Dorel Juvenile Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 6, 2019

Found 76 reviews

Dorel Juvenile CEO Nicolas Duran
Nicolas Duran
Pros
  • "I find that Dorel understands the Work Life Balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Summer hours and monthly bagel Fridays are nice perks also(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "No one seems to be aligned and it trickles down to the rest of us(in 5 reviews)

• "Upper management is disconnected from the people who do the actual work(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foxborough, MA

I worked at Dorel Juvenile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Engaged people Product that really makes a difference in people's lives Growth opportunities are limitless for people who can take initiative and drive change. great work/life balance

Cons

Some people like to talk about change more than drive it People can be a bit gossipy

Dorel Juvenile2019-05-08

"Company is getting a little better"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Foxboro, MA

I have been working at Dorel Juvenile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility that allows a balance between personal and business

Cons

lack of written procedures is a big problem

Advice to Management

Institutional knowledge is only good until that person leaves

Dorel Juvenile2019-02-12
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Poor Health Benefits"

I have been working at Dorel Juvenile full-time

Pros

Columbus site is centrally located.

Cons

Health clinic, common among most large manufacturers, was closed last year, combined with an increase in employee out of pocket expenses.

Advice to Management

Be a leader in health benefits since they affect those of us who literally care for precious life.

Dorel Juvenile2018-09-14

"Aiming to become an innovative company, but lacking leadership and modern technology/processes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foxboro, MA

I have been working at Dorel Juvenile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance - This is an easy 9-5 job for most people. However, there are some people who have too much on their plate. Salary - Pay is decent. Summer hours - In the summer, we get to leave at 2 on Fridays.

Cons

People - most of the people here are friendly, but I have seen on several occasions a level of disrespect towards people in this office that I haven't seen before. People talk down to each other, talk about each other in meetings and yell at each other. The level of rudeness here is appalling but seems to be accepted. Communication - Non existent. Everyone works in silos. Outdated systems - They've... invested in too many systems that don't work properly and don't communicate with each other. They need to invest in just a few tools that do the job. Everyone has dealt with this by creating their own tools via excel spreadsheets, leading to confusion when everyone begins working off of various spreadsheets. Leadership - non existent. The CEO does not make his presence known or felt and he seems to let his team run wild. No one seems to be aligned and it trickles down to the rest of us. Benefits - Health benefits are awful. For a company making child products, they don't have a good maternity policy. Disorganization - Everything listed above leads to the most chaotic mess of an organization that I have ever worked for. HR - They don't seem to be invested in improving the culture or morale of this place. It is unfortunate because there is so much room for improvement and all it takes are a few minor changes. I know that people have made suggestions, which for one reason or another, HR have chosen to ignore them. On the plus side, you can do very little here and get away with it! I'm sure many do, but there are many hard workers here as well.

Advice to Management

CTO - Please invest in new technology systems that will make everyone's life at work a little easier. CEO - Please start holding your team accountable. CMO - Please take an interest in what all of the businesses and brands are doing. HR - please take the advice of what other employees are saying.

Dorel Juvenile2018-05-08

May 11, 2018

I’m always sorry to see a ‘doesn’t recommend’ from a current employee, but I appreciate you taking the time to communicate! I think your concerns all deserve a thoughtful response, but there a quite a few items in the ‘Cons’ section. I’ll speak to some of them here. But, I’d also be thrilled if my comments open the possibility for a dialog. Happiness is the great accelerator, and you’re not there right now. I’d love work with you and see how we can improve. First, rudeness and disrespect have no place at Dorel (or anywhere else, in my opinion). As part of the leadership team I may see less of this behavior, but I refuse to accept it as an element of our workplace or culture. I am always available to provide support (and I mean immediate, on-the-spot support) to a team member in any such situation. Whether in the moment or in general, I’ll work with you, HR and our managers to make necessary improvements. I expect no less from our leaders. On the subject of leadership, I’m sorry to see your assessment. I think our executive team has shown strong alignment and made great strides in addressing the challenges faced by our company. We’re navigating the rapidly shifting retail landscape while introducing great new products and taking share in strategic areas. I think it’s a success story so far, but it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Meeting those challenges force us to pick and choose carefully where we invest; that means some of our system and tech priorities move more slowly than we’d like. That said, I’m happy to review our technology roadmap and priorities with you (or anyone within Dorel - it’s completely transparent). We can look at what we’re improving, and see how it aligns with your concerns. I think we will continue to accelerate positive changes, but I also don’t think tools and systems are the root cause of your negative outlook for Dorel Juvenile. If you feel a lack of accountability or leadership presence is affecting your success or morale, and if the positive changes we’re making aren’t reaching you, we can do better. For now, I’ll commit to follow up on your concerns with some team members as well as our management team. If you’d like to engage with me and help make your feedback more actionable, I’d welcome it! Todd Tetreault CIO

"Poorly Managed Company"

Former Employee - Manager in Foxborough, MA

I worked at Dorel Juvenile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is easy work there. Lot of people do not even work but look like working.

Cons

Very poorly managed company that rewards being a yes man more than hard work and talent. Many managers are not qualified to lead teams and like more yes sir boys then who actually work smart and have strong views and can create value. Best place if you want to be a sycophant!

Advice to Management

Hire managers who are qualified not other way around. They will soon run down the business as this business is moving towards commodity model.

Dorel Juvenile2018-04-18

"Much Potential, Much More Issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foxborough, MA

I worked at Dorel Juvenile full-time

Pros

Decent pay, benefits, immediate co-workers.

Cons

Extremely poor management, use of resources, organization, prioritization.

Advice to Management

Could be a great place if there was better (any) structure. Clean house and start new. From the top of Operations to HR and department management. There clearly isn’t proper vetting of upper management candidates. It shows.

Dorel Juvenile2018-03-19

"If you want to slide by without accomplishing anything this is your place to be"

Current Employee - Director in Foxborough, MA

I have been working at Dorel Juvenile full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a few individuals who were great to work with and able to teach new skills. But you had to search for them and beg for their help. If you are just looking to collect a pay check and get by, this is the perfect company, the management is unlikely to notice if you are their or not!

Cons

Most of the employees are seen as lazy and incompetent. However that's due to poor management and training when you first arrive at Dorel. No one proactively completes tasks and a great majority of them constantly points fingers. "not my job!" Managers at Dorel love when you take action to solve problems, but without guidance the actions being taken are worthless.

Advice to Management

Stop favoring poor performers Stop actively firing female workers Change the culture from top down and stop hiring new managers and trying to make them do your work for you

Dorel Juvenile2018-02-08

February 9, 2018Vice President of Human Resources

Like at many companies, I, and the rest of the management team, recognize that we have some individuals who do not actively support the team-oriented and personal accountability culture that we are trying to foster and we are working to address this through training and stronger management practices. However, the majority of our employees are VERY committed to their jobs and to our greater mission of protecting children's lives.

"Boring Place to Work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Foxborough, MA

I worked at Dorel Juvenile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Certain individuals were great to work with and able to teach new skills. If your the type of person who is just looking to collect a pay check and get by, this is the perfect company.

Cons

Most of the employees are lazy and incompetent. Many work on other projects while at work. No one seems to take initiative to complete tasks and constantly points fingers. Some of the younger employees don't take enough responsibility. The Quality department is (not all, 1/4 of them) full of "Engineers" who do not understand even basic engineer principles. People at Dorel love when you take action to solve problems,... but hate when they have to be apart of the solution and actually work.

Advice to Management

-Release 1/2 of the workers -Change location closer to Boston or Providence -Hire determined people, whom are strong enough to brut force there way into helping others change a company culture. -Stop hiring people who need a new job as they were fired from there last.

Dorel Juvenile2017-11-14

"Lack of structure and direction"

I worked at Dorel Juvenile full-time

Pros

One pro: good work-life balance.

Cons

In a self-proclaimed environment of "disorganized chaos", with a lack of direction by management, mass chaos is the norm. In a culture that should change with the times, this disfunction is accepted. Depending on your area of expertise, there is either micro-management, or a lack of management. Neither is healthy. Another huge "miss" is professional development, with little or no vision toward advancement of... employees within the corporation. Communication is very poor, as is a respect for any sort of process.

Advice to Management

Give your team room to grow and prove themselves. Micro-managing or Non-managing does little for productivity and growth of a team and the products you create. A manager should also have knowledge of the area they are managing. Be an expert at one thing before you take on the "next-new-thing". Overwhelming employee turnover should be taken as a sign of poor conditions and a need for change.

Dorel Juvenile2017-10-30

"Salary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Dorel Juvenile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get two weeks vacation after your 6 months, and usually a car seat if you have small children.

Cons

A BUNCH! They fired a manager saying that his "job was being eliminated" but then brought in another supervisor from the plant to do the same job with the same job title. The insurance SUCKS! For my family of 3 we have a 5500 deductible and they wont pay a dime of medicine until that 5500 it met. Managers do not care to help out their employees and demand the holidays to be worked with no help from them. Favoritism... is EVERYWHERE! The pay also is awful.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, you are losing good employees left and right due to your own actions. Everything in the world is getting more expensive, but the pay here is staying the same and low. You need a new insurance package! The one you have is terrible, since the clinic is gone salary gets screwed. Insurance is the main reason I personally am leaving the company.

Dorel Juvenile2017-10-09

October 10, 2017Vice President of Human Resources

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our health insurance plan. We do detailed analysis annually to ensure that our benefits package is competitive. According to industry surveys, our plan on average costs our employees LESS than similar coverage at other companies. In fact, approximately 80% of our employees never reach the deductible and actually obtain a savings over what they would pay for similar coverage elsewhere. I will work with my team to discuss ways that we can better educate our employees about this important part of the benefit plan. -denise chittick

Found 76 reviews