Doner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
David DeMuth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, when you actually have the time to talk to them (in 13 reviews)

• Fun work environment for employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You are expected to work long hours (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management looks for scapegoats when issues arise (in 12 reviews)

"LOVE THIS PLACE!!!"

Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Junior Art Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You don't have to be a doctor to work 70+ hours a week, you just need to work here. I was blessed with the opportunity to work on my 40th birthday (on a Sunday) and work while my wife was giving birth to my 1st born son, and I had to miss my grandfather's funeral to finish a pitch!!! Even though we lost the JCPenney pitch it was still a great experience. It will all be worth it one day ... they even said in the next 10yrs we might be able to knock JR off my title. :)

Cons

I didn't get paid for my 290348 hrs of overtime, but I gained a lot of experience in the biz.

"Could not feel happier here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Doner full-time

Pros

Not only are bosses and co-workers incredibly flexible with hours and helping each other out , the company benefits are incredible, very generous PTO and maternity leave. Not to mention the numerous perks Doner offers like free concert tickets (I got Tim McGraw) and a $50 American Express gift card from the company congratulating me on my upcoming wedding! I am not even sure who initiated this but it truly made my day opening that in the mail. Also, new hire and quarterly happy hours makes it feel so much less like work. They offer different events like free Pilates classes and farmers markets. I could not feel more blessed to be surrounded by such thoughtful employees and have so many great opportunities. I get to work with all kinds of new people on a weekly basis and jump on various projects that are exposing me to all different parts of the advertising and social world. I recommend to ANYONE searching for a career in the marketing, creative or advertising world to seek out Doner.

Cons

Dark inside, but beautiful courtyard I often will work outside in (weather permitting)

Advice to Management

Get to know the people below you! Most do, but those who do not are missing out on some real talent.

"Change is hard"

Former Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Doner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's possible to make some great work at Doner
    The place is changing for the better
    If you're willing to take initiative and not give up, you can learn and grow there

Cons

The clients & creative opportunities vary widely; most of them are mediocre
    The agency relies on a steady stream of new business wins so the additional work on new business can be pretty intense
    There's still a lot of outdated thinking at senior levels of the company

Advice to Management

Bring in more fresh thinking at the senior levels
    Quickly move to downtown Detroit before it's too late

4. "Agency with a lot of heart and a mission to change"

Current Employee - Copywriter in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, small so you can effect change and make things happen, benefits package.

Cons

Some of the senior management is kind of old school and stuck in their ways, location in Southfield, office building is old and out of date.

Advice to Management

I think it's time to bring in some fresh thinking to the senior management and the leadership team. Valuing and respecting your employees will go a long way towards improving the culture here. Appreciate the changes and the efforts that have recently begun to try and make this a better place to work. Look forward to seeing what's ahead.

"Don('t)er, We Eat Our Own"

Former Employee - Ice Cream Scooper in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Ice Cream Scooper in Southfield, MI

I worked at Doner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers will you help commiserate the nightmarish culture that is Doner.

Cons

Doner, much like Sisyphus pushing his bolder up a hill, is on a mission to rebrand itself... again. The latest offering is, "Audacious Things for Ambitious Brands" can be reinterpreted as" Fraudacious Strategies for Unsuspecting Clients".
    Let's shift gears from arrogant mantras and stay with the theme of greek mythology to discuss Doner's biggest Achilles' heel, terrible strategies. This is and has always been their trademark crux that often leads to very long hours and many starts, stops and restarts for the creative department. It's a classic example of the righthand not knowing (or even caring) what the lefthand is doing. Spoiler alert, the righthand is patting itself on the back while the lefthand is shooting itself in the foot. The proof is a revolving client roster that comes and goes at such a dizzying pace it leads to the exhaustion Doner's employees. Some even exhibit signs of post traumatic stress disorder. Not... even... joking.
    Doner's CEO often lauds Doner's midwest heritage with an "Aw shucks" schtick that is quite convincing to new clients but it's no secret he desperately wants to be a New York agency. This must explain why he hired an ambitiously mediocre CCO from New York to run Doner's daily operation. This allows him the freedom to rarely be seen at Doner.
    And if you're into CCOs that give condescending feedback that is equal parts ambiguity to equal parts incoherence, than he's your fella. Let's not forget his dual creative legacy boasts Band-Aid's "Glambulance" and Smithfield's "Hambulance". Two different clients at two different agencies. Similar but different but very, very similar. Don't even get me started his advertising costumes and lil' flower accoutrements. Blerg!!!
    But let's not forget the culture. In an effort to improve low morale, Doner appointed a cultural czar that doesn't even live in Detroit and is rarely in the Southfield headquarters. Brilliant appointment. Other morale boosting efforts include agency stairwell meeting with the comedic stylings of the CEO and CCO. The true comedy comes when they mispronounce the names and titles of the employees they awkwardly attempt to praise. "Beep, bop... we are human just like you." Their attempts of being likable is as painful as an Emo Phillips comedy marathon.
    Did I mention that a big part of the management culture is stealing ideas from lower level employees and masquerading them as their own?
    Oh yeah, low wages, tons of overtime and the high probability of not being able to attend the shoot for an idea that is yours are pretty standard parts of the Doner culture. Did I mention tons of overtime?

Advice to Management

First, quit hiring New York castoffs that don't understand Detroit's culture but pretend to by wearing pro Detroit t-shirts, they're not fooling anyone. Second, if you are a member the Doner's laughably exclusive" Smoothie Club", you are a big part of the problem. You are parasitic animals with only one priority, self preservation. If you truly want to be audacious, admit you are a ship of fools without a map, drifting in the sea of mediocrity... and the boat has hit an iceberg (aka Weisberg). Too far?
    Oh, almost forgot to mention Doner's CCO that desperately wants to win awards at the expense of retaining clients to avenge his less than impressive portfolio and is painfully unaware that the CEO who hired him only cares about making money at the expense of doing great work and... and empowers a gaggle of AE henchmen/henchwomen to blanch any hope of doing great advertising.
    Phew, that was cathartic.

6. "Keep looking elsewhere"

Pros

Good people, but none of them are in management. I’m really struggling to fill the 20-word minimum for the “pros” section of this review.

Cons

Long hours, little incentive to trade your quality of life for mediocre work and pay. Staff is miserable under current management/holding company structure.

Advice to Management

Resign

"Awful Experience"

Current Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Doner (More than 3 years)

Pros

ONLY If you're CD and above; you can leave at 3, you will NEVER be held accountable, and you can steal ideas from younger creatives daily.

Cons

Doner has a way of making you second-guess your career path. You quickly become jaded after you've been promised of 'audacious and ambitious' opportunities, but soon realize that means nothing. Because there is nothing audacious or ambitious coming out of this place. CCO has a relationship with an AdAge reporter and the headlines you've been seeing about Doner on the rise' are all paid for. Like that we're moving downtown. Sounds cool, but it's really just an apartment for big wigs to have affairs. Take your talent elsewhere. Don't let it die in Southfield.

Advice to Management

Same thing we've been telling you one year ago when you started, Hold ECDs accountable. When a team comes to you and complains that an ECD has been stealing ideas, ADDRESS IT. Do not come back with excuses like "he's so busy, things move too fast to loop you back in." FYI I was not in either of those discussions, but it shows you that WE TALK. When we hear that our work isn't getting defended by the guy who should care the most, we look elsewhere.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good health insurance (you'll need it)
    -Caring, talented coworkers
    -Free tickets to events
    -Warren

You are a triathlete at Doner and if you're feeling optimistic, you can think of your time here as endurance training for your next big gig.

Cons

Doner can make you feel like a lot has been taken from you without much pay off. Reality check: No one wants to have a few beers at a Town Hall when they haven't had time to sit down for dinner with family and friends in months. Most people are connected by their mutual lethargy, depression and bitterness. This is not a state of mind which is conducive to creating great or "audacious" work. If creativity is the way you pay the bills, this type of burn out is real and pretty scary.

Employees are forced to compete against one another. It all makes up for a toxic experience that you'll need to drain from your pores for weeks after your departure.

Advice to Management

Creativity comes from letting people live their lives and trusting them to come back and share their experiences with you. We're the best at what we do when we aren't checking our email until 10pm or throughout our vacation time for dismal wages. The best employees come back to work happy and creatively refreshed when they're able to have work-life balance.

"Thank you" goes a long way. Make reviews more frequent.

"The most disappointing career experience."

Former Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI

I worked at Doner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They dont seem to understand how to manage creatives, so there's opportunity to fix many things.

Cons

They lose business every month it seems, very suspect upper management. Pay isn't competitive. This isn't the agency that Mr. Doner started, it's sad.

Advice to Management

Why bother.

"Overworked, Underpaid, Undervalued."

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers are great. Very down to earth & creative people.
    -Opportunity to work on different projects for many different clients.

Cons

I really don't know where to begin... The place is so unorganized, it's a wonder how anything gets accomplished. Employees are overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. I've personally never felt more overlooked and undervalued in my entire life. Deadlines are unreasonable and unrealistic. Good creative never gets to see the light of day due to office politics. Account teams never say "no" to Client, and never fight for good creative. It seems like the new CCO's main objective is to make employees feel less than. Work with no reward. The agency rebranding feels very inauthentic, one might even say it sounds like propaganda "KoolAid." There is a huge diversity problem. The office, which becomes your new home, is bleak, grey and uninspiring.