Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2021

2.7
Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) Chief Executive Officer Daniel N. Leib (no image)
Daniel N. Leib
Pros
Cons
  • "Even though DFIN is having its best year this year, still no merit increase(in 9 reviews)

• "Chicago upper management site on their thrones presiding over the disaster that is the rest of the company(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Recommend"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Upward movement as software products expand; Huge focus on expanding the products and offerings to clients; Changing the sales to solution based sales

Cons

Nothing more than any other company

2. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best place to work with newer technologies

Cons

nothing at this point about DFIN

"No Growth"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I like working environment. It s not very stressful

Cons

It s very hard to grow here unless you have connections with upper level management. Benefits are not good.. Even though DFIN is having its best year this year, still no merit increase.

4. "Company transforming"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, terrific client base

Cons

Not investing enough in technology

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Collaborative culture, growing company, nice coworkers

Cons

Very very fast moving organization with frequent changes in organization

"Weak management. Poor culture. Terrible benefits. Deserves ZERO stars."

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Support Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Some good people still exist there, though the ranks have dwindled.

Cons

Benefits/401k: The medical/dental benefits are a joke. Sky high deductibles/costs, even for annual preventative checkups. The 401k plan is equally bad. Don’t believe any promise of a match – it’s an empty promise. The match is “contingent” on the company hitting unrealistic growth goals. It’s a delibrately confusing "percent of a percent of a percent" math exercise that results in little to no match at all. Perhaps expecting a cost of living increase each year? 3% seems reasonable? Not here. Try 1% - and even that’s threatened annually. Question it and you’re told that you’re lucky to have a job. Individual performance is a non-factor. Your bonus rests entirely (yes 100%) on how the company performs. You can be a superstar, it doesn’t matter. Pretty much explains why there are few superstars left here. They apparently got smart and left for where their achievements would be recognized and rewarded. Training/Development: Forget it. Costly golf memberships are easily approved for legacy salespeople, while attending inexpensive, external training sessions (even virtually) to keep up on job-related skills are routinely denied. Expect your skills to collect dust here. Diversity: Visit the leadership page on the DFIN website and decide for yourself the importance that’s placed on diversity. This is a picture of a 1980’s leadership team. Culture: Somewhere between lousy and terrible. Legacy RRD employees are smug and treat the newer people poorly. The CEO is a numbers guy. He’s not charismatic or visionary and doesn’t know how to inspire a company through change. The president constantly bullies anyone outside his inner circle for sheer pleasure. He’s insecure and threatened by those he perceives to be smarter than him, and finds ways to push them out. It’s the only reason why he’s lasted as long as he has. The tenor within the company is one of constant looming doom. When the business is going well, people are told not to get too excited as the market can turn quickly. When the business is underperforming, the message takes on a panic tone. Despite what is said, engagement is NOT measured because no one really cares if you're happy or not. Just keep clients happy. Products: While they claim to be a ‘technology company’ and ‘global leader’, not a single one of their tech/SaaS offerings actually leads the market. Not one. Venue is an overpriced and underwhelming product that has perpetually trailed a much stronger market leader. Same with Proxy. Active-Disclosure is an outright failure. After roughly TEN YEARS, it’s still a mediocre, unstable product that barely serves as a functioning compliance solution (when it works, that is). Innovation is slow. Products are kludgy and outdated. They have no clue about mobile. I mean, they don’t even have an app available for their products. It’s 2020. You can’t call yourself a tech company and not have a mobile app available to customers. I could keep going, but you get the picture. Take the advice of an earlier poster. RUN. For the hills. FAST. There are better companies out there that are growing and will appreciate your value, celebrate your individuality, develop your skills, welcome your innovative ideas, not bully you on a daily basis for fun and not make you beg for a 1% increase.

Continue reading
  7. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior AR Analyst (LTL) in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work life balance is good, lots of flexibility with remote working.

Cons

Insurance benefits are pretty expensive and all plans have high deductibles. Not much room for growth or career advancement.

8. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Assistant Press Operator

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, Good co workers, Decent management

Cons

Long hours and forced overtime

9. COVID-19

"No opportunity for advancement"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working from home due to Covid-19

Cons

no advancement, poor management, no leadership

Donnelley Financial Solutions (DFIN) Response

September 30, 2020Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to write this review. We encourage communication with your Manager about your career goals and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training, and knowledge to help mobilize their career. Our employees are our most valuable asset, in 2020 alone we have implemented several programs and learning tools for employee growth and development.

10. COVID-19

"Island of Misfit Toys"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

None. Some nice people but that has nothing to do with Donnelley. I got a few chuckles out of the blue-steel Zoolander looks division heads like to do on Zoom calls. Apparently DFIN management missed their calling on Broadway. Anyway, no benefits. I wouldn't believe some of the other recent reviews btw - management has asked people to post on social media. Notice how most of the reviews have the same verbiage, lexicon, and diction? The last 10 real reviews on this site are all one star. If you are career oriented, run away. Trust me! I guess if youve been fired at all your other jobs or havnt had "a job" in like 10 years then OK maybe come to DFIN.

Cons

DFIN is a company where former middle management at an old failing printer are moonlighting as executive officers and pretending they can do SaaS and Tech. Like some of the reviews said, mind-boggling leadership where if you badmouth division higher-ups, you are gone. Lazy employees on the corporate side. Not the brightest of bulbs. No career path, people at the beginning of the career get especially screwed. Unless you are in sales expect your compensation and benefits to be much lower than initially told. How sales people have record years but everyone elses bonuses gets cut cause sales didnt sell enough is beyond me. Why cant management understand how insane this is?

Viewing 1 - 10 of 153 English Reviews