Donna Morgan Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Long Time Employee"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, great people to work with, learned a lot. Upper management is great at taking people under their wing to learn more about the business. CEO is really flexible and understanding with hours/time off. People who you work with in other departments are a great support system.

Cons

Because our backend is connected remotely to a larger company, we have IT issues here and there

2. "Creative and Balanced"

Current Employee - Design in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design in New York, NY

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Creative and open to new ideas
    - Good team work and nice team members
    - Fast past environment, you have to think on your feet
    - New projects to work on with different clients/ markets
    - Really good work life balance
    - Travel

Cons

- No yearly performance reviews

Advice to Management

- Needs more structure

3. "Positive Outlook"

Current Employee - Production in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production in New York, NY

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with seasoned knowledgeable professionals. Small company, family environment. CEO is very hands on and supportive of her staff. She will always partner with you to find solutions to problems. Kathleen is a great mentor to young people starting in the industry. Good work life balance.

Cons

Because we are part of larger IT network, response time is slow

Advice to Management

Need more structure

4. "11111111111111"

Pros

very helpful, learn a lot

Cons

no any cons at all! everything just perfect

5. "Working at Donna Morgan is by far the best opportunity I have ever been given."

Former Employee - E-Commerce Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - E-Commerce Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Donna Morgan is truly an incredible company. Unlike many CEO's that have also been in the business for a long time, Kathleen rolls with the changes in the industry. She is always on top of new trends and works side by side with her employees to give the customer what they want. She gives her employees the complete freedom and power to grow in the company and also explore what they like to do and are good at doing. She is willing to do whatever it takes to help you succeed. She wants you to love what you do and to be as excited about it as she is. She appreciates hard work and it never goes unnoticed. I didn't know much (or anything) about the part of the company that I ended up working in, and instead of firing me, she saw my potential. Anyone else would have fired me (or wouldn't have hired me), but not Kathleen. She saw that I was a hard worker and that I really wanted to learn, so she taught me and had my colleagues teach me as well. She not only gave me the opportunity and tools to succeed, she truly wanted me to. I started at the company as basically an intern just trying to learn, and less than two years later was working at a high level in that department, all because Kathleen was willing to teach me and give me the tools I needed to succeed. She cares about her employees and still has many people working for her that have been at the company since it started more than 15 years ago.

This is my first time on Glass door, and I'm shocked by what some of these reviews say. Kathleen is one of the most incredible people that I have ever gotten the pleasure of knowing and learning from. It makes me feel like these people didn't even work at the same company that I did. I'm sad to say that if Kathleen were a man, most of these negative reviews would not exist. Due to the fact that she's a woman, even gentle constructive criticism, would deem her as some kind of monster. If she was a man, it would deem her as a wonderful boss. I watched Kathleen give chance after to chance to employees that sometimes didn't deserve it. Please don't let any of these negative reviews scare you, because they were probably written by those people.

Working at Donna Morgan is by far the best opportunity I have ever been given, and if you are lucky enough to get involved in the company, I promise you won't regret it.

Cons

I have no cons to share. I feel so unbelievably grateful that Kathleen gave me the opportunity to not only work for the company, but to also show my dedication, learn, and grow at the company.

Advice to Management

To Kathleen..thank you for everything. Keep doing what you know and love, you're incredible at it.

6. "Technical designer"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Donna Morgan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small, family like environment - exposed to experience all aspects of the business. If one has a great work ethic with very high quality standard of work, you will be much appreciated and compensated for... We have employees who's been here for +10 years, so Donna Morgan can't be all that "bad" as described on some of these reviews.

Cons

Due to lack of team in our department, multi tasking is must... and working long hour. Also our boss is known to micromanage but that's normal for someone who is a perfectionist and people who really understand her are not too really bothered by this.

Advice to Management

Give more recognition on work performance - motivate and encourage the employees by providing more incentive.

7. "You will learn who you DON’T want to be."

Former Employee - Design in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Design in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to be around someone as seasoned, knowledgeable and supportive as “Donna Morgan” herself is the only gift in working at this place. My negotiated pay was pretty high. Ultimately, I learned who I did NOT want to be as a designer, business person and human being after working here... which was incredibly valuable.

Cons

Unfortunately, all the reviews in regards to the behavior and demeanor of CEO Kathleen McFeeters and those that work directly under her are true. The entire company goes in the office in fear of if they will be the person yelled at like a dog who urinated on the floor. She is an unstable CEO, runs her business off of whims instead of stability, pits employees against each other, allows as well as participates in extensive gossip and fear mongering of employees, easily manipulated by senior employees to get others who are a threat fired. It’s an extremely toxic environment. Definitely not the pro-woman, pro-team environment they will sell you at the interview. If you realize this place isn’t a good fit and reject their employment offer Kathleen will stalk you for months trying to get you to work there. She constantly fires designers and rehires them with “bigger” promises and titles the next go round. Complete chaos. Extremely high rate of employee turn over. Senior employees are very threatened by anyone who has something to bring to the table and will turn on you to get you fired. They will attempt to prove their worth in the company by bashing others, alienating them from meetings, dismissing their good work, putting down their ideas and expertise or taking undue credit all to make themselves look good in Kathleen’s eyes. No team work at all. Every man for him or herself. Kathleen will fire you then try to contact you months later to rehire you. It is truly insane and ridiculous . Massive state and federal work place violations issues. Very unprofessional work environment. It is pretty clear that the positive reviews are written by Kathleen herself. Working here is akin to “The Devil Wears Prada” except it is even more insane and obviously without the glamour. At this point, it is widely known through the industry that this place is awful to work at.

Advice to Management

Unless there is a massive change at the top, I don’t see these reviews changing. One would think the parent company, Maggy London, would step in, but they don’t. Hand the keys to Donna. This is unfortunate, as I’m sure this brand was not built on the type of unprofessional behavior it is run on today.

Dec 5, 2018 – founder/owner

Thank you for your review. Donna retired eight years ago; she would be thrilled to know your experience with her was so memorable. We hope you have found a fulfilling career.

8. "Techncal Design"

Former Employee - Tech Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive co-workers and modern design aesthetic.

Cons

Bad work enviroment, nasty management.

"Horrible. The negative reviews are true."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A paycheck comes of your work, even if it is small.

Cons

Everything else everyone has said is spot on and there is no point for me to repeat it. I will agree that pay is low and Kathleen is psycho. She clearly wrote the positive reviews, look how obvious they are and starkly different they are from the actuality of the negative reviews! Truly insane.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending time trying to claim all the honest people on your company review page are lying and generating your own reviews to counter them, you should consider implementing the kind of work environment you are imagining when you craft these positive reviews.

Dec 5, 2018 – founder/owner

Thank you for your review, The company went through some difficult times we are happy to be on the other side of that now. Please note that management is not allowed to write reviews on Glassdoor.

"RUN"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Donna Morgan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office space is very nice. The team I work with is great but everyone has their resumes updated! Maybe the high turnover is a good way to meet new people?

Cons

CEO IS INSANE. I have never seen a more unstable environment. She screams, belittles people, and pushes her management staff to lead the same. She micromanages every department and seems to not have realized that the business has evolved since 1998.
     This place is a pile oh HR violations and probably basic human rights laws. Spare yourself the worst year of your life and do something you love.

Advice to Management

Hand the keys to the parent brand, Maggy London.

Dec 5, 2018 – founder/owner

Thank you for your review it is always helpful to hear. We see from your review the lack of knowledge around the company structure and our inability to have communicated that to you. Maggy London is... More