Douglas Emmett Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 10, 2019

4.0
Jordan L. Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Very excited to be working for a great company like Douglas Emmett" (in 12 reviews)

• "The learning experience: DE encourages personal growth and learning all aspects of commercial real estate/property management" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons yet noted working with DE" (in 13 reviews)

• "Inconsistency of Management; very low pay for the job that's being done" (in 10 reviews)

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Leasing Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Leasing Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been employed with Douglas Emmett for 4 years now and they are a great company to work for. Competitive pay, great benefits and growth potential are some of the few reasons why I highly recommend working for Douglas Emmett.

Cons

There are no downsides to work for Douglas Emmett.

2. "A Place That Will Provide You The Opportunity To Grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

Working at Douglas Emmett offers a unique opportunity to further expand one's predisposed understanding of the industry, and allows driven individuals the rare chance to reinvigorate an idle view on standards and practices by exploring a new approach on how to navigate the industry successfully.

Cons

I think cons can only be measured based off of an individual’s perception of the con. I also feel that the word con, is commonly misrepresented in having an exclusive relationship with negativity. I believe if cons instead are viewed as opportunities for growth, it can produce a captivating feeling of finally seeing a way past something, that was blocked from sight prior. This will allow an individual to explore and develop a new understanding on how to navigate the bumpy road of the inevitable con.
    I apologize for my rant. I wanted to preface this because, all places of employment have their specific cons, which will greatly differ from one company to the next. Though I'm sure there is a shared number of cons that will be common no matter where you go. From my personal experience, the cons at Douglas Emmett have only helped me become stronger, more driven, and able to handle anything that is thrown my way.
    If you are willing to really challenge yourself, Douglas Emmett can be the vessel that takes to the next level.

3. "Douglas emmett"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

Love the culture and so much to learn

Cons

Work can get overwhelming during closing

"Great, but only if you need to build up your experience"

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Platform- systems are very easy to learn
    - Generally good people with good attitudes
    - Great place to gain experience
    If you want to get your foot in the door and gain some experience on your resume, especially in Property Management, start here. They will promote you quickly and you can take that experience at another firm where you might be paid your worth.

Cons

- Silo environment. Departments work in a vacuum and everyone is advised to "Stay in your lane" and seek help only from department heads in a "top down" environment.
    -Really low pay. They have a policy of filling vacancies at or BELOW the last person. Not the way to attract talent at all. Also low pay increases if/when you are promoted. Take whatever salary you are offered as a starting point; it is always a lowball.
    - The company values process over entrepreneurship. If you are okay with that, this is a company for you. If you like to be in the driver's seat, find another home.
    - Be prepared to fill out a time card. If you are short an hour on your time off request, need flexible or work at home arrangements, or deviate at all from the regular above 50 hour work weeks, be prepared for a fight! You were warned. It's a lot like working at Burger King, except you cannot have it your way.

Advice to Management

- Treat people like profits. It will earn you more if you hire smart people and let them tell you what to do.
    - Senior Management does not have a clue about what happens in the field. Survey your employees and find out what THEY want; you do it for your tenants; your people are even more valuable than that and will give you great insights.
    - Improve your turnover rate. People are leaving for a reason and you need to find out why!!

5. "Engineer"

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Nothing that every job wouldn't have.

6. "Innovation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for the largest real estate owner/operator in West Los Angeles.

Cons

The executive team is not susceptible to change or innovation. Training is obsolete within the organization and as a publicly traded company training is a must. You must invest in your team if you want to see them succeed. Taking a proactive approach and being reactive to tenant issues and concerns need to be more a priority. When you can't get a tenant an answer in a timely manner it set's up the on-site for failure. It creates a division. Promoting Administrative team members to management too quickly has shown to be disastrous.

Advice to Management

1:1 Meetings should be controlled by the team rather than the regional. Have a set agenda and stick to the time/date of meeting with a team member. Make your team meetings interactive. Having a bi -monthly meeting is okay but a true collaborative meeting is more beneficial. Having a standing Operations meeting for 3-5 hours, 1x per week isn't efficient. A more hands on approach from a leadership standpoint would really help the organization have a better culture and positive feel. It can appear that people are afraid to speak up about what tools and resources they may need to be successful in their roles. Help is scarce. Working with 3rd party vendors that have employees that do just enough to get by and take advantage of the process is also a downfall. We don't work for the 3rd parties, they work for us. Having the autonomy to make decisions that are best for the business are key. Allowing mid level management to truly own their business without constant fear would also help ownership of the business.

"a truly professional organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Professional/corporate environment staffed with high achievers
    -Culture that expects you to be the best and give excellent customer service
    -Great resources and tools for associates

Cons

-Some of the systems are out dated such as manually signing contracts/leases.
    -Names on the offices/desks at corporate would help organization and promote more interaction between associates.

8. "Accounting Manager"

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

People are nice and professional. Daily exchange is a reminder to employees on how to be the best.

Cons

so far I can't think of anything.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "RSA"

Current Employee - Resident Services Assistant in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Resident Services Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, awesome company, great benefits!

Cons

You have to have tough skin.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive encouragement to all staff.

10. "Great place to work"

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

Great Management team to work for

Cons

Few concerns great place to work