Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Anthony Insinna

Pros
  • I met some great kids and some great parents (in 3 reviews)

• Doodlebugs is very flexible to accommodate changing school schedules for part time employees as well (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to call to get a bathroom break and you're considered lucky if that break comes within 2 hours of the call (in 8 reviews)

• I wish I earned more money, but Doodlebugs appears to pay more than other daycare centers (in 10 reviews)

"A great work atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time

Pros

It's great to work at Doodlebugs because they really appreciate their employees and it shows. Last year we had a Best Day Ever which was a day fully devoted to pampering and treating the centers teachers. Doodlebugs also offers first class training opportunities for employees at no cost! Doodlebugs is very flexible to accommodate changing school schedules for part time employees as well!

Cons

It takes a lot of people to effectively run a Doodlebugs center, so their may be days employees are asked to come in early or stay late to accommodate the centers needs. Employees need to be flexible and willing to work with all age ranges.

2. "It's an okay place to work"

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers part-time

Pros

The kids are cute and sometimes there are snacks in the break room.

Cons

The pay is awful and they don't care about their employee's health.

3. "Room to Grow but Little Support"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Rochester, NY

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly trainings, company-wide conferences, like to hire from within, discounts on childcare (but only for full-time employees), great kids, provided themes for lessons, common core competencies

Cons

Directors push their beliefs upon employees (even if it is not the best practice for childcare), nearly unlivable wages, benefits aren't great, are looking for more followers than leaders

Advice to Management

Allow people to grow, need more checks and balances with directors, make sure your employees are happy because the only people suffering if they aren't are the families

Dec 2, 2016 – Recruitment Specialist

We are regretful of your unsatisfactory experience with Doodle Bugs Children’s Learning Academy. With over 550 employees, we make every effort to gather information as to how we may improve as an ... More

5. "Do NOT apply here!"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Amherst, NY

Pros

The curriculum is already set for the teachers. There is a decent schedule to help the children. The building and play area is creative and fun for the children.

Cons

This is the worst place I have ever worked. I will highlight some of the worst aspects of working here. 1) The management staff are more childish than the toddlers that are enrolled at the center. The gossip about other employees and the families at the center is disturbing. Every teacher at the center is viewed as disposable and there is zero thought into the amount of effort the teachers put into their classrooms and children. 2) The is no accountability for sick children. Although there are corporate policies for children with illnesses, they are never turned away. I had children with fevers, vomiting and other illnesses whose parents never received a phone call to pick up their child. These children were allowed to return to the center the next day causing center-wide illnesses. Furthermore, they are perpetually short staffed so teachers are shamed if they take a sick day. 3) There are no raises, no rewards, or any sort of recognition for the amount of effort the teachers put in each and every day. They have a website where you can "review" other employees to "earn points" and receive gift cards after a certain amount of points. This caused teachers to continuously write "reviews" about specific employees, leaving others unrecognized.
    Overall, 0/10 would not recommend this company. I would never recommend it for a friend to work at and I absolutely would never recommend a friend or family member send their children here. STEER CLEAR!

Advice to Management

Talk to your teachers. Do not rely on your management staff to give you a clear picture of what is actually happening at your centers. Low employee retention should be a red flag for you!

Oct 18, 2016 – Recruitment Specialist

We are greatly disappointed to hear of your negative employment experience with Doodle Bugs. We apologize for not appropriately advertising our multiple additional earning opportunities and PTO ... More

"I love my job"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel supported by my director and colleagues. The center is clean, the curriculum is excellent, and I have the supplies I need.

Cons

The pay isn't great but doodle bugs pays more than other centers.

Advice to Management

I see that more training is being offered so that is a great thing. Of course higher pay would be appreciated.

7. "Teachers vs. Administration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greece, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greece, NY

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Full Curriculum Provided for all age levels that were diversified and interesting. If followed properly a classroom (even infants) can be completely engaged. The activities provided are developmentally sound.
    Most supplies are provided for curriculum by Doodlebugs!
    Teacher staff and assistant teacher staff cares about the children and does their best to provide quality childcare as well as an enriching learning environment.

Cons

Administration cares about their bottom line. They are rude to their staff and have obvious favorites. Training was minimal and infractions were given freely without warning (until it was pointed out that warnings are required). Breaks were given outside of legal times, often times requiring staff to break minutes after arrival and expecting them to work for 9-10 hours afterwards without so much as offering a bathroom break.
    Administration lies to staff and they do not seem to have a full handle on the regulations they are to follow. For example when central office was called and questioned about cloth diapering children ,their response was that it was not allowed by NYS regulation-which is false. They were made aware and then tried to say it was because there are no toilets in infant rooms to flush poop, again they are unaware that regulations states that poop is not to be flushed or sprayed, it is to be put in a bag and set aside (much like clothes that get poop on them,yet they do not seem to have a problem with that). Standards are ever changing, something that is allowed one month is not allowed the next and vice versa.
    Teacher turnover was high
    Food orders were often purposely under-filled to save money. They asked kitchen staff to fill things like mac and cheese with plain noodles to extend the package. Babies ate bananas multiple times a day (which causes constipation), sometimes those bananas were dark green and rock solid. When requesting more food there were times when teachers were told that there was none and to give the children cheerios. During summers older children's food options were often limited to sandwiches-frequently either a peanut butter and jelly or just jelly (which is not at all nutritious). There is no butter even though it is listed on the menu, meaning grilled cheese sandwiches were often rock hard and pasta was sticky and plain.
    Often times administration was given forewarning for inspections meaning that they had time to make their facility look well managed and fully stocked when that was rarely the case.
    Rooms at times were left out of ratio if a staff member was late with no help from administration. If administration came into a room it was to look for problems to write a teacher up for. Rarely was there any positive feedback.
    If you complain you are let go, or complaints are turned around onto the complainer as if it is his/her fault that there is an issue.
    Administration lies to parents about regulations to make explanation easier.
    Also they give incentives for positive reviews on google, such as opportunities for free tuition, if a parent leaves a negative review it is glazed over as untrue/ the parent is discredited by name in front of staff as a part of meetings for not knowing what they are talking about.
    Staff is frequently humiliated at meetings with camera evidence passed around for all to see how they have done wrong. Rarely is this balanced with positives.

Advice to Management

Get your franchisers under control. Train them better, be more selective about who is running a childcare facility under your name. Not every person should be allowed to ruin what is known as a high quality education center. It is absolutely ridiculous that this corporation is willing to sell their name to anyone and let them run their building any way they choose without being able to reign them in. Doodlebugs has an amazing reputation for being a quality childcare location, yet I have seen many parents and employers telling future parents and employers to not go to one location specifically and that location is owned by a franchiser. If questions arise the owners directly tell the employers that they are not controlled by the head office and employees are left to deal with the owner who will do anything to protect their bottom line.

"Awful corporation"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I enjoyed working with most of the employees.

Cons

Bad corporate management. (HR department)
    Some people from corporate were very rude to certain employees.
    Did not pay based on education.
    Poor communication.

Advice to Management

Doodle bugs HR processed my tax sheet wrong. Therefore I owed at the end of the year!
    Very first time an employer does that to me.
    Very frustrating and disappointing since I could not report them somewhere.

Apr 5, 2016 – CEO

It is disappointing to hear of your poor experience with Doodle Bugs!. In an effort to identify opportunities to further better our company, I invite you to please contact me by calling ... More

"A wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Assistant in Webster, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in Webster, NY

Pros

Doodle Bugs! is a wonderful place to work. The training experience to prepare for the job was great, and the administration and staff members are all very positive, helpful and wonderful individuals. The families are very friendly as well. I enjoy coming to a job with a positive work environment every day!

Cons

I do not have any.

"DB"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Coworkers are amazing, kids are great and so are the families. Made some connections that will last a lifetime. Get to play outside and enjoy the weather with the kids.

Cons

Very underpaid, staff is treated pretty poorly majority of the time, bathroom breaks were hard to come by and if you called the front to ask for one, it was frowned upon seeing as you were interfering with whatever they were doing. A lot of gossip takes place even with management. It is very evident that this company solely cares about making a profit rather than keeping employees happy. The schedule comes out so late in the week that you would never be able to make plans seeing as you do not know when you work. Calling in sick was not a real thing, aka not allowed. Some of my co-workers have called in and were told no they had to come to work.. staff would come in with all types of sickness due to this. Management treated staff unfair, there were clearly favorites and it was very obvious. Over my 2 1/2 years employed, I was NEVER given the opportunity to take CPR even though I repeatedly asked. I spend nearly 1/2 a year doing the job of a lead teacher while only getting paid as an assistant because management would not hire a lead. The list goes on and on.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees so terribly, do things fairly and maybe start having meetings on showing respect to employees.

Apr 5, 2016 – CEO

We are gravely disappointed and regretful of the experience you had that would cause a poor review of your Doodle Bugs! employment. We strive to provide our employees with higher pay and better ... More

"great for a part time job not a full time"

I worked at Doodle Bugs! Children's Learning Centers full-time

Pros

working with kid, fun, outside time, lose dress code, fun work environment, great team, lots of training, monthly meetings to help and explain new things.

Cons

low pay, asked to do a lot of work, short breaks, was told that you get bathroom breaks when need be but they rarely had someone come when called, ten hour days with the short break.