Double Helix Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2015

Found 9 reviews

3.6
Gary Priest
  1. "Great talented people"

I have been working at Double Helix Games

Pros

Interesting projects, very nice and talented crew. Management cared about the employees. Best experience I've ever had working for a game developer.

Cons

Not much, I loved working there.

Double Helix Games2014-05-30

"A brief treatise on some place I worked."

Former Employee - 3D Artist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Double Helix Games for more than 3 years

Pros

Make video games. People were great. The time I was there involved a lot of canceled projects and moving personnel.

Cons

A lot of canceled projects and moving personnel. Two companies were smushed together to crank out what amounted to expensive marketing games for movie licenses on every platform we possibly could.

Advice to Management

I liked everyone it was just a weird set of circumstances. Company is now bought by Amazon and life is much better I hear.

Double Helix Games2015-08-11

"Great if you are friends with the "right" people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Double Helix Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good people hamstrung by bad management.

Cons

Work/Life balance, growth opportunities only for those in inner circle of execs, compensation below industry standard, upper echelon of employees are all rehires from EA teams and Collective people grandfathered in.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and let them be the creative force, not your check writers.

Double Helix Games2014-02-21
  4. "Double Helix is the best game developer that you thought that you didn't like."

I have been working at Double Helix Games full-time

Pros

Amazingly versatile and experienced teams who have been through immense difficulties and are now emerging to show the talent and professionalism that has been there all along. Strong technology backbone that enables teams to tailor the experience for their specific game. Dedicated developers who always give above and beyond to deliver more than you could expect from timelines and budgets. High degree of integrity at...

Cons

Budgets sometimes under serve expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to create better and better opportunities.

Double Helix Games2013-08-05
  5. "Best game company I've worked at in 10 years."

Current Employee - Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Double Helix Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive uplifting people, exciting energy and creativity. Lots of room to grow as an artist. Very opportunity driven atmosphere. The owner is a smart visionary who works hard to not only improve current projects but find new ones. Art management is awesome, they quickly identify where art needs improvement, but deliver critiques in a positive way. Art Director has a proper 15+ years of good experience, sharp and...

Cons

Sometimes far future plans / projects aren't always known.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive vibe going it's a great place to work!

Double Helix Games2013-08-01
  6. "A very passionate development team to work for!"

I worked at Double Helix Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Double Helix's dev's are very knowledgeable and passionate about the games they make. The office location is second to none in Orange County.

Cons

The company that owns DH wasn't known for having the pulse of it's studios in the past. It's been a while since I worked there so it could be better these days.

Advice to Management

Treat your devs a little better. They would like more team building events even if it's just a BBQ or summer movie. A team that knows each other better, has higher spirits and works better as a unit.

Double Helix Games2013-07-19
  7. "Great work environment, improved communication, inspiring projects."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Double Helix Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There were ups and downs on uninspiring projects that had to pay the bills, but I am psyched about our current games and what might be coming up. The new building is cool, and the shift toward newer platforms is paying off. Very talented and fun people to work with.

Cons

Lack of communication between publishers who want things in the games, and the teams doing the work. It's getting better, though.

Advice to Management

Keep hustling to get good projects. Buffering publisher demands better could help teams reach their potential.

Double Helix Games2013-06-28

"Great people, but inconsistent and disorganized"

Former Employee - Artist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Double Helix Games full-time

Pros

-Fun people to work with -Lots of talented developers

Cons

-Different teams ran off different methodology -Management was a revolving door -Lack of yearly compensation do to not bringing in enough work -Difficult to move up the ladder outside of the people that, got in good with management -Consistently short developement cycles

Advice to Management

Make sure that every voice is heard when in development. Too many good ideas get left on the floor because outside of leads meetings.

Double Helix Games2013-03-08

"Job started off well but took a turn for the worse when company failed to secure more projects to work on"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I worked at Double Helix Games

Pros

The salary is very competitive for the industry and the employees are a blast to work with. There were company events and parties that really brought the group together,

Cons

The scheduling of work was sometimes too heavy for the amount of employees and the company didn't have the funds to hire more workers, and there is very little room for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Communication between upper management and the employees is sometimes limited and there were times that people felt lost with what to do and what was expected of them.

Double Helix Games2011-01-07