Dorsey Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Admission Rep"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at Dorsey Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I must say it was very fun at times working at Dorsey. The opportunity to help people seemed very rewarding. Pay was ok, benefits were good. They reward and recognize your success and achievements.

Cons

I worked at the Roseville Campus which is the most aggressive campus in terms of having to meet enrollment goals. This is the only campus where you have to meet or exceed goal and is very rigorous. If I had worked at any other campus I would have survived easily. I never got the feeling of job security coming in the door. To be fair senior management did warn me regarding expectations. It got to the point where I felt like a product pusher to keep up with demands. Overall I had a good experience with Dorsey it just wasn't for me.

Advice to Management

Remember it's about the student, and I think Dosey looses sight of that sometimes because of the high demand to hit budget.

2. "Financial Aid Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Taylor, MI

I have been working at Dorsey Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are excellent to work with

Cons

Sometime the hours are not what I expected.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Dorsey"

I worked at Dorsey Schools full-time

Pros

Hours are great seven to three

Cons

Availability of hours or student interest peaks and declines

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "Admissions Representative"

I have been working at Dorsey Schools full-time

Pros

Decent pay, benefits and PTO

Cons

Long hours and bad work life balance

5. "Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Roseville, MI
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Roseville, MI

I worked at Dorsey Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! Pay is decent. Met some really good people who became friends, Mod meetings every 6 weeks, Free FOOD.

Cons

Worst place to work! Non-professional, incompetent management, NO LEADERSHIP! The model is do what we say and you will be successful, which in essence means, lie to struggling young adults about their education so they can graduate and make $10.00/hour. These people do not live in the real world. Sexual predators and substance abusers can make it here. If you are making your female colleagues uncomfortable with your sexual advances and comments, you will still have a job, They will just move you to a different campus. The hours are disgusting, and the force voluntary method is unethical.

Advice to Management

Obtain some training outside of Dorsey, Find some mentors who are actual leaders and learn from them. Animal trophies do not make an impression on hardworking adults. Pay them more and actually promote people with good leadership skills. No need to lie or pretend that your DOA's and ADOA's have prestigious degrees and educational credentials. None of you have real degrees. Stop making your employees feel inferior, especially when your tuition reimbursement is but $400.00.

6. "Poor management"

Former Employee - M/A
    Former Employee - M/A

I worked at Dorsey Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros to this school

Cons

Poor management, career service has no expierence
    Financial aid makes guesses, multiple errors made, significantly poor , poor outcome, poor communication

Advice to Management

Needs significant changes such as changing staff compleatly

7. "Admissions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Dorsey Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and opportunity if you do well. Love the fact of helping people achieve goals

Cons

Stress level and uncertainty when you're not doing so well.

Advice to Management

Try being proactive versus reactive in your training efforts

8. "Not a quality education for students"

Pros

Gained job experience teaching. I loved my colleagues.

Cons

Admissions tell students that their class credits will transfer to Delta College and any other universities it's a big fat lie! Students go through the entire Admissions process without requiring proof of a high school diploma or GED. Several students have had to quit going to classes when they were half done with their career program because they didn't have their high school diploma. I am sorry but Delta College and any other university will not allow you to start without one. Furthermore, students have to take a placement test (compass test) before they can enroll in classes. Not at Dorsey, they have students take what is called Aztec; it's a compass test that they take after they start their classes. Newly enrolled students' are required to take the test within the first few weeks of their module but it does nothing for them it's just for their academic file.

Also, the classes are a joke! They have students barely do the minimum of the basics for any class there. Cut back,cut back on the class workload is what we were told because the students are getting too much homework. It makes no sense no wonder we have screw ups working out in the workforce. They graduated from Dorsey. Really its a joke! So they go through their career program with no clue what they are doing. It's terrible that Dorsey is enrolling students for a quick buck! They do not care who walks through the front door. A majority of the classes students' are not allowed take home their books or if they can they can only borrow them and then they are required to turn them back in at the end of said class.

The attendance that students are allowed are ludicrous! They have six-week classes, the department of education says students need to be in-seat for 60 hrs yet they are allowed 24 hrs of missed class. What? Who's doing the math here? If a student missed that much time at a new job in their first six weeks of employment do you really think they would have a job? No way! They'd be fired faster than they can blink. As an adjunct I loved my job, I really loved working with students that worked hard and succeeded. But as far as things are ran there I hated every minute of it.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about the students and stop pocketing money.

9. "Unethical Boiler Room"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Madison Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Madison Heights, MI

Pros

Treated like a king when you hit your monthly quota. Until you stop producing.... The some of the staff and coworkers seemed to be honest and hardworking. Met some good people at several campuses.

Cons

It's all about numbers and exceeding goals. Working in admissions you are constantly under pressure. You director will harass you everyday to enrollment more students. The turn over among reps is insane. The fire reps for missing not hitting there goals.

You are making hundreds of phones calls a day only to catch maybe 2 people that are actually interested in the program. The name of the game is to con students into school. Managment encourages to target minority's and single moms. This is hard core sales job and not for someone who is reality discouraged by rejection.

Everyone Monday morning there would be a conference call meeting about strategies how to con poor students and go over weekly enrollments. Managment would use this rah-rah speech and buy lunch to anyone who exceeds their goals.

It's all a scam.

Advice to Management

Quad partners- Your industry has fallen. Close down the school because your ruining too many lives. Focus on giving a quality education not on profits. Its schools like these that give for profit industry a bad name.

10. "Horrible Industry to be in"

Former Employee - Medical Director in Roseville, MI
    Former Employee - Medical Director in Roseville, MI

I worked at Dorsey Schools (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great opportunity for young employees
    Decent wages for the area

Cons

Unethical industry, fighting for title IV funding.
    Predatory business practices enrolling students who don't have child care, income or transportation, with the "promise" that student's will be bettering their lives when in reality they will barely make enough to pay massive student loans.
    The try to make full time employees salaried and work you like a dog, 50-60 hrs/week
    Part time employees are on contract and renegotiated every 6 weeks.

Advice to Management

Get out before the department of education shuts you down like all of your unethical competitors. The CEO is manipulated easily by her own directors.