Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Anthony Insinna

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • pays more than other child care centers (in 5 reviews)

• I have been working at DoodleBugs (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to call to get a bathroom break and you're considered lucky if that break comes within 2 hours of the call (in 8 reviews)

• Calling in sick was not a real thing, aka not allowed (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good starting place"

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers part-time

Pros

rhe company has high standards and amazing facilities.

Cons

Teacher salary
    Some staff members can be unprofessional

2. "Housekeeping....what a joke!"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Greece, NY
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Greece, NY

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

That I no longer work there!

Cons

The whole company is a con!

Advice to Management

Close your doors and let real people run it!

"So much potential, so little pay"

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time

Pros

I worked at Doodle Bugs as a Teacher's Assistant from 2013-2015. From October 2015 to June 2016 I was a Lead Infant Teacher. I worked at two locations during my time with the company. I started out at East Amherst and ended at Lancaster.

- Overall, I think that Doodle Bugs! is one of the cleanest, safest child care centers in our area. If I were a parent, I could definitely see the appeal.

- Generally, I had great supervisors (Center Directors). Unfortunately, the turnover is horrible so in my span of less than 3 years, I saw several people come and go.

- The families were wonderful. I still miss "my" kids to this day. The parents and the kids were why I stayed for so long. I was blessed with an incredible classroom.

Cons

- PAY. With my bachelor's degree I was making $10 an hour. My current position pays double that (with way less physical labor). Corporate's argument was always that Doodle Bugs pays more than other daycares. That may be so; however, still did not pay the bills. The amount of work I was doing, my education, experience, and commitment to the company never felt like it was paying off.

- The culture was super negative. I would say about 99% of my coworkers had an education background (mine is in psychology) and were extremely bitter that they never landed an actual teaching job. They were very jaded and miserable. The cattiness escalated to a point that I dreaded going in every day.

- I felt very little support from upper management. It was super discouraging that my only interactions with corporate were them nit-picking my classroom or pointing out things I was doing wrong. To put this in perspective, I was often left alone with four infants (ranging in age from 6 weeks to 18 months) for a 9.5 hour shift. While providing care for the babies, I also had to complete assessments, bulletin boards, etc. It was virtually impossible to get everything done, but I worked hard and did my best. It never felt like enough. Corporate would waltz in and make comments, never saying thank you or anything encouraging.

Advice to Management

I think a more positive attitude and a genuine appreciation for how hard your employees are working would be a good change. It would trickle down and help the entire center to be less frustrated. Stop being so obsessed with minor details. The kids aren't going to remember which color the bulletin board letters were, they are going to remember their teacher spending time with them and actually TEACHING them.

4. "Great place for children to learn!"

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time

Pros

The education experience for children is amazing. The parents and kids show you so much love it makes it worth it! The facilities are beautiful and the toys/learning materials are everything you would want them to be. The owners are wonderful and it's a family atmosphere most of the time.

Cons

Mostly females employed makes it seem like high school. It gets cliquey and there are clear favorites to management. It is not enough money to live on unless you are young and living at home with no major payments in your life.

Advice to Management

Every time you raise tuition there should be a raise for staff. If staff felt comfortable and heard when asking for a raise it would be better.

"Choose Your Center Wisely!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarence, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarence, NY

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The children and co-workers were the only reason I worked there, once all my co-workers left, there was really no reason to stay.

Cons

I can only talk about the Clarence Center, as it was the one I worked at. The Director was without a doubt, the most arrogant, disrespecful, incompetent "boss" I have ever met. It was obvious when she first started that none of the current staff would be able to stay working there. We were forced to leave due to the constant ridicule, embarrassment, and unreasonable working conitions. The children in our classes were switched to other rooms daily, which is sometimes understandable in child care, but tiny infants were taken outof their regular caregivers care, and put with virtual strangers all the time. These infants cried inconsolably, and management did not care, it is all about money, and payroll.
    The Clarence DoodleBugs was truly a sad place to work, it was all rainbows and sunshine when parents and upper management were in the building, but any other time, it was really unhappy Teachers, and sad, confused children, who only wanted to be with their friends every day. I feel as though a great weight has been lifted from me as I left this terrible place of employment. There are other, much more professional, loving, caring, and supportive child care centers in wny.....find one.

Advice to Management

Since you do not want to listen to your employees, here's some advice..... PROVIDE TRAINING to your new management staff, teach them how to speak to employees without being insulting, belittling, and diminishing their contributions to the company. Teach them to not play favorites among the staff, to speak respectfully to everyone, not in a cartoonish, condescending way, but as adults talk to other adults. Teach them humiity, not arragance, it's a Director of a child care center position, not ruler of the world.

6. "Amazing Coworkers, Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Lancaster, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Lancaster, NY

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with and the children I get to see everyday. I genuinely feel like I am part of a community.

Cons

The management is terrible and they completely disregard employee concerns. The company policy doesn't allow for any discipline (i.e. taking away toys) and the children are being taught that there are no consequences to their actions. The pay does not make up for the terrible conditions.

Advice to Management

When an employee has a concern about abnormal behaviors and requests an evaluation, it should not be just brushed off. Furthermore, management should understand that employees are not slaves. Pay needs to increase for everyone.

"Lead Teacher"

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The family and kids are awesome and are the only reason working at Doodlebugs is worth it.

Cons

Corporate only cares about money. They won't close their centers even during snowstorms! Even when every other daycare and school district is closed. CEO and management don't care about their employees or their safety, unfortunately. Teachers are overworked and underpaid. Hard to get days off, and don't even think about calling in sick. Even if you are throwing up! Nope, you're coming in!

Advice to Management

Directors try their best but it's corporate that's completely money hungry. Listen to your directors and other employees. They're the ones at the centers every day working hard with teachers, kids and families. Not Anthony Insinna.

"It's an okay place to work"

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers part-time

Pros

The kids are cute and sometimes there are snacks in the break room.

Cons

The pay is awful and they don't care about their employee's health.

9. "Room to Grow but Little Support"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Rochester, NY

Pros

Monthly trainings, company-wide conferences, like to hire from within, discounts on childcare (but only for full-time employees), great kids, provided themes for lessons, common core competencies

Cons

Directors push their beliefs upon employees (even if it is not the best practice for childcare), nearly unlivable wages, benefits aren't great, are looking for more followers than leaders

Advice to Management

Allow people to grow, need more checks and balances with directors, make sure your employees are happy because the only people suffering if they aren't are the families

Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers Response

Dec 2, 2016 – Recruitment Specialist

We are regretful of your unsatisfactory experience with Doodle Bugs Children’s Learning Academy. With over 550 employees, we make every effort to gather information as to how we may improve as an... More

"A great work atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time

Pros

It's great to work at Doodlebugs because they really appreciate their employees and it shows. Last year we had a Best Day Ever which was a day fully devoted to pampering and treating the centers teachers. Doodlebugs also offers first class training opportunities for employees at no cost! Doodlebugs is very flexible to accommodate changing school schedules for part time employees as well!

Cons

It takes a lot of people to effectively run a Doodlebugs center, so their may be days employees are asked to come in early or stay late to accommodate the centers needs. Employees need to be flexible and willing to work with all age ranges.