Donald Martens & Sons Reviews | Glassdoor

Dean Martens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work."

Current Employee - Paramedic in Brooklyn, OH

I have been working at Donald Martens & Sons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of over time. Very flexible with schedule. Best pay in the are by far. Management is to overbearing. Come in, do you job. Get paid.

Cons

The dispatchers are given an insane amount of power. Make them mad, and your shift will be spent traveling all over gods green earth as punishment. It's disgusting.

Advice to Management

You're in charge, not the dispatchers.

2. "Not the best, not the worst"

Current Employee - EMT in Brooklyn, OH
    Current Employee - EMT in Brooklyn, OH

I have been working at Donald Martens & Sons part-time

Pros

Very flexible schedule
    Tons of autonomy
    Experience a variety of patients, conditions, call types
    Most calls are facility to facility (much better on your back) and because we do a lot of transports with the Clinic, half of our trips involve nice facilities and high-acuity patients with a wide variety of conditions/backgrounds
    Immediate supervisors are supportive.

Cons

The pay is abysmal.
    You're less than a number. You're just a dot on a dispatcher's screen - I could literally disappear tomorrow and no one would even notice.
    Ridiculously poor management above immediate supervisors. Examples - the 'required' unpaid training, the expectation that hourly employees must use their personal cell phones for work to receive dispatch instructions and call in for everything, the poor/dangerous condition that many of the squads are in, the fact that the squads are so poorly supplied that many of us bring our own equipment and supplies to work.
    You will work with some incredible, talented people here but you will also work with some EMTs/Medics who make you want to scream and there's no accountability for their actions and no system in place to actually make sure they know what they're doing.
    Dispatch treats you like crap, all day, every day no matter how many calls you clear or how hard you work. if you're a minute or two later on scene than their 20 min expectation, your phone blows up with 'Call Dispatch' texts. You will never get enough of a break to grab a lunch unless you pull over en route to another call. You will routinely get out 1-2 hours late. You'll run your butt off and still be treated like you're not working hard enough. They'll send 2 people to a 300lb+ patient and balk at you when you call for a lift assist. We hate calling dispatch so much we take turns and do rock-paper-scissors to decide who has to call in next.

Advice to Management

As many cons as their are, I really like my job and I want to be able to look at it as a better place to work but the pay and benefits are so poor that my options are to work another job or work a ton of overtime. There are also a lot of issues where a lot of us feel completely unsupported in the field with equipment and squads that are in poor condition or where we're forced to deal with horrible partners. Just because someone has a certification, that doesn't mean that they know what they're doing or actually treating the patients well or actually doing in the field what they're supposed to be doing. And when it comes to 'highly recommended' or 'required' unpaid training and required use of personal devices, a lot of us are working more than one job, raising kids, in school, eking in hours where we can and leaning in us for more without compensating us is very unfair.

3. "Nightmare with occasional cakewalk"

Current Employee - Paramedic in Brooklyn, OH

I have been working at Donald Martens & Sons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Decent starting pay (was 14 for medics when I started, plus 2 an hr bonus for base truck day shift)
    -overtime always available (not enough workers)
    -experience with different medical issues due to contract with Cleveland Clinic (Google mitochondrial disease)
    -Networking with firemen for better jobs
    -Hard to get fired from
    -Easy days are lovely when they appear and you can accomplish other daily tasks at work
    -Driving experience

Cons

-favoritism is evident
    -Base truck pay (2 dollars an hour extra for working a set schedule of their choosing) is used against you in negotations and isn't factored into overtime pay
    -If a dispute happens with dispatch expect to be punished with extra runs, being held over, and patients weighing more than reported without assistance
    -working harder and faster means you get more work without any incentive
    -Issues are handled with punishment only, zero praise given or thanks given for being held over (no employee of the month, even if patients call and give you praise you never hear about it from the company)
    -Run down equipment and vehicles that you are chastised for when they have issues
    -Very little upward mobility potential
    -little to no CE
    -Rules are meant to be used against you to make you do more work, if you attempt to use a guideline in your favor it's spun differently
    -If you get hurt on the job and are full time (your back will probably get hurt from being obliged into lifting heavy patients) you may be pushed to do light duty, which is desk work 5 days a week; no pesky workmans comp!
    -Sticking up for yourself is high radar which means more problems will be inbound

Advice to Management

You're burnt out and hate your job, maybe changing careers would help; or trying to be a force of positive change may do the trick.

4. "Calls"

Current Employee - Intake
    Current Employee - Intake

I have been working at Donald Martens & Sons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Very hectic at times slow at others

5. "HORRIBLE WORKPLACE"

Former Employee - EMT in Parma, OH
    Former Employee - EMT in Parma, OH

I worked at Donald Martens & Sons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros. this company could not care less about their employees.

Cons

This company is the walmart of ambulance companies. No room to advance. Horrible pay.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "This place blows"

Former Employee - EMT-Basic
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic

I worked at Donald Martens & Sons full-time

Pros

All the overtime you want and good co-workers

Cons

Where do I begin.....the trucks are crap, the equipment is crap, you get ran around like a chicken with its head cut off with no chance to stop and eat, and the best part is your lucky if you even get out on your schedule time off and they wonder why they don't keep employees.

Advice to Management

Re-think everything and stop pushing people for stupid things.

7. "Recent employee"

Former Employee - Biller in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Biller in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Donald Martens & Sons (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime is always offered, if you work in billing you won't be there past 5:30-6 unless your making up hours or chose to work overtime. They are really good about promoting from within.

Cons

Sometimes mandatory overtime is enforced and if you are unable to adapt to the growing hours then disciplinary action is taken against you, it isn't a friendly environment to work in. Management have their favorites and its always pretty obvious. I mentioned promotions in the pros buy this can also be a con because even if you have plenty of experience with a job opening that may be posted you may not get it if one of their favorite employees interviews for it as well.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to make Working for your place of business more about growth. It's to dry and boring you should try to adapt more team building skills or take time out to actually get to know your employees. The work place can be fun but also fast paced at the same time. Right now as a company you all bailed fast paced but fun is not allowed to be said whispered or even written down. Live a little and you may grow a lot.

"Employee Beware!"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Donald Martens & Sons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Plenty of OT
    -Great co-workers

Cons

- No reimbursement for using your personal phone for calls
    - Paid approx $130 for a jacket and two uniform shirts and was offered $40 for return
    -Unsafe vehicles. Reports of tires coming off and tie rods breaking in transit

9. "Decent pay for the area"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Brooklyn, OH
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Brooklyn, OH

I have been working at Donald Martens & Sons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, pick your partner, hard to get fired.

Cons

Trucks are from the stone age, equipment is even older... trips are stacked 2-3 at a time. Calls are dispatched 1-3 hrs late, so the facilities think the crews are lazy and incompetent.

Advice to Management

Use some of the newer trucks instead of letting them rust away in their parking spots.

"Great place for part time/prn work as a paramedic"

Current Employee - Paramedic in Brooklyn, OH

I have been working at Donald Martens & Sons part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am a prn employee and can work whenever! Never been treated bad been with them since fall of 2010. I have a lot of consecutive days off at my full time job, and never once got refused work maybe not the shift i desired, but ohh well. Pay is good for what your asked to do definitely not a stressful environment!! They have these out of town trips that are usually simple good luck finding those at another private and are usally daily. No management has ever given me a issue. I just come in get my runs sent to my phone and excute them easy does it.

Cons

Bariatric runs can sometimes be a challenge do to cot size and door frame size not good! Have heard full time employees complain about benefit cost numerous times, but i don't know the entire story. No shift differential if you work a full time truck that has a shift differential doesn't seem quite fair to me your doing the same job as they would be doing for 2 dollars less per hour that's $24 in 12 hours!