Domo Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Domo CEO Josh James
Josh James

Pros
  • Free Lunch and Dinner, and lots of breakfast items (in 20 reviews)

• Great benefits and good work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • With that comes growing pains that can be reactive at times (in 14 reviews)

• Not necessarily a Con, but more of a general observation/point: Domo is a very dynamic, fast-paced work environment (in 7 reviews)

1. "All good..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, sales-oriented, growth

Cons

The inevitable growing pains, marketing carousel.

Advice to Management

Growth is a good thing, but don't lose the special culture.

2. "Incredible Opportunity for Smart/Hard Workers"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid Base Salaries, Commission Plans are good and targeted towards aggressive sales culture. Very high expectations and commensurate commissions. You can walk away with a lot of $ if you can sell.

The benefits that HR has laid out are astounding. My accountant recently reviewed some of the benefits with my family and told me that it was in the top 5% of all of his clients. Equity play with pre-IPO options, great vacation allowance, great HSA, solid match on 401k, Fertility benefits, extremely beneficial for those that will or are having children with maternity/paternity. This place lays out benefits that are as good as the top 5 tech companies in the world.

Beating the market leaders like Tableau, Qlik, and Microsoft in larger deals is happening on a regular basis now. As we grow and slowly take more wins from these companies, it is satisfying to see how we win against top players and validate our strategy.

Cons

Extremely competitive market. Be prepared for very hard work. Company is moving so fast, it is hard to get processes into place that stick and are effective. Ideas and people move around quickly.

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! Good people! High energy!

Cons

Not a lot of cons. Overall the company is well put together.

Advice to Management

Great management team

5. "Senior Enterprise Account Development Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT

I worked at Domo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, fun co-workers, company provides a solid benefits package including 401k matching

Cons

Culture was toxic when I was there. Heard it has improved but execs look down on account development, whole department took a 50% pay cut while I was there because we were "expendable and overpaid"

Advice to Management

Value your employees, they are your lifeblood.

6. "DomoSalesSapien"

Current Employee - Account Executive in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Account Executive in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered Meals, big parties, competitive compensation

Cons

Sales quotas not adjusted by historical territory performance or existing customer base/upsell potential. Confusing messaging and product mix, inconsistent training and ramping for new employees

Advice to Management

Spend a little more money on improving the product and ability of reps to competitively position it in the marketplace in every way, including consistent pricing.

"Domo: Lots of opportunities, not the best culture for women."

I worked at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company culture, some talented coworkers, women in leadership positions.

Cons

A "boy's club" vibe. Despite efforts to improve the culture for women, overall felt unsupported as a woman.

Advice to Management

Improve the way HR deals with complaints about sexism in the workplace.

8. "Domo is Great"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, amazing benefits, innovative leadership

Cons

Cutthroat sales environment, very political sales culture

9. "Domo is awesome"

Current Employee - Engineer in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in American Fork, UT

I have been working at Domo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Flexible schedule, Free Food, Relaxed Environment, Fun parties and events

Cons

VERY difficult to get an increase in salary. I've had two promotions with no change in compensation.

"This ship is sinking!"

Former Employee - Client Services Manager
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager

I worked at Domo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, decent benefits. Some great co-workers and a lax environment. Started with a great vision but lost its lustre along the way.

Cons

The CEO is immature, ignorant and play acts like he cares about his employees. If he did, he wouldn't allow the amount of culling his Senior Management is making. Great people are being forced out for no other reason than not kissing up to their managers. The product is stagnant and irrelevant with competitors gaining stride to overshadow what Domo can do. This company is obsolete and it would be a huge recommendation to leave before things get worse.

Advice to Management

To Executive Management:
    Stop keeping Josh in the dark and admit that you are all a bunch of useless dreamers sucking him dry. He deserves a better team and does have a great vision for his company and potentially does actually care for the great employees that you are responsible for destroying.
    To Josh:
    Stop wasting money on chartered flights to basketball games and open your eyes to the destruction your Executive Team are doing to Domo. We all believed your vision and followed you but these guys/gals are going to destroy you.

"Going places!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Domo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here for about 4 months now and I have to say, it was the best move I've made career wise AND personally in years. We'll get to the cons... but the Pros?
    -100% can-do attitude and effort from the supporting cast. If you need help, you may not know where to go right away, but you'll get assistance along the way, and when you arrive at the right person, more often than not they'll drop what they're doing to help.
    -Terrific executive team. "Traditional" founders who are smart enough to know their limitations (most of the time), and seek out the Sr. Staff they need to augment.
    -Sales driven culture (this may appear in the cons). I'm in Sales and as I said above, we need a lot of help to get our job done. Everybody in the company knows that sales is a: a total pain in the neck, and b: without our success, we all go home.
    -Not afraid to have fun. This can be a silly place. I'm pretty silly myself and find that I need to step up my game. But fun matters. I work remotely and LOVE going to HQ at least once every few weeks. It energizes me and exposes me to all those helpful and fun people!
    -The pay is solid. Above industry in many cases. Pre-IPO options are fairly standard, but the trajectory here is such that I, at least, feel that the future is going to be even more exciting than the now.
    -Benefits are also solid. Very "silicon valley" in a good way. Thought about expecting mothers are a bit outside the norm... go shopping for maternity closes on us! PTO is very generous and everybody is encouraged to the time they give to recharge.
    -Opportunity - we're in a very crowded space and that's GOOD. There is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a team that is redefining analytics as a tool for everybody, not just IT, senior execs, or some wicked sharp analyst.

Cons

-The pace can be maddening. I'll argue this is good in general, but you'd better put on your big boy/big girl pants if you come to work at Domo.
    -Our use of Domo is extensive and at every level. Cool, yes. But this also means a high degree of exposure to your business, KPIs and SLAs. There is no hiding at Domo.
    -Location. Salt Lake City is a terrific place, and beautiful. And the people are incredibly nice. But its a bit of an island when it comes to the overall high tech ecosystem.
    -There's a LARGE group of people who followed our founder(s) from Omniture, their previous, and highly successful, venture. I get that and would probably do the same thing. Who doesn't want to hit another homerun and I'd be on Josh too. But there's a lot of name dropping about "when I was part of Omniture", or "Josh used to tell me...". Not that big a deal, but since I'm on the outside of that, you know.
    -Sales strategy - Right now we seem to be attacking the market in a bit of a disjointed way. We are in a transition from mostly inside sales to what will, I believe, be a company who sells larger enterprise deals to larger companies. There's some animosity between the two right now and the rules of engagement have moved a few times, causing confusion and in some cases, resentment.

Advice to Management

I think we're on the right path. Hire the best every time, especially in sales. Replacing C players means not enough work was done on the front end (hiring) to flush out potential under performers. Develop a UNIFIED sales strategy for all the sales teams. Rigidity is not the answer to selling more in a sales strategy and team effort. Keep, at all costs, the positive culture and lack of silos between cross functional teams.