Dougherty & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The beauty of DAI Solutions is that we are uniquely small, and while many may not see that as a strength, understand that there aren't too many companies that you can walk in to your CEO's and COO's office and talk to her about your successes and challenges in the workplace, or ask for advice. At DAI Solutions, kindness matters, your opinions are valued, and opportunities are endless. The people are smart, genuine, compassionate, and truly know what it means to be a "team".

Cons

Not everyone will be a good fit for this organization. The work is fast-paced, deadline driven, and challenging. If you prefer your days and schedule to be consistent from one day to the next, this place may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring problem solvers, who are creative, strategic, and motivated. I recommend that we dedicate more time and resources for business development and focus on finding opportunities to grow. Be more open to exploring opportunities beyond the federal space.

2. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people
    Challenging work
    Learn new things everyday
    Ability to make positive changes
    Diverse workforce
    Great clients to work with
    The environment is deadline driven, fun and exciting
    Benefits are great
    Management cares about me as an individual

Cons

Commute can be challenging at times
    We have an early start, but we have an early finish

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth, your employees appreciate the vision towards collective success and the opportunity to be a part of a winning team.

"If you're looking for longevity, move along!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Excellent coworkers. Private kitchen.Health Insurance.

Cons

Bought into the initial marketing spiel about not being hired for a contract (but when contract ended, so did the job)

Advice to Management

Perform a raw assessment of leadership and the business model. Don't fall into the same trap as other companies.

Sep 9, 2015 – HR Manager

We are sorry that you had a negative experience working with us. For a very long time our organization had never experienced a lay off. In the past we often maintained employment for consultants who ... More

"If you want a decent salary and can tolerate the cons...proceed."

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Very interesting projects. Nice peers. There is a twenty word minimum, but I really don't have much more to say about pros.

Cons

Micro management, more meetings than actual work time, a lot of overtime that could have been prevented by getting it right the at least the second time. It was challenging and interesting, paid well, but the finger pointing, lack of professionalism, and aggressive and hostile managers overwhelm any good that came from this experience.

Advice to Management

Don't underbid your projects, and if you do, secure managers who know how to run them. Micromanaging is not the solution. You are intelligent ladies who know what you are doing; make sure your directors and mid managers are competent!

Sep 16, 2015 – HR Manager

We acknowledge that we had some challenges with the leadership team in charge of our Instructional Design practice. Although repeated attempts were made to develop an understanding of the issue ... More

"Loyalty is of no value to this firm."

Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, excellent benefits and a quiet office.

Cons

The previous entries of a "bully" or "mean girls" culture could not be closer to the truth. This is an organization that regards like minds only. If you don't think like/agree with upper management, you are a pariah. My experience was not unlike being hustled. My first few months, I felt like a super star. I was given great opportunities and my voice was heard.

It was just after my first six months that I started to hear things like "no critical thinking" and "be more strategic". That was also when the nit-picking started and every deliverable was returned with scathing comments. Then, I noticed that I was being excluded from meetings and conversations about my client. At first glance this may seem like a performance problem, but I continued to get great reviews, a promotion and bonuses. I also continued to grow my work. I was respected at the client, but not back at the office.

During my time, I saw over 30 people come and go and saw two colleagues need to take extended leave for burn out/anxiety issues. To me, this is an indication of an unhealthy work environment. The culture is similar to a sorority and the quality of your work and your loyalty to the firm doesn't really matter. What matters more is whether or not you are with the "in" crowd. If you aren't, you have no future here. I tried my hardest to be a part of the community, but in the end, I just wasn't successful.

Advice to Management

Talent, loyalty and hard-work should be worth more to you.

Sep 21, 2015 – HR Manager

Because this like many reviews is anonymous it is difficult to directly answer your specific situation. However, it states that you began to experience issues after six months but stayed with us for ... More

"Challenging work, Awesome Rewards!!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DAI is like any organization, its not sunshine everyday. However, I think the sun is shining more often than not. We work hard but have fun while doing it. You are treated like an adult with the expectation of contributing 100% everyday. The beliefs and vision from leadership are simply a happy and healthy employee is a more productive employee. We have the luxury to exercise during work hours and return refreshed and ready to contribute. No one is watching the front door to see when you return. The expectation is to be honest and like Nike " Just do it"! I have had some challenging times, but have weathered the storm and come out a stronger and better contributor. I have completed a masters degree while working here and with the organizations generous tuition reimbursement: I have zero debt!! The freedom and free spirit of the culture makes DAI a great place to work and play!

Cons

We have three main practice areas and we don't always have the opportunity to interact with one another. We also have two separate floors and it would be nice if we were able to be one floor and have more interaction with our peers and colleagues.

"A Company That Recognizes Its Most Important Asset: The People!"

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at DAI for about three years now, and have enjoyed being part of an organization that makes such a tremendous effort to ensure that employees are given every opportunity to thrive and excel. A corporate culture built on shared values--and an “I Am DAI” framework that embraces and supports employees from the moment they are hired (even before!)--ensures that employees have what they need to become engaged and thriving members of the team.

The opportunities to engage with other employees are plentiful: open doors, knowledge sharing tools and events, communications forums… even an in-house TV station for employee broadcasts. A “get healthy” club meets to discuss exercise and nutrition and to support each other toward personal fitness goals. And the company encourages both individual and company-sponsored community service. There’s a lot going on! Fun social events add to the team-building, from Bocce Ball tournaments to Nationals baseball game outings.

This company also strongly supports ongoing professional development through training opportunities, individual development plans, association memberships and mentoring and coaching. Yes, you'll be challenged to deliver great work here, but you’ll feel comfortable knowing that there’s a strong support structure behind you that will help you do it and position you for continued success.

Cons

The Alexandria location is beautiful... office overlooking the Potomac and downtown DC. But it can be tough to get to for those who don't live close by.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with regard to developing your team, corporate capabilities and culture. Great things are happening!

9. "Proof is in the pudding"

Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was concerned when i joined the company due to the scathing reviews online, but since i joined two years ago, i've been greeted by nothing but honesty. Perhaps there was a shift in direction? or maybe they just had to clean house before that would account for the bad reviews. Whatever the reason, I've been really happy here and glad I joined them. I think people should be careful posting negative reviews b/c it really influences potential candidates. DAI pays very well and my colleagues are outstanding. I can't imagine staying at my previous company.

Cons

If you don't live nearby to Alexandria - commute can be a hassle.

Advice to Management

Not sure I can offer any advice to management. i've been very satisfied with my time at DAI.

"Ecstatic to See Such Positive Changes over the last year"

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Responsive Leadership; Great Coworkers and Benefits

Cons

Still some folks under old management that exhibit distrust

Advice to Management

Keep it up- you're doing a great job and I'm happy to have stayed through the tough times - I really wasn't sure if I'd stay but I'm absolutely satiated with outcome of the changes

"Upper management needs to listen to their staff"

Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office view of Potomac, decent salary with bonuses.

Cons

Not treated like a professional, past experiences/knowledge doesn't count, you are clearly treated as lower management.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover rate for the past few years and take a deep look into way your company has a revolving door. Unfortunately, a few people in your upper management has poisoned the rest of the company.

Sep 16, 2015 – HR Manager