Donor Network West Reviews | Glassdoor

Cindy Siljestrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Mission Critical"

I have been working at Donor Network West full-time

Pros

The mission is critical and the people are passionate.

Cons

Work life balance is not modeled by leadership. People fear making mistakes.

Advice to Management

The top executive leaders need to constantly display passion and engagement. All of the leaders need to be more visible and available.

"Great Company, Incredible Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Donor Network West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission, Awesome People, Flexibility, Culture

Cons

Organ and tissue donation is very rewarding but challenging work. Workers in this industry can suffer compassion fatigue and sometimes burnout.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Nothing worth doing is easy. You're a dedicated group of great people.

May 4, 2017 – Director of Procurement

Thank you for your feedback. Compassion fatigue and burnout will certainly remain areas of focus for us. We still have a lot of work ahead of us and I'm glad to see you think we're headed in the... More

"Low Morale"

I have been working at Donor Network West full-time

Pros

Fantastic Mission. The work is truly life giving and very gratifying.

Cons

COO doesn't understand the meaning of teamwork. He leads with a stick and is quick to judge. He looks for fault rather than solutions. He plays favorites with some and targets others. Decisions are made among two to three people at the top and decisions pushed down. He does not allow for independent leader decision making. Must be his way. Blame culture is a huge problem.

Advice to Management

All executive leadership at the top needs to be aware of the morale problem and take ownership. One person calling the shots for the entire organization is not healthy.

May 30, 2017 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for bringing this difficult subject to our attention. We appreciate the feedback. I have to admit it was difficult to read and apologize for the perception. The entire senior leadership... More

"Tissue Donation Coordinator"

Current Employee - Tissue Donation Coordinator in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Tissue Donation Coordinator in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Donor Network West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our tissue team is amazing! We have a very good working relationship with each other. The shifts are 3 days one week and 4 days the next week for 12 hour shifts. We have a great mission and get to save lives. Also, management is so helpful and it's a positive work environment.

Cons

Some families can be a handful and there's a lot of pressure to do things quickly.

Apr 13, 2017 – Director of Procurement

Thank you for the feedback. Your management team has been working hard to create a positive work environment and I'm glad to hear we're on the right track.

The pressures of time are a challenge in... More

"Great people and a great place to work"

I worked at Donor Network West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in the tissue department are a friendly and kind group. The job was fast paced and never boring. Managers were overall wonderful people and cared about the staff. Most of the time I liked being at the office. In addition, the new office was a wonderful upgrade and really improved morale and did help to decrease the perceived separation between the clinical and business teams.

Cons

It seemed that there was widespread dissatisfaction in the tissue departments with regards to understaffing, and the problem persisted for almost a year with no improvement. Thus, the staff was chronically exhausted and it decreased overall contentment, and caused a subtle rift between management and team.

Advice to Management

When I was getting overwhelmed and burnt out with the job, the HR rep suggested that I consider anti anxiety meds, which I thought was a little strange, being that they were suggesting I medicate myself to cope with the emotional stress of the job. I would discourage this in the future, and leave that up to a psychiatric professional. They should be more focused on fixing the problem and not fixing the person, because it left me feeling terrible.

"Working in Organ Donation"

I worked at Donor Network West full-time

Pros

The work Donor Network does is very unique and it gives employee's an opportunity to directly see the efforts of their daily work. The team based approach helps you form genuine bonds with your co-workers. You are constantly working with brilliant people who are performing life saving work, this results in an intrinsic incentive to go above and beyond. Working at DnWest has greatly improved my communication skills as well as my working medical knowledge. The people working there are kind and really take you in as one of their own.

Cons

Working in organ donation is very demanding, both emotionally and physically. It involves long hours and a work schedule that really is not in tune with the rest of society (not a typical 9-5 for certain positions). The reasoning behind it is due to the nature of the field which works 365, 24/7. The interview/training process is fairly extensive, but it results in competent and committed individuals.

Advice to Management

Continue being responsive to recommendations from all employees. Keep up the good work maintaining open communication and transparency that DnWest has committed itself too. Lastly, sprinkle in a couple more team building exercises.

"Coordinator"

I have been working at Donor Network West full-time

Pros

great mission and friendly people

Cons

poor culture, dwindling benefits, weak senior leadership

Dec 27, 2016 – Director of Procurement

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We've started crafting an employee satisfaction survey and plan to distribute it early in 2017. Your thoughts are valuable and I hope you might... More

"Culture"

I have been working at Donor Network West full-time

Pros

Very committed to the mission

Cons

Shows a lack of trust in staff

Advice to Management

Self reflection - culture starts at the top

"Great mission; horrible company."

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Donor Network West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Some really great and dedicated people.

Cons

Horrible hours, low pay, no room for advancement, complete disrespect of the employees by management. Bizarre and unhealthy corporate culture. Objectively low performance without the ideas or will to improve. An absolute failure of senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Organ procurement organizations need leaders who believe in selfless public service, have a vision for the future and that can lead and grow a high functioning team. Management is shockingly deficient in these qualities.

"Hospital Liaison"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Donor Network West full-time

Pros

Generous PTO Bank; casual corporate work environment at corporate with perks if you work in the office - otherwise you're out of luck.

Cons

On call 24/7 and non-existent work-life balance; ever changing expectations; lack of camaraderie and open hostility among peer groups. Disregard for end of life experience as it becomes about production and numbers. Casual corporate work environment not translated to field. No management follow through even on serious issues.

Advice to Management

Provide equal support to all employees equally regardless of job classification. Follow through with serious issues.

May 4, 2017 – Director of Procurement

Thank you for expecting more of us. Our 2017 employee survey also reflected a need to increase our focus on remote offices and field staff, and we plan to do just that!
    We appreciate your honest... More