Douglas Shaw & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug & Stevey Shaw

1. "Making a difference"

I have been working at Douglas Shaw & Associates full-time

Pros

I like being part of a company that helps successful nonprofits accomplish good things in the world. We help organizations raise funds for programs that serve a lot of people--millions of people, in fact.

Cons

We could do more in the way of employee development so that everyone keeps improving their skills.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward according to the long-time vision and values of the company so that you can achieve your goal to help 1 billion people across the globe.

2. "Bad pay, no recognition or appreciation"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at Douglas Shaw & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's always food on hand.

Cons

Pay well below industry standards. Long hours with no additional compensation. No recognition or appreciation.

Advice to Management

Less food, more pay. Make all employees feel like they're appreciated, not just the privileged few.

"A truly unique opportunity"

I have been working at Douglas Shaw & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great place to build a career while making a difference. Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. The people here are kind, supportive, fun to work with, and above all passionate about their work.

Cons

Like any busy agency the pace here is fast and the number of projects high, which can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the growth of employees

"A great place to be apart of a great work"

Pros

This company is full of passionate people seeking to serve our clients well. It's rewarding and fulfilling to be apart of doing this work and partnering with clients who are truly changing lives.

In my time at Douglas Shaw and Associates, I have continuously been given opportunities to grow and gain new skills in this industry. My supervisors are intentional about giving me support and encouragement - both in my career and personally.

Cons

Agency work is very busy and fast-paced which may not be the best fit for everyone. Certain times of the year are busier and longer working hours may be needed.

Advice to Management

Keep giving your employees opportunities for additional education and advancement. Checking in with employees regularly and hearing their feedback is very appreciated.

"GREAT COMPANY, GREAT EXPERIENCE"

Pros

I’ve been in the agency business for nonprofits for 21 years – long enough for my experience to come into its inheritance, or even gamble. But joining Douglas Shaw two years ago was no gamble, as I’ve inherited from others a place beside a proven leader with a healthy company serving a great stable of clients doing life-changing work.

Which is important, because any crowd can market, say, soft drinks or toothpaste, depending on your side of the aisle. But it takes a village with heart to market having a heart – and raise the money to put it to use.

This is why I’ve read some of the disgruntled, anonymous informing in this space – Soviet-style in the cyber age – and had to ruefully smile, “there you go again.” Especially when the slurs are personal, not business. Which seems against the spirit of the forum as well as cowardly.

That’s particularly unsettling when the comments are discouraging words concerning personal faith. Which, I recall, Jesus had a little something to say about along the lines of casting stones. And I don’t think He cares much for sour grapes either.

So about the business: this is a pro team doing top work, sometimes on shoestring budgets, with maximum creativity and sweat equity – regardless of the account size or task. And as to the leadership? Seasoned, successful, and I’d trust ‘em with my organization’s life, let alone the donor file. In fact, while Doug Shaw continues to run the show, many of his former partners in agencies and consultancies of their own are no longer in the business. Or in business.

So can you work here and do well doing good? Absolutely, right alongside other dedicated men and women. And if you buttonhole anybody at Shaw – or on a client’s agency-facing team – for a sandwich after work, they’ll tell you exactly the same.

Cons

One of the questions that goes around any modest-sized company is about advancement: where’s that corporate ladder? But of course it’s more of a big league team than a conglomerate, where everyone has a position, plays their part, can step into a starring role, and the whole club prospers. So if there are cons here, it‘s that people do occasionally move on – people you love working with, as well as some you might not. Whenever it does happen, though, it’s never as much fun as having everybody there for the big win. And as to salaries and benefits, sure the Yankees can sometimes pay more, but is it as much fun as playing for the Cubs?

Advice to Management

Stay the course, continue trusting your people, keep your eyes on the prize and enthusiasm for what we do: changing lives with time and talent, every day. That’s a great way to make a living.

"A agency community based on values!"

I have been working at Douglas Shaw & Associates full-time

Pros

As I joined the team at Douglas Shaw & Associates, I realized quickly that I was joining a group of people passionate about each of the organizations we serve, and committed to serving them with excellence! I am surrounded by creative and strategic thinkers who are striving for success every day. Since joining DSA I have felt like my career has no longer plateaued and I am excited about the opportunities that are in front of me with this company.

Cons

Agency life is fast-paced and there are many job moving through the system on any given day. This can be stressful and chaotic at times.

"Great Company Doing Amazing Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Douglas Shaw & Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

I originally was attracted to Douglas Shaw and Associates because of the heart and vision of the owner. I have stayed for over 8 years because of the organizations deep commitment to the helping nonprofit organizations achieve their financial goals. I have a true sense here that we are working together as a team to help further the mission of the organizations we work with and impact the world for the better. The people are pretty great too.

Cons

We work in a fast paced environment with a drive to keep projects moving and ensure commitments to clients are met. Agency work can be demanding, however... there is great reward, both personal and professional, for success.

Advice to Management

Keep building teams of bright, talented staff with a heart and passion for our work.

"Top-Heavy, Toxic & Dishonest"

Pros

Working with a small amount of genuinely kind-hearted, hard-working people

Cons

DSA has held countless meetings for employees to write “good” reviews on Glassdoor (hence the 3 positive review in less than a week). They know how former employees feel about them, so they fish within the company to solicit positive feedback. Baseline – they cannot provide a positive work environment, so they create a facade.

Besides solicited reviews, the environment is toxic, and it’s encouraged to remain that way – hence the lack of upward mobility. The upper management is over-inflated due to the "incentives" only they receive from the very top. On top of that, they do nothing but trickle ALL of the work and strategy that keeps the company going to the base-level. This forces people in the Associate Consultant level to fade-out, creating high-turnover rates.

Hard-work means nothing at this company unless you keep quiet and stay on your hamster wheel. Management cannot take push-back when you fight for a raise (after 3 years), want to move up, or even express concern about the negative environment.
    Staff meetings are held semi-regularly to discuss rumors about DSA or people on the executive team.

This is not a company that practices the Christian-centered thinking you’ll be told about in the interview process.

If you want to grow professionally and LOVE your job DON"T work here.

Advice to Management

If you want to be successful, you need to think about others and how your decisions impact other people, NOT just yourself. You’re all bosses NOT leaders. Start being a leader today and DSA will be here tomorrow.

"Contractor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Douglas Shaw & Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Got my first experience. It was good to work in an environment with very less politics and flexible work hours.

Cons

The pay at Douglas Shaw & Associates was way below industry standards with very little opportunities for growth

Advice to Management

n/a

"Great place to work with some of the smartest and caring people"

I have been working at Douglas Shaw & Associates full-time

Pros

Great working environment with an exceptional group of smart, caring, team-oriented people who can get things done.

Cons

Not enough company-sponsored professional development or continuing education opportunities.

Advice to Management

Relentlessly communicate. Continue encouraging collaboration, and focusing on employee engagement across the company.