Donan Environmental Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
  1. "One year with DES"

Current Employee - Environmental Consultant in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Donan Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Straightforward, stand-up people to work with. Trust is given and reciprocated relatively well. Company is getting away from smaller gas station projects and looking to move forward with larger brown fields projects. There's potential within the company, and upward movement can be expected if commitment, passion, and reliability is shown. Over the past year, I have personally branched out from a simple field... technician, to a draftsperson, to an estimator for our largest projects. One cannot expect the same rate of upward movement in a multinational corporation. I've talked to several of the subs, and the company IS reliable. That's why we keep bringing in work. The labs that we work with have been fighting for our business. Lastly, the powers that be will work with your schedule. If I put in the extra time and effort, I can slip out of the office for an hour or two for something family related, or even to surf (the office is 2 min from the beach). A month or two off to travel has even been brought up and approved by management, once the timing is right with our projects.

Cons

The owner will often a hand me a large project, and explain what he wants in 2-3 sentences. This can be a lot to chew off at once. He likes to call it "baptism by fire". Fortunately, my project manager is patient and understanding. If I feel surmounted by a large project, he will take the time to relate it to me and break things down into smaller steps. I get paid about the average salary for my position,... without benefits included. Nonetheless, owner has supplemented this by paying for my EIT study materials (which are surprisingly costly), and offering to pay for a work truck. Owner also mentioned funding a masters program with a five year commitment to DES.

Advice to Management

Between the owner, PG, and field manager, things are going pretty well. That's all I can really say at this point.

Donan Environmental Services2015-10-28
  2. "Good company with great values"

Current Employee - Environmental Consultant in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Donan Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is my first job out of college. I've worked here about 6 months, and I like everyone that I work with. It is a small company, so I am not pigeon-holed into one niche. However I have developed certain skills unique to the office (programs such as surfer) that help me add value to the company. I have a 50%/ 50% balance between field and office work which helps me understand the methodology of this practice, and... gain valuable experience. Working for a small company also allows for rapid upward movement because the company seems to be growing. Management trusts me and I can work around a semi-flexible schedule at the office. No one blinks twice if I come in to the office at 9 to go surf on slow days, as long as I put 100% into my work and complete the hours needed of me. I work in a large office space. Owner is an honest and good man from my experience. He doesn't say much, but he can surprise you with how much he knows.

Cons

No health, dental, or 401k. Office is a little incognito and looks half-finished. Miscommunication at times. Small company (which can be either good or bad).

Advice to Management

Add benefits (if financially feasible) so employees feel more secure in their commitment. More emphasis on goals for employees, so they have something to strive for and more incentive to work hard/efficient. Company values and holiday schedules are hard to find / seem to change year-to-year. Better communication in these sectors would be appreciated.

Donan Environmental Services2015-01-09
  3. "Owner is rude and has absolutely no social skills which does not help his business...."

Former Contractor - Accountant in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Donan Environmental Services for less than a year

Pros

The payroll checks cleared the bank..... that is best thing I could say about this firm.

Cons

I was handed my first check by the owner and he did so saying, "You know, in paying you this check, it means one of the sub-contractors will not get paid".... Firm owes a lot of money to sub-contractors and labs that will never see their money unless some crazy bank decides to lend money to this owner. I think that about sums it up.....

Advice to Management

None.....there is no point in making suggestions to someone who is not looking for objectivity or improvement on business practices.

Donan Environmental Services2013-03-21