DoubleDutch Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.8
DoubleDutch CEO Lawrence Coburn
Lawrence Coburn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone spends time together outside of work just because DoubleDutch hires such great people (in 8 reviews)

• There is a ton of opportunity for growth and development (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The company has gone through two rounds of layoffs in six months, cutting employee headcount by more than half (in 3 reviews)

• There are no work from home days (in 3 reviews)

1. "Best company to work for in the Bay!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's true that the company has gone through a rebirth recently. We've shed a lot of weight and become much more efficient and growth oriented. I LOVE the team we have now.

Cons

Some people have left with hard feelings.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You've brought us through being VC backed to standing on our own.

"A sad and quick decline, loss of complete talent and control"

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product really is loved by conference goers, meeting/event planners.

As someone who has put in years here, it's time to move on but I am sad to see such a decline in executive leadership. I am glad to have made so many great friends, and happy to see all of the respectable leadership has moved on to much bigger and better places.

Cons

*DISCLAIMER: There is a rumor that's been going out around DD for years that someone in a C-Level position (will not reveal because I really respect this person and know this rumor isn't true) has HACKED Glassdoor and can see who writes reviews. If this was true, Glassdoor would not be a company. Glassdoor has been contacted about this because there have been "threats" made against sharing reviews on Glassdoor at DD that you will be "found." This is bogus.

In the last year we have laid off 85% of our workforce. That's two major layoffs since July 2016. Partially to improve ACV (not working), cut down on unit economics (working), and go up market (eh).

In the last 6 months we have lost:
    CTO
    CMO
    CFO
    CRO
    CCO (Cheif Customer Officer)
    COO (Same person as above)
    VP of Product
    VP of Account Management
    VP of Client Services
    VP of Sales
    Other major leadership on director level
    Head of HR (there is no HR in U.S. - huge red flag showing how little they care)
    Entire US HR team

No product innovation or room for growth

Advice to Management

Hire a head of product

"Hard to watch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are still some good people there trying to fight the good fight. Enterprise security is being taken seriously now as a requirement to close bigger deals.

Cons

One word to describe it all: chaos.

The office space is an ongoing issue. It feels empty then overwhelming packed, then empty. Hard to focus. Almost all of the executives that were hired to take the company to the next level have left, and some really good people underneath have gone or are on their way out. For some reason there are still a lot of people in senior roles, and too few people to do the real work. Somehow still no one really knows what the plan is. The people remaining have gone from this "we're going to wait and see" mode in January to general apathy.

Advice to Management

People still care, but they don't feel appreciated or heard. There's still a lot of good work to be done!!! Please listen!

DoubleDutch Response

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO

Hi, Lawrence here, there are a lot of (great) people fighting the good fight, and our people are amazing. It's been a long year but we are coming back strong. Thanks for the feedback, and wish you... More

"Now comes the hard part"

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are incredible. Smart, real, interesting, and they care deeply about each other. I'm not sure I will ever get to work with this caliber of people again. Compelling vision of creating and dominating a new layer in the enterprise stack. Management means well, and the exec team is now pretty solid. Strongest product and engineering in the event tech category (by a lot), but the company is soon going to be playing in a bigger pond, raising expectations. Talent on the sales and marketing side as well at all levels, and Dave seems so far to be a world class sales leader. CE is innovating hard. Foundation for a great company seems to be intact.

Cons

Company needs to do better at reporting and analytics. The recent customer segmentation analysis, while powerful, should not have caught the company by surprise. DD has always been a "take big shots" kind of place, but the time is now is the time for focus. Still seems to be a few folks not quite on board with the direction - that needs to change soon, as every minute counts.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable. Stay focused on the current path, as it's a good one. Do better at dashboards and operating analytics. Don't let us fail, as the opportunity is immense, and competitors are in disarray.

"DoubleDutch is a fantastic place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is absolutely going places and the leadership is sound. The culture is that which makes you feel like you have become a new family member. Everyone spends time together outside of work just because DoubleDutch hires such great people. I was super bummed when I had to leave, I miss working there every day!

Cons

They have the same cons as any other successful startup...trying to grow quickly without sacrificing the quality of the employees that works there or the culture, communicating effectively across departments, and while I was there we had office space issues but they have since moved to a nice roomy office! I wish they would adopt an unlimited vacation policy (no one likes tracking days off in a system, it feels corporatey).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Beware of Sales- stay far far away"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While many people do say that it feels like a family at DoubleDutch, I'd say that's only partially true. You meet a lot of great people but there are also quite a number of them who are closed off and clique-y. They don't want to make friends and are happy with their core groups.

We have catered breakfast/lunch 3 times a week and the food is good. Snacks in the kitchen. The usual start up office perk.

Benefits are okay, not the best but better than some companies.

Cons

The company feels like two different companies sharing the same logo. Sales is a boiler room, morale is low, pay is poor and no one is hitting quota on the mid market AE team. The sales group, and what's left is very small, are threatened with their jobs. Headcount is leaving SF and moving to the Phoenix office. The culture than once rang through in the sales org doesn't exist anymore. Upper management doesn't exhibit core company values. Feedback isn't taken seriously at all. Management constantly resorts to desperate scare tactics to "motivate" you. The environment is not motivational at all. For several months, I woke up every morning filled with panic and fear about having to come into work. I tried working through it thinking that it would away but it didn't and that's a feeling shared by current and past employees. The sad thing is DoubleDutch management doesn't care or listen. They want RESULTS no matter what's at stake.

There are no work from home days. Also don't try taking a sick day because you'll receive a guilt trip for it. It's insulting to be treated the way you are in these scenarios. I constantly felt like I was walking on eggshells.

Sales management is highly unprofessional, disengaged and vindictive. One poor month of performance and you are immediately put on a performance plan for the following month which literally puts your job on the line. It's again explained to be "motivational" which for some it might be, but for many people it's completely demoralizing.

This sales role is an absolute grind. There's a reason 3/4 of the sales team has left in the last 6 months. Real talent has walked out the door because of management and the hostile environment. One of the reviews written blames millennials for the environment - I'm pretty sure that was written by a manager or someone still at the company because it exhibits DD's M.O to divert taking responsibility for the crumbling state of the sales org. No responsibility befalls on the company's shoulders, instead everything is blamed on the employees.

Be warned as well: there is absolutely no training here. When I left, they'd recently brought in a sales trainer who had created some programs but a core sales training education that relates to the product is not what you'll receive.

There are also no growth opportunities here in sales because those are being shipped out to Arizona.

It makes me pretty sad to write all this because I had high hopes for DoubleDutch and my experience as an employee.

I want to say that I think LC and Pankaj (the co-founders) are amazing but I just don't think it's true anymore. They were both completely out of touch with their sales team and acted like they could care less about their SDR's.

Advice to Management

I've given it and so have others but it falls on deaf ears. Perhaps just start from the ground up again?

"Happy to be here"

Current Employee - Product & Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product & Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DoubleDutch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people
    Transparent atmosphere
    Generally easy to talk to management
    Amazing growth potential and vision
    Exciting business and technology challenges with a lot of room to grow
    Reasonable benefits
    Good comp

Cons

Vacation policy is a little lackluster, but not terrible
    A lot of junior talent, but more senior leadership being added every day
    Still a startup, so there is a lot of work and not a ton of time

Advice to Management

Keep working hard and bring in more amazing talent. Keep growing the company!

"Ditch the entitlement"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing sales management. Terrific sales director and equally great sales manager spearheading the org. Lots of fun culture stuff- happy hours, offsites, events, etc. Tangible career growth for those willing to work for it.

Cons

Not diligent enough w/ hiring of entry level employees- lots of entitled millenials who have been told their whole lives that their opinions are valuable, special, and a great contribution, even if they exhibit a remarkable lack of success to back it up. Ultimately, there's a group of core strong sales reps who don't feel entitled to anything and know that the company has provided them with a stellar opportunity and all the tools needed to hit it. Others have been complainers since day 1- no employee is guaranteed unlimited time with their manager to help them figure their lives out. This isn't therapy. If people are still unable to do their job successfully 6 months in, it's probably a limited learning capacity on that employee's end, particularly when they've failed elsewhere before starting at Doubledutch.

The loudest voices are often the people who perform the worst. In sales, its common for people to make any excuse in the book to not actually work. "My headset is too loud", "My dialer is slow", etc. There is no top performer who hates their job at DoubleDutch. Nobody wants to earn their stripes.

I'm not a marathon runner, so I don't advise people on how to do it. If I was a failing sales rep, I wouldn't try to optimize a process that I can barely get a handle of in the first place just to serve my own ego.

Advice to Management

Trust your amazing sales management and the knowledge and experience they have. It's silicon valley, and entitled millenials who need to be coddled. Some advice to toxic employees: all you're 'owed' is training, tools, and a fair quota. If you can't figure it out despite that, its your fault.

"Lots to be excited about - Great place to work"

Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DoubleDutch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in the growth of DoubleDutch from a handful of team members to over 250 over three years. It was an incredible experience working alongside so many bright, passionate, and driven people. To anyone considering a career in software sales, DoubleDutch is, hands down, a tremendous place for you to start or continue your career growth. I'm a bit biased because I created much of the career development/pathing, training, sales systems, etc, but I can confidently say that there's a ton of opportunity for sales professionals who are driven and who make out-sized contributions to the business at DoubleDutch. Aside from being a great bunch of people to work with and hang out with, there could possibly be no other market that's more fun than selling mobile software for conferences and events. There wasn't a single day in over three years that I ever felt anything less than 100% excitement and conviction about how the product truly helps organizations. In fact, it's hard to find other organizations who sell a product that has such an easy to understand and obvious value proposition. I was always excited to get back into the office and build, build, build. The days would fly by so fast that most weeks I could hardly believe it was already Friday afternoon. For me, this was a clear indication of how much I loved the work and the company. This is not an isolated experience fro what I've heard from team members who reported to me or team members in other departments.

Although I'm no longer with DoubleDutch, I have great memories and tremendous respect and admiration for the entire group of people at the company, especially LC and Pankaj, the co-founders. In short, the work is meaningful and rewarding, and the environment is highly supportive and I couldn't be more excited than to recommend DoubleDutch to others.

Cons

All companies will have some downsides, but there are no significant cons that should prevent anyone from considering to work at the company. The company went through a rapid stretch of growth and is now in a mode of responsible growth. All in all, I think this is a positive course correction for the company.

Advice to Management

Invest in expanding the breadth of the product so the sales team has more to sell. Continue to live the values that have made the company a breakout success and one of a few software companies to scale as rapidly as DoubleDutch has.

"Amazing Group of People, Great Mid-Stage Startup Intro"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Team culture is really strong. Smart, balanced people with a great sense of humor. Diversity is built into the vibe. You will find your niche here and can go as deep as you want to go.

Our key leaders are eloquent, transparent, and inspiring.

Our product and vision are easy to believe in. Our all-hands meetings really fire you up!

It's easy to jump on projects you're interested in.

Cons

While we have a group of highly capable, intelligent people, too few have deep experience in people management. Things can get emotional here, and closer-to-entry-level employees occasionally feel misunderstood, unappreciated, or confused.

While our vision is strong, it feels like it's compromised too often.

While flexibility to follow your interests within your current role is available, I wish for more career development programs/opportunities.

Advice to Management

Take risks, and keep thinking creatively!