Doner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
David DeMuth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, when you actually have the time to talk to them (in 13 reviews)

• Fun work environment for employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You are expected to work long hours (in 21 reviews)

• No one holds upper management accountable (in 12 reviews)

1. "Change is hard"

Former Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Doner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's possible to make some great work at Doner
    The place is changing for the better
    If you're willing to take initiative and not give up, you can learn and grow there

Cons

The clients & creative opportunities vary widely; most of them are mediocre
    The agency relies on a steady stream of new business wins so the additional work on new business can be pretty intense
    There's still a lot of outdated thinking at senior levels of the company

Advice to Management

Bring in more fresh thinking at the senior levels
    Quickly move to downtown Detroit before it's too late

2. "Could not feel happier here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Doner full-time

Pros

Not only are bosses and co-workers incredibly flexible with hours and helping each other out , the company benefits are incredible, very generous PTO and maternity leave. Not to mention the numerous perks Doner offers like free concert tickets (I got Tim McGraw) and a $50 American Express gift card from the company congratulating me on my upcoming wedding! I am not even sure who initiated this but it truly made my day opening that in the mail. Also, new hire and quarterly happy hours makes it feel so much less like work. They offer different events like free Pilates classes and farmers markets. I could not feel more blessed to be surrounded by such thoughtful employees and have so many great opportunities. I get to work with all kinds of new people on a weekly basis and jump on various projects that are exposing me to all different parts of the advertising and social world. I recommend to ANYONE searching for a career in the marketing, creative or advertising world to seek out Doner.

Cons

Dark inside, but beautiful courtyard I often will work outside in (weather permitting)

Advice to Management

Get to know the people below you! Most do, but those who do not are missing out on some real talent.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good health insurance (you'll need it)
    -Caring, talented coworkers
    -Free tickets to events
    -Warren

You are a triathlete at Doner and if you're feeling optimistic, you can think of your time here as endurance training for your next big gig.

Cons

Doner can make you feel like a lot has been taken from you without much pay off. Reality check: No one wants to have a few beers at a Town Hall when they haven't had time to sit down for dinner with family and friends in months. Most people are connected by their mutual lethargy, depression and bitterness. This is not a state of mind which is conducive to creating great or "audacious" work. If creativity is the way you pay the bills, this type of burn out is real and pretty scary.

Employees are forced to compete against one another. It all makes up for a toxic experience that you'll need to drain from your pores for weeks after your departure.

Advice to Management

Creativity comes from letting people live their lives and trusting them to come back and share their experiences with you. We're the best at what we do when we aren't checking our email until 10pm or throughout our vacation time for dismal wages. The best employees come back to work happy and creatively refreshed when they're able to have work-life balance.

"Thank you" goes a long way. Make reviews more frequent.

"Overworked, Underpaid, Undervalued."

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers are great. Very down to earth & creative people.
    -Opportunity to work on different projects for many different clients.

Cons

I really don't know where to begin... The place is so unorganized, it's a wonder how anything gets accomplished. Employees are overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. I've personally never felt more overlooked and undervalued in my entire life. Deadlines are unreasonable and unrealistic. Good creative never gets to see the light of day due to office politics. Account teams never say "no" to Client, and never fight for good creative. It seems like the new CCO's main objective is to make employees feel less than. Work with no reward. The agency rebranding feels very inauthentic, one might even say it sounds like propaganda "KoolAid." There is a huge diversity problem. The office, which becomes your new home, is bleak, grey and uninspiring.

"If this review finds you considering a move from the big city to Southfield, Michigan, (Doner's Detroit) think again."

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Doner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A shrinking team of young friendly, engaging, creative, down-to-earth, midwestern folks. That being said, great co-workers can only shore up a skewed work / life balance so much that is, in the end, debilitating.

Cons

Newish narrow minded CCO that values appearance and lazy youth over hard-working maturity and brains, conservative over alternative, sound bites over substance, short-term box checking over long term solutions. P.R. for your agency is a noble goal, but not when the pursuit of it comes at the expense of your biggiest client's next campaign.

Advice to Management

Replace "accounting wiz / fashionista" CCO with someone(s) who are capable of, and interested in doing, audacious creative. Great speaking ability is an awesome skill for a Tony Robbins rally but its not enough to move a struggling agency out of the doldrums without solid work to back it up. Take away: If your portfolio is weak or not audacious, or mostly spec, and/or you need to work near your family in the Detroit Metro area out of dire financial hardship, Doner have have a place for you in their ranks.

"The most disappointing career experience."

Former Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI

I worked at Doner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They dont seem to understand how to manage creatives, so there's opportunity to fix many things.

Cons

They lose business every month it seems, very suspect upper management. Pay isn't competitive. This isn't the agency that Mr. Doner started, it's sad.

Advice to Management

Why bother.

"Momentum and smart leadership make for an agency on the up"

Pros

Big brand name clients
    Opportunity for promotion and hands on work
    Fun people to work with.
    Global presence with LA and London.

Cons

Detroit office needs a face lift or relocation
    Some people abuse the system
    Long hours but usually are recognized for it

Advice to Management

Let younger people in he agency lead more often, reduce barriers. The people who bash the company on here are clearly disgruntled employees. If you don’t like the place, leave.

"I would not wish Doner on my worst enemy."

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. My boss is great, their boss is great, then the chain of great stops.
    I really love my team.
    Out of sheet lucks I've been afforded a few really great opportunities.
    Good resume builder If another agency sees you worked at Doner, they know you'll work hard because anywhere else is easy compared to Doner.

Cons

Terrible upper level management, CEO, and CCO
    They are constantly trying to improve morale with "let's throw a mandatory department party for an entire half of a day, which only half of the agency will be invited to, but we won't have anyone to help take the work off of your plate so you'll just have to do that tonight or maybe even this weekend," instead of, "let's hire some more people to do the work so you don't have to work tonight or on the weekend."
    Everyone at Doner seems to hate working at Doner
    All the people at the top are insincere and don't even take the time to learn your name.
    Every time they do something like being better about paying females more - it seems to all of us that they're in it for the publicity and not because they support the cause.
    Gray cubes, no sunlight, outdated everything.

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually do the work.
    Work towards creating a better work environment.
    I think caring about your employees would be a step in the right direction.
    Maybe ask your employees about why they're unhappy instead of assuming that a party will make everything better. You know what they say about assuming...

"There are plenty of other options in the area."

I have been working at Doner full-time

Pros

Pretty relaxed environment, and an okay variety of accounts.

Cons

Lack of opportunity, unless you 'know someone.'

"What else left to say..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Doner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There aren't really any pro's to working here other than it being a stepping stone? But, I'd step elsewhere considering the amount of options these days.

Cons

Everything that I didn't include as a pro, is a con.

Advice to Management

Nobody cares about these parties or events when they feel like a ruse to distract us from our scraps they call wages...