Donorworx Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Jeff O’Neill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The feeling that you are genuinely making a difference (in 5 reviews)

• Wonderful organization full of like minded individuals with a passion to change the lives of children around the world (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant travel if you want full time employment (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours , work can get tedious , and creating a demand for a product without one is extremely hard (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good Experience, Need More Oversight"

I worked at Donorworx part-time

Pros

I loved the cause I was fundraising for, my managers were always excellent, and I learned a lot about pitching.

Cons

No connection to corporate. There was no information available. After the contract ended, I was never contacted again.

Advice to Management

Connect more.

Jun 13, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for submitting a review! I am so glad to hear that you had a positive experience fundraising in the field and working closely with our management team. I am very sorry to hear of the lack... More

2. "Don't do it unless you have to"

Former Employee - Street Canvasser in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Street Canvasser in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Donorworx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most amazing part of working at Donorworx is the people you meet. You'll have really awesome Co-Workers, who if they stay long enough can become good friends. The workforce is also really diverse which I love. You get fulltime work if you want, which is great if you need the money. You also never usually have to work Sundays, which is what I wanted since I attended church. They are pretty transparent about expectations and standards. I worked at Donorworx for a few months. Most definitely would not depend on it as a long term job. Good if you are in need of a job right away, and for a few paychecks. It seems like it's a scam, but it's not. You are working for a legitimate company, and you will get paid. You are working on behalf of an awesome nonprofit that does incredible work, and even though the work is tough you're making a difference. They provide you with the gear you need such as a shirt, coat, and bag which was nice. Team nights were fun.

Cons

The turn over is extremely high, literally you could have a completely new set of co-workers every week. You get attached to someone and then poof they are gone. Either because they didn't make their numbers, or they quit. The numbers for this job are way too high. They don't tell you this when you start, but most managers got hired directly into management positions because they did canvassing previously. Only 2 people at Donorworx made 24 points 2 weeks in a row, and they didn't even get promoted immediately. It's all lies. It's not impossible, but it is extremely hard and unlikely to go from Canvassing to becoming a Team Lead. They don't have enough sites, you'll literally be professionally begging for money next to homeless people, and other canvassers which can be hard and at times makes you feel guilty. You can easily lose your job in 3 days. You have to work regardless of the weather conditions. It doesn't matter if it is pouring outside raining. I've had my shoes completely soaked twice from stepping in puddles. I had to work soaking wet the whole day. The time off policy sucks. You can't miss work for 90 days, it doesn't matter what the excuse is unless you have a death in the family, or a doctor's note. A doctor's note is hard to get if you are poor and can't afford insurance. Upper management can care less, and I feel that Sherry the president of the company is pretty fake. They offer insurance after 90 days, but most people don't receive it because they are usually fired, or quit before. They really don't expect people to last very long, they make you feel like you can become a manager and stay there long, but it is all just so they can try and make you get good numbers. People can be extremely rude, but don't let it get to you. When you're canvassing you usually don't have a microwave, and it is hard to find bathrooms at some of the sites. At Decatur I'd go to Raging Burrito, Sweet Hut at Midtown, the Public Library when we were by Jimmy Johns, and the pizza place at Little 5 Points. Most people are pretty nice. You can make some good bonuses, but if they cancel before 2 months you'll get a snatch back or something where they take the amount you are advanced out of your next paycheck. So make sure your getting quality donors, and forming good connections, because if you don't you'll pay for it. I was so loyal and naive, now I know better. I am grateful for the experience, it teaches you persistence for sure. Security wise they were taking pics of people SS#'s and sending them to the main office on their phones. I most definitely did not like that, and thought it was extremely unprofessional and insecure. They pay you too little. $10 an hour is not enough for all of the hard work you do. They say you can make more, but the truth is you normally don't.

Advice to Management

Make the numbers people need to make each week more reasonable. 16 points a week is enough, and will allow you to have a more consistent team and less turn over. Create more sites, or if you don't get more sites stop hiring when you have enough people so sites aren't as congested and everyone can be successful. Take sites and test sites into account when people don't make their numbers. If everyone who worked at one site didn't get any donors then don't count that day against them. Take into account the donors who go online, find a way to give face to face canvassers credit for the work they do. You are losing money. Feed your people more. And treat us like humans we are not machines. Allow flexibility within the first 90 days and grant people the ability to get a few days off if needed, or to change their schedule.

Jun 29, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and providing this detail on your concerns. If you are comfortable with doing so, our HR Generalist would like to hear from you so we can address... More

3. "fundraiser"

I have been working at Donorworx full-time

Pros

good experience, meet great people

Cons

HAPHAZARD, DECEITFUL, COntrolling, Bad enviorment

Jun 13, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review. Our Human Resources Generalist would like to discuss the cons you have shared to ensure we are able to work towards a positive... More

4. "Life changing work"

Current Employee - Fundraiser
    Current Employee - Fundraiser

I have been working at Donorworx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leaders and team
    Part of something bigger than yourself
    Transparent management
    Hands on training
    Flexible hours
    No glass ceiling (room for growth)

Cons

I wish there were health benefits

Advice to Management

Keep building a team of fundraisers like the ones we have.

Jun 13, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Hearing what is important to our fundraisers, is essential to the success of donorworx! I appreciate you sharing with me the importance of health... More

"No job stability"

Former Employee - Face-to-Face Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Face-to-Face Fundraiser

I worked at Donorworx full-time

Pros

Very nice and passionate people. They motivate you everyday and treat you like family. They genuinely want to help and make an impact in the world. Only good if you're a bored college kid who wants something to do on summer break.

Cons

No job stability. You can lose your job after 3 days, if you don't reach your quota. Schedules are not that flexible too. You have to beg for a weekend off. The reason why they're always hiring is because they fire people just like that. You don't get that paid all the much either, they pay you minimum wage.

Advice to Management

You have to at least make people want to stay rather than firing people almost everyday and looking for new ones only to go back to zero and train them again.

Jun 13, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We are pleased to share that we are developing more and more windmill campaigns so we can stay in regions longer and be able to offer increased hours and... More

6. "Awesome Place To Work"

Pros

Wonderful organization full of like minded individuals with a passion to change the lives of children around the world. You get the opportunity to meet and interact with people from all over while bringing awareness to the issues of extreme poverty. You work in a team environment that is both uplifting and encouraging. You have the ability to use your talents, but are also challenged to grow in new areas. I couldn't be happier!

Cons

It can be difficult at times, but the level of support that is offered is very constructive and helpful in achieving your goals.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job, stay engaged.

Jun 13, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review! It does not get better than working with a team of passionate individuals excited to leave a positive footprint in the world!
    Fundraising is one... More

7. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Fundraising Team Leader in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Fundraising Team Leader in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

This is an excellent organization to get involved with if you want to help make the world a better place!! This company has a way of making you feel like you're part of a family~ I've never felt so happy to come into a job. :-) It's been a great way for me to learn more about navigating through the city, breaking through some social anxiety, and helping some children all over the world!

Cons

The high turnover rate of canvassing jobs makes it a bit painful to watch people that you've become close to leave the job. It's also a little tough dealing with tejection, but at the same time, I felt like I've become a much stronger person because of this.

Advice to Management

This company is doing an exceptional job already, but I think it would be helpful to focus more on recruiting more employees to keep growing!

Jun 13, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your kind words and expressing your positive experience with us! Making new friends, and having the opportunity to change lives at the same time makes this such a special place... More

8. "Fundraising Hands on experience"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Boston, MA

I worked at Donorworx part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn, Great team and supervisor, Cause driven people

Cons

Long standing hours, not very high pay

9. "One of a Kind"

I worked at Donorworx (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is absolutely one of a kind. From the moment you start with donorworx, you are thought of as a valued member of the organization. Colleagues are free to collaborate with one another and are encouraged to bring their own style and personality into the world of fundraising. The environment I worked in was supportive, yet also challenged me to bring my best self each day. My supervisors and colleagues helped to create a culture that was fun, mission-driven, honest, and felt like family. If you are looking to join a company that challenges you to grow both personally and professionally, while allowing you to advocate for incredible causes and charities, definitely consider joining donorworx.

Cons

This is not a job for those who give up easily or lack intrinsic motivation. As a fundraiser, you need to literally prepare yourself for every single shift you work. You will be provided ongoing training and support, but you need that internal drive to help you through the rejection and other difficult or slow moments. Also, if you don't take well to coaching or constructive criticism, this job may be difficult for you.

Advice to Management

Continue empowering and supporting your field leadership, provide recognition to those who hit small milestones as well as large goals, and don't allow space or time for negative nellies.

Jun 3, 2016 – Digital Communications

Thank you for your feedback. You're right about the mission-driven and family-oriented culture that exists at donorworx. And our collaborative, personal approach to fundraising, is in my opinion... More

"A job with a purpose"

Former Employee - Campaign Leader
    Former Employee - Campaign Leader

Pros

-This is a job with a purpose and you will leave work feeling fulfilled!
    -Donorworx partners with some of the best charities so you have the chance to acquire basic experience in non-profit work and entry level fundraising skills.
    -Hours are flexible to your schedule (unless you are a leader).
    -No day is the same! This is a 100% interactive, fun job and you are constantly talking and meeting new people.

Cons

-You are always on your feet.
    -Very rude mall shoppers and a lot of rejection.
    -Schedule is performance based. You must meet your goals.
    -Very little room for advancement/promotion after the Campaign Leader level.
    -Donorworx has an NO reference policy. When your campaign is over don't count on a reference from management.
    -No benefits at the fundraiser level.
    -Don't expect a long term full time job.

Advice to Management

-Be truthful and transparent to your leaders and fundraisers.
    -No Reference policies are unethical. Treat your current and previous employees right.

Jun 3, 2016 – Digital Communications

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I agree that one of the highlights of the job is that each day is unique and filled with meeting new and interesting people. This is a... More