Doner Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 156 reviews

2.7
David DeMuth
Pros
Cons
  • "Can work long hours and some weekends with little notice(in 25 reviews)

• "Upper management at this location are the most disingenuous, vile humans(in 14 reviews)

1. "Worked Hard. Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Doner for more than 8 years

Pros

Easy place to work. Good non-automotive accounts for being in the Detroit area. Culture is starting to get better. Nice people.

Cons

A little understaffed. A bit old school. Culture and identity could use some improvement.

Advice to Management

You can't engineer culture. It must drain down from the top.

Doner2018-05-22
  2. "Great Agency. Great People. Work could be better."

Current Employee - Creative

I have been working at Doner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people. The organization.

Cons

The people. The organization. Repeat.

Advice to Management

Lots of talent in Detroit. You need to take more advantage.

Doner2019-06-11
  3. "Hit or Miss, Depending on Department/Superior(s)"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Doner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-A lot of PTO, especially for new hires (4 week PTO to start) -401k match (vested after 3 years) -You can advance and learn a lot but that's dependent on superior(s). Depending on who your EVP/Brand Leader is, you could either be promoted based on merit and trained for leadership or be taken advantage of and ridiculed.

Cons

-Frequent Layoffs within Company and no explanation or Town Hall -Work life balance doesn't exist -A lot of longstanding employees who make change challenging. Very strict on old process and longer timelines, in an environment that can't accomodate and with consumers who have little patience. -Hard to move within brands, once you work on one and are good you are kind of stuck. -CEO

Doner2019-06-10

"Worked there a long time!"

Former Employee - Management in Southfield, MI

I worked at Doner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can make your own path/way there if you're smart/qualified! Good benefits & personal time (though you work hard while you’re there!).

Cons

Too internally political... Difficult to get salary increases over time, regardless of performance.

Advice to Management

Stem turnover by paying people what they’re worth, especially if they have put in some time with the company.

Doner2019-05-14
  5. "Great"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I worked at Doner full-time

Pros

Free Snacks, nice people, not bad

Cons

Heavy workload, client stress, small

Doner2019-05-13

"Dinosaur Agency"

Former Employee - Creative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Doner full-time for more than a year

Pros

I wish I had at least one.

Cons

This place is beyond behind on times, even the decor is stuck in the past. It’s no wonder they continue to loose accounts here. While working here I have experienced 4 rounds of layoffs. That’s not a good sign. And this is why...90% of the employees here are stuck in TV and print. Including the CCO. They claim they are aiming to do experiential and digital work. Which is a joke. Their idea of digital here is selling...

Advice to Management

I don’t have anything to say. Even if I did, they wouldn’t change anything. Clearly they barely have and are moving at a snail slow rate to even do so.

Doner2019-05-16

"COLLEGE GRADS BEWARE!!! Bad reputation for a reason - toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Account Services

I worked at Doner full-time for less than a year

Pros

free beer once in a while (not worth it though)

Cons

Do yourself a favor & don’t accept a job at Doner. I wish I could go back and do the same for myself. The first month of the job is fine probably because of the rose colored glasses that get handed to you at the door. You think because of the beautiful decor & “happy” hours that this place is amazing... well just wait. Fast forward to another month of working at this place and you’ll start to notice the low morale...

Advice to Management

Don’t take out your bad attitude & bad mood on your employees because you are miserable. Learn to teach, train and grow your employees instead of walk all over them. Be more open and helpful and don’t make people feel bad because they don’t know what’s going on. They don’t know what’s going on because they never were trained properly.

Doner2019-05-02

"Great improvement in employee engagement; still a lot of work to do in gender equality"

Former Employee - Brand Leader in Southfield, MI

I worked at Doner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Casual work environment. Lots of employee activities being offered. FINALLY a legit intranet. Pretty generous PTO.

Cons

Still a boys club. Check out the higher positions on the major accounts; really lacking any female leadership. Males a few years out of college and with no leadership experience being promoted because their male EVPs 'like them'.

Advice to Management

You need better checks and balances. Why was I not able to review my superior? The current review process of multiple check ins per year (upwards of 6) is not working. The questions asked are repetitive. How much really changes in two months? Does HR not question requested promotions? Someone with less than 5 years experience in the industry has no business leading a team.

Doner2019-03-22

"Good, but could be great."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Doner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really nice people Everyone worked well together Entrepreneurial - you can get things done since it's so flat People care Great design chops

Cons

Well...there are several big cons: 1. No real account leadership. There's a person in the role, but he's not really performing the job. Also is all about saving his own neck. Not to be trusted 2. Creative leadership is a complete joke from the CCO role. A joke. A joke as many of the reviews have indicated. No professional decorum. No relevant current ideas. No strong direction to his team. Has them spinning in circles,...

Advice to Management

Bring in leaders who people can rally around If you're so flat, allow open dialogue and conversation. Feels very cliquey Bring people in who understanding digital and social. I mean, does anyone know what ads you can actually make.

Doner2019-03-05
    • "Its Advertising!"

Current Employee - Producer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Doner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Doner has stood the test of time by adjusting with the times. Great learning opportunities and the "opportunities" you make for yourself. Absorb up all you can. Learn all you can and don't be so sensitive - Its Advertising! No micro-managing if you do your job and great community development and being involved opportunities.

Cons

Again, it's advertising. That in itself is a con. Advertising can be a very unstable enviorment and at Doner is no different.

Advice to Management

Listen. Just listen. It all-around goes further than just waiting for your turn to talk.

Doner2019-03-06