DoubleDutch Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
DoubleDutch CEO Lawrence Coburn
Lawrence Coburn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone spends time together outside of work just because DoubleDutch hires such great people (in 8 reviews)

• t expected to compromise work/life balance to achieve results (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Somehow still no one really knows what the plan is (in 5 reviews)

• The company has gone through two rounds of layoffs in six months, cutting employee headcount by more than half (in 3 reviews)

"Truly one of the best career decisions I've made"

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is genuinely a start up culture. We laugh together and fail together. It's been a roller coaster since I've started, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I appreciate the level of autonomy I'm trusted with to do my job and not be micromanaged to death. I feel supported from all directions and appreciate the level of candor I can have with both my colleagues and management about where I'm at and whether or not I feel like we're moving in the right direction.

I've worked for other startups that pale in comparison to my experience at DoubleDutch. It's truly remarkable to me how fast product outages are resolved and the level of commitment everyone has to make the company successful from the top down.

There's a lot of flack on here about the change. In my opinion, it's been for the better and definitely something I would list as a pro vs con (granted, I haven't been around long, but if there's been one constant here since I've started it's that things are constantly in motion). You can float in a pool or ride a wave - I choose the latter.

Cons

During the last year with the changes other reviewers have mentioned, I think the level of transparency decreased from when I started (and was frankly shocked from day 1 by how open a company could be about where they stood and what was happening). Management has been VERY open to feedback on this and is already actively working to course correct going forward. Always room for improvement, but I do appreciate not turning a blind eye on the matter.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight. I know we have remarkable things in our future and am super excited to be a part of it!

"Wouldn't trade it for the world!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although I'm still early in my career, I'm confident that years from now, I will consider my time with DoubleDutch some of the most pivotal and impactful of my life.

That is not to say it hasn't been without challenges. We've ridden the highs and lows of the startup rollercoaster, but I think you do the most growing and learning when things are tough. It's easy to have fun when you close a fat round of funding- but how do you respond when things get a bit harder? There is only one way to definitely know, and that is to experience it.

At the end of the day, what I want in a company is not snacks or napping pods (although we do have top-notch snacking), but to be stretched and challenged in ways I never thought possible. Having the opportunity to raise your hand and own whatever is thrown at you has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life.

The people here are also world class. This is genuinely a place I look forward to coming every day. Although we aren't, the company feels very flat. Where else in the world does the CEO play ping pong alongside individual contributors? And the CTO shares a beer with very junior new hires? This is a community that is fully invested in the success of one another...you'd have a tough time finding another work home with a group of such smart, talented, caring people.

It's been a rough year, but there are many good things on the horizon for those that have toughed it out. Excited to be a part of it.

Cons

I honestly view the typical "cons" as growth opportunities, especially for those earlier in their career. We are a lean team, but that means if you want it, you have the opportunity to step up to the plate and be highly visible and impactful.

That also means that you're highly visible and your decisions have the potential to create a negative impact...that's where the learning is done though! It's a unique opportunity that likely doesn't exist outside of the startup/tech world.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight for those that want to be here. We've come this far and are all in it together! Let's celebrate some big wins and continue to create a collaborative environment where everyone is heard.

3. "Best company to work for in the Bay!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's true that the company has gone through a rebirth recently. We've shed a lot of weight and become much more efficient and growth oriented. I LOVE the team we have now.

Cons

Some people have left with hard feelings.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You've brought us through being VC backed to standing on our own.

"Enjoyed my time"

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

Small teams, you can make a big impact in little time.

Cons

Business structure and sales tactics. Lay offs were horrible but that is start up culture for you.

Advice to Management

Work on being different and bringing new products you can be known for.

Aug 26, 2017 – CEO

Thanks. We will miss you. Best of luck on next stop.

"DoubleDutch slowly withering"

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a former employee, DoubleDutch was at one point an excellent place to gain experience. Management did an ok job helping guide employee development and employees were given plenty of responsibility to execute mission critical projects.

Cons

The company has gone through two rounds of layoffs in six months, cutting employee headcount by more than half. Executive management has attempted to change company objectives but have little experience in execution, leading to more company direction changes and frustration/ lack of transparency for employees. Teams have been outsourced to cheaper locations in attempts to cut costs and employee salaries are lower than average. Middle management spends all of their effort to avoid shutting the company doors, which provides them little time, budget or training to develop their team's talent.

Advice to Management

Every great company invests in its employees. Since DoubleDutch is short on funds, find other ways to encourage learning and development for young employees while giving managers the training and tools to get the most out of their teams. Leadership talks a lot about transparency, but to say that there is a "lack of transparency" is putting it mildly. Be completely transparent in good times and bad if you want to generate rapport with your employees.

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO

Hi, Lawrence here. Thanks for the feedback. It has been a tough year, but we are coming back strong. We are the market leader for what we do. We may be smaller in headcount than we were a year... More

"Core-Value Driven Company & Inspirational Leadership"

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Leadership is honest, in-touch, and always accessible. They also are just really good, genuine people. LOVE the co-founders, especially our CEO.
    - My coworkers are more like family. We eat lunch together, help each other, and communication across all offices and departments are great.
    - The product and support is world-class. We pivoted and moved upmarket successfully & have strong retention numbers with large brands.
    - The company understands that startup culture is more than a ping pong table & happy hours. They focus on development opportunities, giving back to our community (volunteer hours, yay), and having fun within a professional setting. It's nice to be part of a laid back company that doesn't lose it's professionalism so you still feel like an adult.
    - Work/home life balance is great. I have children and management is always understanding if I have to handle a situation with my kids. They treat us as adults and trust us to do our jobs.
    - Overall, I can't say enough good things about working at DoubleDutch. I've been here over a year and I have loved every minute of it.

Cons

The company has gone through some changes so it was a bit of a rough road earlier in the year as we changed our business strategy, but we have rebounded. We run a bit lean so at times, that can mean wearing a lot of different hats, but most of us are go-getters so I think everyone would rather be busy & challenged than not.

"Hard to watch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are still some good people there trying to fight the good fight. Enterprise security is being taken seriously now as a requirement to close bigger deals.

Cons

One word to describe it all: chaos.

The office space is an ongoing issue. It feels empty then overwhelming packed, then empty. Hard to focus. Almost all of the executives that were hired to take the company to the next level have left, and some really good people underneath have gone or are on their way out. For some reason there are still a lot of people in senior roles, and too few people to do the real work. Somehow still no one really knows what the plan is. The people remaining have gone from this "we're going to wait and see" mode in January to general apathy.

Advice to Management

People still care, but they don't feel appreciated or heard. There's still a lot of good work to be done!!! Please listen!

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO

Hi, Lawrence here, there are a lot of (great) people fighting the good fight, and our people are amazing. It's been a long year but we are coming back strong. Thanks for the feedback, and wish you... More

"Experience at DoubleDutch"

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

The people at DoubleDutch made the job fantastic! The company culture was amazing, for most of my experience. My peers were one of the main reasons I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

There was a lack of direction with leadership and where the company was going. Many times I felt like I hit a wall in terms of growth and was unsure as to where my career would lead me.

"Great team, great product"

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

Market leader in product
    Everyone is genuinely nice and dedicated
    CEO is very transparent

Cons

Teams are very tight within themselves, there can be more integration among the teams

"Amazing culture and people"

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time

Pros

Culture, People, C-suite (especially CEO), Product

Cons

Rapidly changing focuses and product offerings. Hard to keep up with all the change.