DoubleDutch Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DoubleDutch CEO Lawrence Coburn
Lawrence Coburn

Pros
  • The leadership is incredibly communicative and understands that great people are what build a great product (in 8 reviews)

• Great culture, awesome product, fun market to be involved with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • With growing pains make sure to maintain transparency (in 7 reviews)

• There are no work from home days (in 3 reviews)

"Amazing culture and people"

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

Culture, People, C-suite (especially CEO), Product

Cons

Rapidly changing focuses and product offerings. Hard to keep up with all the change.

"DD was a great experience!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch (More than a year)

Pros

I haven't worked at DoubleDutch in over a year, but I have fond memories of it and am surprised I haven't written a review. The CEO, LC, is great and I reported to him. I loved how he interviewed all of my candidates and whoever we hired got his stamp of approval. No matter how busy he was, he made time for recruiting. Pretty much everyone at DoubleDutch is just overall nice.

There was a lot of opportunity to take on exciting challenges. I was hired to recruit sales people and ended up hiring people in Amsterdam, Hong Kong, etc. Everyday there was a new challenge. It was scary yet exciting and kept me on my toes. No day was the same and I never knew what was going to be thrown at me. At one point, I was the only recruiter and the next minute, I was tasked with hiring more people for staffing and growing and leading a team in Amsterdam and SF!

I'm so thankful for the parking. Otherwise, I wouldn't know how I'd get to work. I hate taking public transportation (bad experience when I was in college).

They moved into a new office, which I never saw but I'm sure it's great!

Cons

Every company has its downsides. As a recruiter, a lot of my hires go to me after they are hired and tell me about all the good and bad. I think the only consistently negative feedback was that they felt micro managed in having to come in exactly on time daily. However, I think that has changed since I left.

For me, I was asked to lead a team and I didn't want to because I didn't feel ready. I have never been in that role before and I think it would have helped to get formal training offered. I did try to step up as much as I could but it was hard to do my job and recruit like crazy and figure out how to lead a team and in the end, I felt I wasn't good at it because I couldn't focus on just being a good lead and giving my team what I needed.

I also dealt with one manager who for some reason, I could not understand why they did not like me and gave me a really hard time. There were times we got along great and times when we didn't.

All in all, the pros outweigh the cons. I left after a year, but super proud of all the work we put in and grew the company from 105 employees to 250 employees in a year!

Advice to Management

Keep getting better! Thanks for listening to feedback!

"Needs a lot of work"

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

Good benefits, sales team seems very excited about what they do. Lunch on Wed. & Friday. Nice building.

Cons

Location is in Potrero Hill, Engineering is not very well organized or well run. Out of the blue they figured out that they were not making enough money and had to layoff 25% of the company. Cheap - Need doctor's permission for a plastic standing desk.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great and I truly enjoy working with each one of my colleagues. We share a common goal and all work in sync to achieve them. The product is always getting better and we have a unique approach to a reasonably untapped market. Lots of opportunities to learn about different product functionality, roles, and even free access to Lynda.com (endless classes). We have many of the tech/startup perks as far as snacks/drinks, some catered meals, casual attire but mostly, encouragement to ask questions and not feel like you have "fall in line." Our CEO is very open about our earnings/spend, etc. (almost to a fault) which is very refreshing. You're treated like an adult here and trusted with the responsibility of knowing the ins and outs of how the company is running as well as the sometimes difficult decisions that are made. You can talk to literally anyone from any team at any rank and they're happy to help you better understand anything going on in their role.

Cons

With any growing company, there is a lot of trial and error. That said, you need to be willing to change process or product knowledge on the fly. This is a con for some but really everything is well explained and plenty of people are willing to help get you brought up to speed.

Advice to Management

Our company culture is such a vital piece to our continued growth. I am confident that it will stay in tact but just want to reiterate the importance it has on our company.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Fantastic office culture. There is not one colleague here that I do not like. DoubleDutch also treats their employees with respect and there are a lot of great perks. There is a ton of opportunity for growth and development. Prepare to work hard and feel rewarded.

Cons

Not a whole lot of cons. Make sure you are flexible and a fast learner, things are always changing.

"Great people and vision, now time to execute"

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

-good people to work with
    -company long term vision is great
    -has the ability to become a big part of how companies market to people
    -leadership listens and allows you to implements new ideas

Cons

-product not as stable as new features have rolled out. Need better focus on making what we have great before adding the newer features.
    -a lot of movement across the company has caused instability and gaps that is felt by everyone

Advice to Management

-as more layers are added between leadership and the client make sure you understand the pain points the team and clients are feeling; Don’t loose touch with either one and what their day to day feels and looks like
    -don't be afraid to hold people accountable who are not achieving expectations or have a sense of urgency. Everyone has be on board and delivering to the fullest for us to execute.

"Now comes the hard part"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are incredible. Smart, real, interesting, and they care deeply about each other. I'm not sure I will ever get to work with this caliber of people again. Compelling vision of creating and dominating a new layer in the enterprise stack. Management means well, and the exec team is now pretty solid. Strongest product and engineering in the event tech category (by a lot), but the company is soon going to be playing in a bigger pond, raising expectations. Talent on the sales and marketing side as well at all levels, and Dave seems so far to be a world class sales leader. CE is innovating hard. Foundation for a great company seems to be intact.

Cons

Company needs to do better at reporting and analytics. The recent customer segmentation analysis, while powerful, should not have caught the company by surprise. DD has always been a "take big shots" kind of place, but the time is now is the time for focus. Still seems to be a few folks not quite on board with the direction - that needs to change soon, as every minute counts.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable. Stay focused on the current path, as it's a good one. Do better at dashboards and operating analytics. Don't let us fail, as the opportunity is immense, and competitors are in disarray.

"A Clear Vision Supported by Remarkable People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

- The people: I truly feel like my coworkers believe that they can change the world and everyone runs in the same direction to accomplish big things here.
    - The company vision: we are revolutionizing the event industry by offering a platform that delivers data to marketers to make informed decisions.
    - The leadership: from the top down, you can clearly see the passion for the product, care for our clients, and empowerment of employments to have a voice and grow within DD.
    - The company culture: DD is very selective in their recruiting process in an effort to secure top talent with a very specific hiring profile. Through this process, I feel like everyone here clicks and I have the opportunity to work alongside some of the most intelligent and insightful people.
    - PHX office: for a new remote office, it is already humming with great employees that are already making an impact.

Cons

Like any startup, there are the normal growing pains of moving towards profitability. DD leadership handles them amazingly well and continuously recalibrates our strategy to set us up for future growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to reinforce the company vision and strategy to employees. We all believe in it!

"Wouldn't Recommend"

Pros

- Amazing people, made lifelong friends
    - good work-life balance
    - open honest CEO

Cons

What used to be a fun small start up has crumbled. Lots of the talented, fun, interesting people have left and the hiring has not continued that culture.

The state of product is looking grime, with the head of product being the main server of kool-aid as he launches product features that are out of touch with the organizers needs. DoubleDutch doesn't know what they are doing in the market, they are struggling with how they can differentiate themselves from competitors and get on top but that means the product has tons of features that most organizers don't know how to use or have no need for. All the features make the app super buggy.

DoubleDutch's struggle in the market is reflected in the consistently poor sales numbers which causes the sales leaders to be super strict with teams. Stop taking your business failures out on sales people who don't have a good product to sell.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the organizer experience when designing new features.

Step up your benefits or people will just leave. Similar sized companies have much better benefits.

Make clear paths for career growth.

Stop serving the kool aid and take responsibility for mistakes.

DoubleDutch Response

Jul 22, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback (and the kind words). You put your finger on what makes DD special... the people truly are amazing. I'm not sure when you left, but I do believe we have incredible focus now ... More

"Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    On-boarding/orientation
    Great management structure
    in office snack bar

Cons

Not enough virtual/work from home opportunities.