DoorDash Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2018

4.1
Tony Xu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with Doordash is great, it provides you with a flexible schedule, work whenever you want" (in 71 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, work on your own time" (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • "Gas plus wear and tear which comes out to at least 50cents a mile" (in 45 reviews)

• "After factoring in expenses, this is a minimum wage job" (in 47 reviews)

"Very Dynamic and Open Culture"

I have been working at DoorDash full-time

Pros

The company has a very dynamic and open culture. What is more important DoorDash cares to maintain this culture and works hard to hire the right people with the right attitude. People are willing to both listen and to share knowledge and ideas. The compensation is fair. Also, a lot of efforts is being made to create an inclusive and diverse environment. Finally, there is a lot of smart and talented people here at the company.

Cons

This is a very young company "age-wise", so you might run into situations when meetings are scheduled late at night, which parents with kids wouldn't do. However, even that is manageable because of the Pros described above.

2. "software engineer"

I have been working at DoorDash full-time

Pros

most people here are friendly? wlb is pretty good, which makes Doordash doe not look like a startup to me

Cons

ownership is not clear;
    TBD

Advice to Management

RAISE THE HIRING BAR and hire more strong people, otherwise doordash will be closed soon. We already have so many tech debts.

"Engineering after 6 months: still great overall, negative reviews are mostly false"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some recent negative reviews here which I feel completely misrepresent the engineering org. Here's the truth: Is there tech debt? Yes, a medium amount. I've also been in this industry for 10 years and I've seen truly bad tech debt where you have giant codebases with absolutely 0 tests/monitoring. That is not the case here by any means. Do not pay attention to people saying our code is "terrible" -- every codebase has terrible modules, but overall it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Truly smart people work in the engineering org. Everyone on my team is great - seriously not a single slacker or incompetent team member. Even outside of my team, I interviewed with the guy who built the first version of DynamoDB (he now works at DoorDash!). We're working on really interesting problems involving distributed systems, machine learning, NLP, etc. You will learn and grow as an engineer if you work here and put in the effort to get to know some of the team, period.

Management is very respectful and has given me plenty of opportunities to work on high profile projects, grow as an engineer, etc. I don't know why people complain about a lack of mentorship; I suspect those people just want someone to hold their hand and don't understand how to put in the work themselves. If you're a self-starter, you'll have no problem here. I mean that, it really couldn't be easier to grow and move up the ranks: the first meeting I ever had with my manager involved them sitting down with me, going in depth regarding my career goals, explaining exactly how to "level up" and what is expected of each level, plus what I should work on personally to get to the goals I was interested in. I've never had a company be that upfront about my performance and really try to understand my career goals - and this happens on a regular basis. This is great.

Cons

Again, medium amount of tech debt. We're currently dedicating serious resources to fixing debt and improving system stability, so I'm happy with the way the management team is taking this, but we still have a ways to go here. I'm confident we'll fix the most glaring issues given a bit more time.

CTO is pretty green all things considered. There's an active search for a VPE to fill in the gaps and the pipeline is full of candidates, so I suspect this will improve very soon.

If you're not used to working at a startup, you will struggle here. Everyone is juggling multiple responsibilities and moving quickly; we have competition and we have to beat the competition to win the space. It's a good problem to have, but also leads to some stressful situations on occasion -- nothing out of the ordinary for a high growth company, but something to keep in mind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Work on hiring a VPE who will help hasten the technical maturity we need to achieve as an organization.

"Doordash has no ethics"

Former Employee - Dasher Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Dasher Support in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunch delivered to your desk,

Cons

Slave drivers, lying is the company's culture, no morals, they will lie and pretend to care about you while they are really just planning on firing you. They only hire young people and do not have ethnically diverse workforce. They are a male dominated company. If you are not in your 20's don't plan to go any place with this employer. They don't have a set of standards for anything they do they just make everything up as they go along. They lie to you, and promote lying as a day to day
     business practice. This is the most immoral company and they train their managers into act in this manner

Advice to Management

They will allow you to sign up for career mapping even though they have no intention of allowing you achieve this.

5. "Great Job"

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, work culture and people.

Cons

Still a startup with a lot of issues to work out.

"Account Executive"

I have been working at DoorDash full-time

Pros

Free lunch so you can work longer and never leave the building.

Cons

The usual high school environment with their immature cliques This is an entry-level sales position to cold call leads of a phonebook, google their marketing is weak.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and Treat everybody equally also quit being abusive towards your employees that are not part of your clique or race.

7. "Great company filled with passionate and driven people!"

I have been working at DoorDash full-time

Pros

fast growing company, opportunity to take on many projects, sense of ownership, interesting work

Cons

start-up "growing up" pains as the company grows

8. "Startup Feel w/ a Big Name"

Current Employee - Tech Sourcer
    Current Employee - Tech Sourcer

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Large Impact
    -Great People
    -Very Open/Available Management
    -Free Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
    -Great Location
    -Fun

Cons

You will have to work hard as everyone's role is very important

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"DoorDash is in GlassDoor's Top 15 coolest start ups to work for."

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked a a hand full of tech start ups and larger orgs and can say without a doubt DoorDash is the best company I have ever been employed by. From compensation, to culture, to benefits. DoorDash goes all out on setting you up for success and pushing you to become your best professional self. Your hard work is noticed, applauded and rewarded. This is not the type of company where you will get stuck on the corporate ladder. If you are sharp; put in the effort and stand out among your peers you will be pushed forward into higher positions with more than competitive compensation. It sounds like I might be over hyping how incredible it can be to work at DoorDash but the happiness and stability I have found here needs to be shared.

Cons

This is a FAST paced environment and if you aren't prepared to work at a company that has gone from a 1 billion dollar valuation to a 4 billion dollar valuation in less than 6 months than you could find yourself a bit overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

"Not worth it!!"

I have been working at DoorDash full-time

Pros

Benefits (medical)
    Free Lunch
    Flexible schedule

Cons

No Manager or supervisor in office
    Company doesn't care to change things for the drivers which leaves them to come into the office and complain all day
    No 401K
    Can't go an hour over PTO (Ridiculous)
    Unethical company
    Support has no idea what they are doing

Advice to Management

Make choices that are better for the employees and just not yourself. You can tell that top management only cares about themselves because they are not willing to make adjustments or changes to keep their employees or dashers happy.