DoorDash Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Tony Xu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Gas plus wear and tear which comes out to at least 50cents a mile" (in 40 reviews)

• "you are making minimum wage basically" (in 38 reviews)

1. "Denver Dasher"

Current Employee - Dasher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Dasher in Denver, CO

I have been working at DoorDash part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

scheduling is VERY flexible. Can sign out/pause or cancel shift at last minute if needed. I have 6 disabilities and chronic illnesses, so flexibility is VERY important. I average between $22-$28/hr. App is very user friendly and is updated constantly, which can cause issues from time to time, but not often. It seems like they actually listen to dasher complaints and feedback and implement changes based on dasher experiences and recommendations, which is almost unheard of. Dasher support is very attentive and AMAZING!

Cons

there are some app issues I would tweak a bit, but overall, no complaints

Advice to Management

I only work when bonuses justify doing so, otherwise, the average is only $13-$16/hr. The pay scale could use some tweaking

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at DoorDash full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, incredibly smart people

Cons

Transparency and communication from the top down

"Hey, Come Work For DoorDash!"

Current Employee - Dasher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Dasher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get tips, you get to learn your way around town, you might end up going into a few restaurants you’ve never been in before, and you can make your own hours.

Cons

You might have to drive in unsafe weather conditions, some people don’t tip, and you may end up driving long distances for orders.

Advice to Management

Start an incentives program - every 50 or so deliveries, send a DoorDash hat, t-shirt, etc. Gift cards would also be a nice addition.

4. "Thoughts about Engineering after a month: overall great place to work, some growing pains"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoorDash (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, easy to work with, down-to-earth coworkers. Another review claimed that people were disrespectful/had high egos - that's not true at all in my experience. Really want to stress how nice everyone in Engineering is and to not take that other review seriously.

Impressed with the CEO - seems to be a down-to-earth, genuine guy and easy to talk to. He also made some solid executive-level hires recently

Exciting business/growth prospects - DoorDash just closed a $500MM series D round and is getting into several new industries. You can really feel the positive energy at the office

Nice monitoring/logging/deployment setup - I deployed code to production in my first week with little to no effort.

Good engineering culture - company-wide hack weeks once per quarter, testing is taken seriously, well-structured code is taken seriously, there are code reviews enforced by GitHub policies, etc.

Base pay, bonuses, equity are all on-point. Free lunch and dinner every day.

Cons

Medium amount of tech debt / weirdly structured code in certain projects. I get the feeling that DoorDash used to have a "sprint all the time" culture which led to some strange looking / suboptimal code being produced in the past. Though this does need to continue to be addressed, I will say that the tech debt is overall not terrible and is mitigated at least partially by the test suite and monitoring setup mentioned above.

DevOps tools could be better - existing tools are very useful but buggy at times. To improve this, I feel that each feature team should just maintain their own deployment pipeline/tools with some guidance from security/IT.

Lots of documentation, but no centralized location for all of it currently. Some docs are also out of date. I expect this con to be resolved relatively soon as docs are actively being moved to a centralized wiki.

No 401(k) match - I've heard that this is going to be offered soon, but I'll list it as a con for now

Advice to Management

Overall, you're doing great. Keep up the good work and address the cons above

5. "Broken Promises"

Current Employee - Dasher
    Current Employee - Dasher

I have been working at DoorDash part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule makes it easy to do as a side job.

Cons

They constantly try to send you to areas outside of your starting zone without any extra pay. I took a delivery that was 20 miles outside of my zone for only $7.50. When I've refused to take more orders like this, my acceptance rating has gone down.

You're given a hot bag for food orders, but now they have you picking up from large grocery stores. This app was advertised and set up for food delivery, but now they have drivers lugging 60+ lbs of groceries from their car. Of course, if you refuse, your rating goes down. Good luck if you're older or have chronic pain.

There is absolutely no transparency about ratings or pay. The numbers seem to just fluctuate randomly. From what I've read, the customer ratings seem to come from a vague question about how their order was, and the customer likely doesn't know that the rating is reflected on the driver. And there is no way in the app to see what each customer is rating, commenting, or tipping. So there's no feedback on why your rating is going down, and you have to blindly trust that DoorDash is actually giving you the full tip from the customer (it's rumored that they're stealing tips, by the way).

DoorDash in my area promises you can make up to $23/hr. I've never seen more than $15.

Advice to Management

Have more respect for your drivers, keep your promises, be more transparent.

6. "Dasher"

Current Employee - Dasher in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Dasher in Loveland, CO

I have been working at DoorDash part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work when you want.
    Weekly pay and ability to cash out same day if needed.
    Easy work mostly.
    Pay can be good but you have to be careful what you accept or you can end up making $5 an hour.

Cons

No promotion opertunities so it’s not a good gig long term.
    No benefits or perks
    Pay your own expenses
    Sometimes orders are late before you even accept them.
    You have to make sure you track your expenses very closely because you will be surprised how little you maybe actually making per hour.

Walmart deliveries are substantially more time and work envolved for the same and most times less pay. They are also a bigger risk for missing or damaging items. Drivers don’t have the info of items only a total number which is impossable to count. If we did it would be way to much time checking every bag compared to the item. It’s too hot for that also.

Many of the drop off locations are out of town and out of the delivery zone. You can’t take a new order until you get back into your zone.

It’s hard to make minimum wage sometimes after expenses and it seems there are some shady things the app does to hurt you even more like when the app offers a bonus per delivery let’s say +3.50 with a stipulation that you have to accept a certain percentage of deliveries. You do a few deliveries then it seems to send orders in other delivery regions that are 20+Miles away, one way. It will send several of these in a row and when I decline I don’t get the pay bonus because it hurts my acceptance rate. If I accept then I will be working for $3-$5 an hour and in another town.

Advice to Management

Offer a bonus and promotion structure for better driver commitment.

I should not be penalized with a lower acceptance rate and less pay if I do not accept unreasonable deliveries that would cause me to make less then minimum wage and cause financial hardship. I can see a future class action.

Tony Xu is doing great and I don’t think is aware of a lot of the issues. He should consider hiring people like me for upper management to help make the company as increadable as it could be.

7. "It was a experience I like it a lot"

Pros

I really can't say much

Cons

It is what it is

Advice to Management

None

"No orderd"

Current Employee - Dasher in Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Dasher in Jacksonville Beach, FL

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work when you where you want and when you want

Cons

sit for hours no orders, only new drivers get orders because they have a perfect rating, senior drivers have lower rating because the restaurant late and customer gives driver low rating

Advice to Management

get better support and a better app

"Doordash is full of inexperienced leaders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-opportunity to work on smaller teams
    -food delivery is complex, you will get exposed to diverse number of problems and projects

Cons

-no bar of quality for c-level positions
    -all c-levels are in cahoots with each other and have created an unethical culture
    -ceo is arrogant and can't help complimenting himself in every meeting
    -c-levels haven't had a full time gig before door dash ... all of their experience rooted in internships... they have no clue how to manage large teams
    -the HR department is highly unethical and slides issues under the rug
    -people around you are smart but very aggressive...all c-levels reward aggressive behavior, late night work and putting doordash before you
    -the food delivery business is riddled with competitors; don't join this wartime company unless you are desiring a poor work/life balance
    -be wary of the positive reviews on Glassdoor as they are doctored by recruiting team, or by c-levels
    -high attrition; everyone on the product and engineering team is leaving because our backend systems are riddled with poorly written code blocks and the executive team does not want to spend time fixing broken things, rather, they want to continue building new services fast and on bad foundation. it makes product and engineers jobs difficult
    -zero career ladders at doordash; if anything, your scope increases and responsibilities increase without an increase in pay, title or respect

Advice to Management

-be introspective and realize you may not be the right leader for the job
    -realize your tech debt is too high and is stifling innovation

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DoorDash full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and cool co-workers.

Cons

They keep changing the Comp plan drastically. They try and spin it as if it’s in the best interest of the employees and company but in reality it’s only good for the company. Went from $3-4K a month commission to $2400ish and now we’ll be lucky to clear OTE ($1250). They don’t match 401k even though they just received $535 billion in funding and say they can’t unless they take away free food. We receive 10 days PTO a year and 3 sick days while everyone else in the company has unlimited PTO. PTO at DD is a joke.

Management is super young and just happened to have started years ago. They aren’t the most qualified and some have never had a job before but this one. Battle of the favorites here.

Advice to Management

Pick real leaders who are qualified. Don’t play favorites. Give your employees more PTO and match our 401k. Stop paying thousands of dollars for unnecessary conferences when that could go towards matching 401k. Stop changing the Comp plan and then spin it. We can see right through you. Everyone feels this way but they may not say something. The PTO is a joke.