DoveLewis Reviews | Glassdoor

"Doctor/tech Assistant"

Former Employee - Doctor/Tech Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Doctor/Tech Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at DoveLewis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great coworkers, loved my supervisor, good medical/dental/vision benefits, great exposure to interesting veterinarian cases (assisting surgery was cool)

Cons

the pay sucks! turn over is high, this is hard work and long hours, support teams are not compensated enough for what they do

Advice to Management

upper management seemed disconnected from the floor staff, the medical director was super intimidating and not great a managing people. Brings you down rather than lifts you up.

DoveLewis Response

Feb 2, 2017 – CHRO

I’m so glad you enjoyed your co-workers and supervisor. Culture is important to Dove and the Leadership Team and we take our culture seriously. We know the work of a Doctor and Tech assistant is... More

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at DoveLewis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- DoveLewis has an excellent reputation in the community, great name recognition.
    - Friendly staff
    - Many opportunities for growth
    - Great teaching mission, there are always learning opportunities
    - Fast-paced work environment
    - Incredible community programs
    - Wellness support for staff (yoga, art therapy, grief counseling)

Cons

- Sometimes stressful work environment (very fast-paced emergency room- not for everyone)
    - The nature of veterinary emergencies are often sad and stressful, ability to manage work-life integration is important.

Advice to Management

None that I can think of. Always look for signs of compassion fatigue and burnout in employees. Continue support for hospital staff.

"Lacking Management Skills"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Portland, OR

I worked at DoveLewis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good reputation around the state

Cons

Management is poor on incentives, raises and extremely lacking training and fair conflict resolution training.

Advice to Management

Stop the game of gossip and lack of information trickling down. I had many situations where direct information was misquoted and I only found out by asking direct questions at times.

"Administration"

Former Employee - Administration in Haddon Heights, NJ
    Former Employee - Administration in Haddon Heights, NJ

I worked at DoveLewis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy schedule and friendly staff. Busy day so time flies by. Very family oriented and kind to their patients.

Cons

No benefits at all. No paid holidays, no bonuses, no vacation, nothing. Office is disorganized as well.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more often, have yearly reviews, and treat each employee equally. Have thing equal across the board.

"Fantastic people, environment and work"

I worked at DoveLewis full-time

Pros

This place truly cares and is the best place to grow as a person. If you were like me and got excited to apply for a position but saw these awful reviews, take a hard look at my review. Everyone is willing to help no matter how busy they are. Every day is a fantastic opportunity to learn something new and no one is stopping you besides yourself. Bear in mind, I worked in the business section, so my opinion of how things were moving on the hospital floor are limited. But I will truly miss working in this hospital. The pay was great too and my boss/co-workers all did their best to help me succeed. I do not work here anymore because of my own shortcomings and everyone in this company did their best to help me succeed.

Cons

There are some interesting risks being taken but that is part of the equation for true growth. Employee meetings were a waste of time in my opinion and there is an odd vibe sometimes around lunches. However, I never had many cons because if I ever thought something was wrong I would go tell someone about it until I could fix it.

Advice to Management

Continue to work hard, stay nice and maybe build some offices downstairs. I was told multiple times that the reason it was hard to reach you was that someone would walk upstairs and see your door closed and get discouraged. Even though I knew every single person in the leadership cared and always wanted to hear from every corner of the company.

"Great Reputation, Not So Great Work Environment"

Former Employee - Technician Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technician Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at DoveLewis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DoveLewis is riding on the coattails of its reputation as a leading teaching hospital. That shiny exterior has people from all over the country flocking to be a part of it. The DVMs, technicians, assistants, CSRs are all working to keep up the image because they actually care about the work being done at Dove, however, upper management does a poor job of supporting the people on the floor- Dove's bread and butter, so to speak. It's an unspoken rule to watch your back as an employee since management loves to fire people who stir the coals a bit too much.

Cons

The constant influx of new bodies (interns/externs, new hires) makes it difficult to have a tight crew and efficient flow to the floor.
    Less than competitive pay.
    Management does not communicate and lack of professionalism when it comes to dealing with employee issues is disheartening.
    Forever understaffed.

Advice to Management

Start supporting your employees on the floor. They deserve legitimate respect, not just a good word or two spoken about them to your donors.

"So much potential, so much frustration"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at DoveLewis part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Direct impact on people dealing with stressful animal emergencies, draws passionate dedicated animal medical professionals to learn from, great for the resume, +$1/hr than North West Vet Specialists (direct ER competition) for CSRs,

Cons

Poor management within department (front desk) as well as hospital wide. Huge turnover, good people wise up and leave or get singled out and eventually fired for raising concerns. Has huge gap culturally and financially between upstairs management/programs and downstairs medical facility. Medical employees overworked and under-compensated (salary, benefits, work/life balance). Current (for 3yrs) CSR and TA schedule has 50 hrs in five days (10 hr shifts with one 30 min break a shift) that leads to chronic burnout. CSR (~$12/hr) and TA (~$10/hr) not livable wages (better than some, NWVS $11/hr, worse than others, Murray Hill $15/hr for CSRs), and CVT/Tech (start at $16/hr), good luck paying those school loans. Also, poor training (only 14 days) for CSRs given the high volume of cases, strict protocols as non-profit, and paperwork for multitude of programs.

Advice to Management

If you want to stay in business in an increasingly competitive market find a way to make management accountable to others, board members or otherwise. Start an endowment, it's been 42 years already. Don't start a for profit hospital in Lake Oswego run by another organization "powered by Dove" and loose your association with the Portland Veterinary Medical Association (PVMA). Don't let HR fight with a healthcare provider president and revoke contract out of pride forcing your employees to downgrade their benefits.

"Poisoned Potential"

Current Employee - Certified Vet Tech in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Certified Vet Tech in Portland, OR

I have been working at DoveLewis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

State of the art emergency hospital, great staff veterinarians

Cons

Upper management and HR create such a hostile work environment for the hospital staff. Your concerns and suggestions are met with cold opposition, and they will create an even more hostile work environment if you so choose to speak out on important animal welfare issues. I've witnessed countless coworkers receive very harsh reprimands when voicing legitimate concerns. The turnover rate is abnormally high, and it's abundantly clear why. The hospital staff is under appreciated, scrutinized when attempting at a work-life balance, and often mistreated by management. I've watched some of the most dedicated and ethically sound coworkers quit due to utter frustration at the corrupt politics of this organizations. Along the same line, I've watched many loyal and hardworking coworkers get fired for unjust reasons. It's beyond unfortunate that upper management can poison the great potential this organization holds. I hope someday this will change, and DoveLewis will clearly see the value in its employees, and start treating us with the respect we all deserve.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to carefully review his management team. Want an honest account of your employees' job satisfaction? Then send out a survey to all your employees, ensure anonymity, have the surveys sent directly back to you, and make the changes that so desperately need to take place.

"Poor leadership, divisive management, very dysfunctional company culture. Not what you want from a non-profit experience"

I worked at DoveLewis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization has a good reputation and is well-respected (mostly) in the community which tends to attract great employees (if even for only a short period). The medical staff is very knowledgeable, compassionate and truly cares about the well-being of the animals in their care.

Cons

Terrible leadership, starting at the top. Divisive executive leadership and managers with a somewhat inappropriate management culture that pits people against each other, favors interpersonal office relationships and "cliques" - both on the business and programs side and the medical side. While the business is run very well, it's very deceiving to the general public about the true nature of the services (including the cost) and what exactly qualifies them as a "non-profit." Leadership and operational focus is on making money, not serving the community. Money spent on bonuses and exorbitant compensation at the leadership level instead of community programs.

Advice to Management

Invest in a board of directors and leadership that are interested in advancing the mission of the organization and elevating the status of animal welfare programs and services in the community - not making money and their own personal fulfillment.

"Under appreciated"

Former Employee - Veterinary in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Veterinary in Portland, OR

I worked at DoveLewis (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with animals, but there are a lot of places where you can do that.

Cons

Still a corporation. Emphasis was not on the employees that took care of the animals, but on those that marketed and did administration.

Advice to Management

Yes you are a company, but remember that you are there for animals.