Donna Independent School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Roberto F. Loredo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Donna, TX

I have been working at Donna Independent School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great hours, vacation, weekend off, friends, education

Cons

hours, inservices, stress, compensation, administration

2. "Leadership problems"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Donna Independent School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are people who making an effort to do their best and there are good performing schools.

Cons

To much nepotism in certain schools and sexual misconduct throughout the district.

Advice to Management

Back up the teachers and control student behavior.

3. "Great experience and realized it after being able to compare to new district"

Former Employee - Teacher in Donna, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Donna, TX

I worked at Donna Independent School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training provided and support given is amazing in the schools I was at in this district compared to the district I ended up at in another state. Teachers really truly care about the kids and are very dedicated. This is where I started teaching so didn't know any better. When I moved to FL and began working in a much larger district, I realized most things about the district and teachers at the school I was at was so far behind where I came from. Technologically advanced and looking for new innovative instruction. The pay is better and more organized here than the district in FL I went to.

Cons

As anywhere, when a person or group ends up not liking you or taking offense to you, it is clear to see that they will do whatever they can to get you to leave or turn things around making in nearly impossible to come back. Luckily, I was never in that position, but I did see it happen to others and I have seen this happen at many prior places of employment. That goes for many people that are able to make the right influence on the right people will move up easier than others for advancement opportunities, which as well is general for most companies I have seen as well.

Advice to Management

Try to always listen to the teachers and continually get their advice on changes. When teachers are happy and feeling heard, everyone will be more successful.

4. "Being a teacher is a challenging job no matter where you are"

Current Employee - Teacher in Donna, TX

I have been working at Donna Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits considering cost of living. I enjoyed working with the students and teachers, and I worked with a great team of teachers. Like most jobs, a lot depends on your co-workers, but I had great experiences the two years I was there.

Cons

Did not receive enough relevant professional development for my position, and I was moved to a different content area my second year without any training in the content. There is too much focus on standardized testing, but that is a larger issue outside of the district's control.

5. "Great Students, Great Co-Workers but lack of administrative support makes for frustrating environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Donna, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Donna, TX

Pros

The best reason to work at DISD is every teacher's best reason- summers off. Other than that it is not any better and quite worse than other districts in the Valley. Also, the district is supportive of obtaining higher education.

Cons

The lack of direction and focus from administration makes it a difficult place to work. There are no consequences for staff or students that are consistently applied making everyone of different pages.

Advice to Management

As mentioned above, there is a need for consistency in expectations and enforcement of those expectations for both staff and students.

6. "Wonderful experience"

Pros

Great staff to work with and administration

Cons

Resources are not always available