Dougherty & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr. Sherilyne E. Dougherty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not Much to Say"

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time

Pros

Company had good people working there.

Cons

Management didn't appreciate the people or their work.

2. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The beauty of DAI Solutions is that we are uniquely small, and while many may not see that as a strength, understand that there aren't too many companies that you can walk in to your CEO's and COO's office and talk to her about your successes and challenges in the workplace, or ask for advice. At DAI Solutions, kindness matters, your opinions are valued, and opportunities are endless. The people are smart, genuine, compassionate, and truly know what it means to be a "team".

Cons

Not everyone will be a good fit for this organization. The work is fast-paced, deadline driven, and challenging. If you prefer your days and schedule to be consistent from one day to the next, this place may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring problem solvers, who are creative, strategic, and motivated. I recommend that we dedicate more time and resources for business development and focus on finding opportunities to grow. Be more open to exploring opportunities beyond the federal space.

3. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people
    Challenging work
    Learn new things everyday
    Ability to make positive changes
    Diverse workforce
    Great clients to work with
    The environment is deadline driven, fun and exciting
    Benefits are great
    Management cares about me as an individual

Cons

Commute can be challenging at times
    We have an early start, but we have an early finish

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth, your employees appreciate the vision towards collective success and the opportunity to be a part of a winning team.

4. "Great place to work."

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been here for over five years which is the longest I have stayed anywhere. The salary and benefits are excellent for a small company and even compare favorably with much larger organizations. You will work hard but you will have great co-workers and work for an organization that cares about you as a person. The building is nice with a great view of the Potomac.

Cons

Parking can be a bit difficult unless you pay a monthly fee but it is metro accessible. Deadlines can be very short at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to make strides with business development and keep focusing on staffing up with good people. The rest will take care of itself.

"Wish I had read these reviews first"

Pros

There are a few people who are nice to your face. But they probably gossip about you to each other behind your back. Not sure what else to say here. They are generous with salary, but there's no job security, so the salary means nothing.

Cons

What everyone else said. What the HR manager said about 2013 and 2014 being difficult - don't buy it. 2015 is almost over and my co-workers and myself were all miserable after a few months there. At first I thought I was a horrible human being and a stupid incompetent person, but after speaking to another former colleague, I realize that it's part is this company's culture to make unreasonable demands and hide behind the excuse "it's not personal, just business." There is one person in particular who I found out had a bad reputation for how she runs her projects. I wish I had known this going in. My interview process was a mess. I suspect I was just used for my credentials so that they could get the contracted renewed. Then I was pushed out.

Advice to Management

I guess the high turnover doesn't bother you. Most people would be bothered by that from an HR stand point. It's ironic that you offer HR consulting, but your own HR isn't in order. Good thing the clients don't know about it. Hopefully they don't read this.

"Keep looking."

Pros

Nice location, talented coworkers, health insurance

Cons

A culture of bullying, unrealistic expectations, zero work/life balance, hypocritical leadership. If self worth and appreciation for hard work, loyalty, and dependability is of any value to you do not bother.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is not necessary.... They already know EVERYTHING.

"If you're looking for longevity, move along!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Excellent coworkers. Private kitchen.Health Insurance.

Cons

Bought into the initial marketing spiel about not being hired for a contract (but when contract ended, so did the job)

Advice to Management

Perform a raw assessment of leadership and the business model. Don't fall into the same trap as other companies.

Sep 9, 2015 – HR Manager

We are sorry that you had a negative experience working with us. For a very long time our organization had never experienced a lay off. In the past we often maintained employment for consultants who... More

"Poor leadership"

I worked at Dougherty & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues were bright and knowledgeable. Projects were interesting.

Cons

Leadership lets their egos get in the way of making sound business decisions. Upper management lacks accountability. There are no opportunities for promotions or career advancement. They will only hire from the outside rather than promote or develop their own people.

Advice to Management

Recognize what it takes to be a true leader. If your people are your greatest asset, take care of them.

Sep 21, 2015 – HR Manager

We are sorry that you found your experience at DAI ultimately satisfying. While we can't speak to your personal opinions of our leadership team, we would like to address your notion of career... More

"40 hours a week, just isn't enough..."

I have been working at Dougherty & Associates full-time

Pros

DAi boasts some of the smartest and most creative people that I have ever worked with. The organization offers its employees, a competitive salary, and benefits package; beautiful office decor; and training is encouraged.

Cons

There is little to no work life balance for employees. Employees are expected to work far beyond a 40 hour work week, and in many cases this goes without any recognition. Company has also proven to be unstable as they just suffered massive lay offs, that left majority of the company without employment.

Advice to Management

Look to advance current employees instead of always hiring from the outside. Additionally, encourage and promote a healthy work/life balance.

Sep 16, 2015 – HR Manager

We regret that overall you did not enjoy your time working for us and we acknowledge that there are times when our staff is asked to work in excess of forty hours per week. This is a common practice... More

"Good place to start a career"

Pros

Great opportunities to learn new skills.

Cons

There is a very cliquish culture.