are moved to keep people from finding out about relationships that are too close.

If you are in a product role you do not want to work here. Marketing and The President of the division run product and they know the least about it. There is no longer a VP of Technology in the executive group. This means zero representation for Product in the business.

Advice to Management

Might want to chat with the Emperor of Marine and double check those ideas. YOY growth is not tough for a monopoly. Seems you let your Mangers get away with not knowing the best path forward.

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, relaxed atmosphere (most of the time), they are always doing fund raisers and helping in the community. The CEO is very down to earth.

Cons

No pay raises,not much room for advancement, insurance isn't very good. But I can't blame that solely on the company. Before Obamacare insurance was very reasonable and it covered alot more than it does not.

Advice to Management

Give your hourly workers raises. Even if it's just 50 cent. Alot of us are in college getting degrees and most of the people I talk to plan to move on once they get there degree. Start retaining the talent you already have.

Dec 19, 2015 – VP/Management Development, Training, Recruiting

Hello and thank you for your post. Are you looking for added responsibility in the company? If so, connect with me or someone on our recruiting team, or click on the Jobs tab on Ask4HR. There are ... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and some good people. Good entry level experience and training for a first job. Looks good on a resume.

Cons

No real growth potential for career advancement. There is a lot of micromanagement and lack of trust in what has to be the most conservative company in America. To get to the 19th floor you need to be part of the social elite/country club. It's definitely when you know and who likes you more than what you know. Management seems to pretend to care but takes the easy way out. They still think like a newspaper company. Refuse to admit mistakes.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs. Stop micromanaging details. Let the company create its culture rather than trying to force it. Have the guts to admit that some senior management has failed and make some tough decisions.

"Information Tech Position"

Former Employee - IT Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - IT Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with fellow employee's - hands on
    Cross training available on new platforms and software
    Dress down day.
    Potential to move into other positions
    Great workspaces and Lunch/Dinning facilities

Cons

No notice termination policy
    Extremely strict attendance and tardiness policy (was let go for 1 tardy 2-5 minutes)
    No personal HR evaluation, or employee skillset review
    Ability to move into additional position, 6 months or 1 year minimum. (most places 60-90 days)
    No free parking

Advice to Management

Would of like to have some notice about any potential chance for discharge or termination.
    Had no idea I was injepordy at the time of employment. I was higher with knowledge of my intent to move quickly into a web dev postiion, or graphic design. Had extensive training in both, and several positions open. No meetings available to talk about interested positions or expansion within company. I would recommend that a better employee evaluation system be in place, not just centered around obeying workplace rules, but also in the interest of employees being happy working there. I also shared idea I had for web based properties with co-workers in IT, but no opportunity to share such info with Web dev teams or staff.
    Would of been nice to share those types of things at inter company function.

Oct 30, 2015 – VP/Management Development, Training, Recruiting

Thank you for your post and feedback. Even though you are not with us today, I'm interested in talking to you about your experience. Please call our Home Office general line and ask to be ... More