Domo Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Domo CEO Josh James
Josh James

Pros
  • Free Lunch and Dinner, and lots of breakfast items (in 20 reviews)

• Great benefits and good work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • They are experiencing the typical growing pains any startup goes through (in 13 reviews)

• Not necessarily a Con, but more of a general observation/point: Domo is a very dynamic, fast-paced work environment (in 7 reviews)

1. "Domo is awesome"

Current Employee - Engineer in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Flexible schedule, Free Food, Relaxed Environment, Fun parties and events

Cons

VERY difficult to get an increase in salary. I've had two promotions with no change in compensation.

2. "Going places!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Domo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here for about 4 months now and I have to say, it was the best move I've made career wise AND personally in years. We'll get to the cons... but the Pros?
    -100% can-do attitude and effort from the supporting cast. If you need help, you may not know where to go right away, but you'll get assistance along the way, and when you arrive at the right person, more often than not they'll drop what they're doing to help.
    -Terrific executive team. "Traditional" founders who are smart enough to know their limitations (most of the time), and seek out the Sr. Staff they need to augment.
    -Sales driven culture (this may appear in the cons). I'm in Sales and as I said above, we need a lot of help to get our job done. Everybody in the company knows that sales is a: a total pain in the neck, and b: without our success, we all go home.
    -Not afraid to have fun. This can be a silly place. I'm pretty silly myself and find that I need to step up my game. But fun matters. I work remotely and LOVE going to HQ at least once every few weeks. It energizes me and exposes me to all those helpful and fun people!
    -The pay is solid. Above industry in many cases. Pre-IPO options are fairly standard, but the trajectory here is such that I, at least, feel that the future is going to be even more exciting than the now.
    -Benefits are also solid. Very "silicon valley" in a good way. Thought about expecting mothers are a bit outside the norm... go shopping for maternity closes on us! PTO is very generous and everybody is encouraged to the time they give to recharge.
    -Opportunity - we're in a very crowded space and that's GOOD. There is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a team that is redefining analytics as a tool for everybody, not just IT, senior execs, or some wicked sharp analyst.

Cons

-The pace can be maddening. I'll argue this is good in general, but you'd better put on your big boy/big girl pants if you come to work at Domo.
    -Our use of Domo is extensive and at every level. Cool, yes. But this also means a high degree of exposure to your business, KPIs and SLAs. There is no hiding at Domo.
    -Location. Salt Lake City is a terrific place, and beautiful. And the people are incredibly nice. But its a bit of an island when it comes to the overall high tech ecosystem.
    -There's a LARGE group of people who followed our founder(s) from Omniture, their previous, and highly successful, venture. I get that and would probably do the same thing. Who doesn't want to hit another homerun and I'd be on Josh too. But there's a lot of name dropping about "when I was part of Omniture", or "Josh used to tell me...". Not that big a deal, but since I'm on the outside of that, you know.
    -Sales strategy - Right now we seem to be attacking the market in a bit of a disjointed way. We are in a transition from mostly inside sales to what will, I believe, be a company who sells larger enterprise deals to larger companies. There's some animosity between the two right now and the rules of engagement have moved a few times, causing confusion and in some cases, resentment.

Advice to Management

I think we're on the right path. Hire the best every time, especially in sales. Replacing C players means not enough work was done on the front end (hiring) to flush out potential under performers. Develop a UNIFIED sales strategy for all the sales teams. Rigidity is not the answer to selling more in a sales strategy and team effort. Keep, at all costs, the positive culture and lack of silos between cross functional teams.

3. "Domo is Great"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, amazing benefits, innovative leadership

Cons

Cutthroat sales environment, very political sales culture

5. "Salaries and Comp Plan Issues - Especially in the Sales Organization"

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative and fast growing technology - you and your colleagues are genuinely excited about the platform. Wildly inspiring sales leadership - they truly live and breathe Domo and that's inspiring and encouraging,.

Cons

Completely frustrating with regard to base salary and merit increases, which has caused caused some of the better folks to leave since their offers are coming in significantly, significantly higher than current compensation. Which is ironic because many of the new hires are coming in at the higher plan. It costs a lot of money to ramp a new hire up especially while you're light on veterans and current teams are frustrated.

Advice to Management

Give recognition to those who work hard.. Regarding the high performing employees who are looking to leave in order to be paid what they're worth, consider making them whole and paying them fairly. I can't imagine it is more cost "saving" to Domo to lose one of those guys then have to wait 6-12 mos for another to ramp up . You, as sales people, would not tolerate that for yourself, at our annual meeting and quarterly ones you are on FIRE about sales. You yourselves are sales people, and that is why this is so frustrating, to us, because you know what motivates sales/sales engineers.

6. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Domo full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Great team leads.

Cons

I have no cons about Domo.

7. "Great product, lots of benefits, smart coworkers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Every employee is entitled to fantastic benefits. Food, parties, great equipment, health, 401k, etc. Domo competes with the best of the best on benefits.
    *Cool product. If you've ever had to wrangle data from a ton of different systems, you'll love a product that can bring it all to one place and let you see it and talk about it.
    *Smart people. Some of the best and brightest in the state (and beyond) here.
    *Quantity and quality of customers are increasing.

Cons

*Have to be able to handle direction changes

8. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just started about 3 weeks ago and my hiring process was first class. The communication and timing was great and my recruiter (Tom) represented Domo in the best possible way. Since being at Domo I have enjoyed the company culture and the many perks that come from being an employee. The benefits & perks are top notch and compete with any other company out there. I am excited about being an employee and where we are headed towards the future.

Cons

Would have appreciated a more structured on-boarding / training period
    Help identifying my career path and where I fit in future plans

Advice to Management

Keep being aggressive. Keep taking care of your employees, it will only attract the best talent around. I feel like Domo is headed in the right direction and ultimately will do great things. I am excited to be a part of it

9. "No Complaints"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Awesome Benefits
    -GREAT co-workers
    -GREAT product
    -Very promising future

Cons

-No clear path to promotions
    -Interesting management choices

10. "Great Company To Start Your Career"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT

I have been working at Domo as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interns can get a lot of exposure to different things and different teams. Managers are more concerned with your personal development for your career than they are with keeping you on the team that you are on. Are willing to work with you to find a good fit.

Cons

Interns should get the opportunity for pay raises, but management is kind of slow to make this happen. Depending on the nature of the work you're doing, if Domo is willing to keep you around longer, they should be willing to pay you more.

Advice to Management

I love the fact that I have had managers that communicate openly with me. I've never felt uncomfortable bringing things up with them and they have always encouraged me to share my opinion. They really value input from the entire team. Great Job

"Fun, Hilarious environment but a little sketchy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, flexible hours, fun team. people are passionate about what they do and the product they build. its a fun environment and the people working are invested in making it great.

Cons

Josh James is a cool CEO but some times you feel like the company is lead by teenagers with lots of money. Sometimes things can stray away from HR standards in company meetings. On-call work, and the load isn't distributed between team members very well. You can easily end up as the guy with the most tribal knowledge in some area and suddenly you are responsible for anything that goes wrong.