Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) Reviews | Glassdoor

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) Reviews

Updated Oct 13, 2019

3.2
Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) CEO Daniel N. Leib (no image)
Daniel N. Leib
Pros
  • "I was on a great team, lots of fun while getting tons of work done, really the ideal work environment(in 6 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is great, flexible hours, friends to keep for life(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "No room to progress on your career, not enough knowledge sharing, poor management(in 8 reviews)

• "Very limited room for growth within the company(in 6 reviews)

1. "great , and smart people, awesome energy and tech stack"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than a year

Pros

new tech stack learning opportunity team leads and senior engineers are very collaborative and eager to share their knowledge and experience

Cons

1- testing - organize the testing team, higher more QA to handle testing 2- benefits 401k insurance they are not the best

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN)2019-09-10

"Frustrating, stressful, incompetent"

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional

I worked at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Immediate colleagues are fun and there is a casual dress code. Some people care about you but they are not the ones making the decisions.

Cons

There are many and have been many. A flat pay raise that is embarrassing to mention, less than 1% regardless of performance. The position I held was very high stressed. Lots of weekend and holiday overtime. 24 hour business, 5 days a week. Some locations, 7 days a week. The work is niche business and people are put into certain positions of authority that don't understand the departments or even the business,... therefore there is quiet a bit of incompetence. Some locations definitely have a "boys club" feel. The company split from the "mother" company in 2016 and is STILL trying to find its footing. It is being chipped away at by smaller competitors and employees are the ones paying with the lost of their jobs, while management continues to grow and the company continues to spend funds in other areas. Proving that the employees really are not valued. The technology is slow to catch up with the rest of the world. There is little to no growth/promotion unless you're part of the "in" crowd. You are expected to learn a lot of government rules and regulations that are constantly changing and you certainly are not paid accordingly. Don't expect sympathy if you are seriously ill or there is severe weather conditions as you will probably receive a call or text from your supervisor as to when you will arrive at work. The benefits provided are so bad, I am surprised they are still offered. This position/department is not where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Where is the change that was promised? If you truly appreciate your employees, prove it by a minimum cost of living wage. Seriously work on improving health benefits. Look in the mirror as well when WFR is considered.

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN)2019-09-18
  3. "Great Company to work for"

Pros

Awesome People work here and so should you

Cons

I don't see any downside

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN)2019-09-09
  4. "Great things happening here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've really enjoyed my time here so far. There have been tremendous changes in the last two years and DFIN has been growing a ton since my first day. There are some super smart, savvy and genuine people on the leadership team.

Cons

Things can always be better but I feel that the company understands where it needs improvement and is addressing it properly.

"Don't bother!"

Former Employee - Composition Specialist III in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Absolutely none, unless you live in India, because that's where the work gets done.

Cons

Too many to mention in such a small space.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate.

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN)2019-10-13
  6. "Ever Evolving with an Eye on the Future"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Solid leadership, above average compensation, casual dress code.

Cons

healthcare costs, too many people pulled over from RRD that aren't a fit in a SaaS company

Advice to Management

Continue to evaluate the personnel brought over from RRD as many of them are slowing down the progress of the company

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN)2019-09-09
  7. "Good people but struggling"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great group of people in my location

Cons

Moving very slowly towards become a software company.

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN)2019-09-16
  8. "I have recently joined in May 2019."

Current Employee - Applications Security Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

Pros

Best security working group Good team work and life balance Leadership transparency

Cons

Benefits WFH options Investing in right people and in right technology

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) Response

September 13, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review and congratulations on recently joining DFIN! As we grow we continue to monitor employee feedback to ensure we are doing our best to stay competitive as well as balance the needs of the people in our organization. There are exciting things to come regarding our benefits and we will continue to invest in our employees.

"Most toxic workplace"

I worked at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN)

Pros

The company is trying to stay up to date with its technology stack and working hard towards modernization.

Cons

There is a toxic "bro" culture where employees openly speak badly about each other, put others skills down (this especially happens with the younger guys blatantly calling older employees stupid), and disrespect each other. They use derogatory language and there is little collaboration. I did not realize how bad it actually was until I left and saw at my new place of employment what it is actually like to respect... others, help with shortcomings and enjoy coming to work. No workplace is perfect but DFS had A LOT of progress to be made.

Advice to Management

If you want to be successful with the modernization of your products, you have to ensure mutual respect amongst employees and a collaborative environment. Otherwise people like me will keep jumping ship even if it means less compensation, my mental health could not take it anymore. It starts from the top down, if you tolerate this behavior, it is only going to get worse and impact your bottom line.

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) Response

September 13, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we are sorry to hear about your negative workplace experience while at DFIN. Our IT leadership team is committed to creating a positive and collaborative environment for individuals to grow and succeed. We are committed to ensuring a positive work space where ideas and abilities for all individuals are embraced.

"Company in transition"

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good teammates and good local management.

Cons

DFIN is in process of internal reorganization and downsizing.

Found 118 reviews