Dover Downs Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

Dover Downs Gaming President, CEO, and Director Denis McGlynn
Denis McGlynn

1. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Dover, DE

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good payscale, Employee financial classes, tax help, and some medical and dental insurance which in the service industry is hard to find. It was a very good job. Fairly flexible scheduling, and a good working environment. They took the time to host holiday parties and always gave a small gift card to all employees. When you have a thousand employees - that is a nice gesture.

Cons

Worst HR ever. It seemed they could not answer (or gave different answers) to questions regarding vacation, leave, sick time, points, etc. There was the occasional person in management simply because they had been there "forever" and not because they were qualified. That happens everywhere though.

Advice to Management

Nothing major. Its a good company.

2. "Worst Job I've Ever Had - Hotel Front Desk"

Former Employee - Hotel Front Desk in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Hotel Front Desk in Dover, DE

Pros

-You're paid slightly above minimum wage, which is enticing as a young person in Dover needing an entry-level job (most else in the area is minimum wage).
    -The people I worked with were mostly nice and I made some lasting friends.
    -Working at a hotel front desk will give you the absolute weirdest stories to tell.
    -If you're looking for A LOT of hours, you'll get it here. This could be a con also though because of their bad tendency to work part-time employees full-time hours. It runs around the clock though so I knew people who weren't in school/didn't have other work that really needed as many shifts as possible (but they deserved full-time benefits).
    -I had one or two really good supervisors over the time I worked there who stood up to abusive customers for their employees and took our side when customers would make crazy accusations just to try to get their room for free or get free slot play. Unfortunately, towards the last year of my employment I rarely worked with them and was stuck feeling helpless with a lot of the crazy people.
    -People who worked in the casino seemed to make decent tips. This didn't apply to me because I worked at the hotel front desk.
    -I knew a couple people who moved up into better positions, though this was rare.

Cons

-The hotel is managed poorly, particularly in how they handle check-ins. When someone books a room, the type of room they book for is just a "request" and the room types are first come first serve at check in. This is NOT made clear enough when people book their rooms (probably because its a terrible policy), which leads to the front desk staff constantly dealing with angry customers who are upset when they arrive and discover that it does not matter that they booked a non-smoking room with a king bed because the only thing left is a smoking room with double beds. Furthermore, multiple supervisors typically left the front desk staff to deal with irate customers on their own.
    -It is common to slightly overbook a hotel on busy nights, but there were plenty of nights that I worked where the hotel was too overbooked (30-50+ rooms) because of a lack of cooperation from the casino hosts who would book their players even once the hotel was far overbooked and mostly checked in. This lead to the front desk staff (again) being constantly treated horribly by customers who were being told they were getting sent to another hotel. I can 100% understand customers being upset over this situation, but my problem was more with management. Even if a customer took things too far (which happened often) by calling front desk staff horrible things (c word, b word, f bombs all around, you name it!) and even occasionally threatening or throwing things, there were too many times where my supervisors would hide back in the office instead of coming to help their employees because they didn't want to deal with a raging maniac. Not okay. Of course, I had one or two great supervisors who wouldn't allow us to be treated like that, but because of my school schedule I was typically stuck working with the not-so-great supervisors during the last year I worked there, which meant almost every shift was very unpleasant.
    -I had a supervisor who would abandon the front desk, even on a major check-in night like friday or saturday, to go visit friends in the bars, etc for up to two hours at the longest. Despite this being reported multiple times, nothing was ever done about it while I worked there. *note- there are times as a regular front desk employee where you have to have supervisor permission/help for things, so this really held things up at times and made the front desk staff look incompetent/helpless.
    -They clearly don't want to pay for full-time benefits, so they work their part-time employees full-time hours. Again, some people might not mind this, but when I came on as a part-time employee I was a full-time college student who intended to work a max of 20 hrs/week (this was made clear in my interview) but was often worked 30+ because of high turnover.
    -High turnover! Didn't see this nearly as often in other departments, but don't get too attached to your buddies if you work at the front desk. When I worked there, front desk employees mostly hated their job because of the abuse you take from customers, so people were always actively looking for a new job and left asap. Many left without having anything lined up. By the time I left I was working with completely different people, except 2 or 3 (one being a supervisor), from when I started.
    -The casino attracts a lot of drunks, druggies, and gambling addicts. If you don't have thick skin to deal with people acting crazy, I wouldn't suggest working at the front desk. I watched multiple people quit right after finishing their training because they couldn't deal with the crazies.
    -The hotel check-in system is ridiculously out of date. It looks like something from the 80's.
    -If you're a young, relatively attractive female, you can count on creepy older men (hotel guests/patrons from the casino) saying inappropriate things to you regularly. I will say that when one guy took it too far by trying to persuade me to come to his room and being very insistent about it, even stopping me multiple times when I tried to leave work, the manager did tell me I could leave the desk and basically force him to check-in/interact with someone else whenever he came up.
    -Don't expect to be home on holidays. The casino is open on Christmas and Thanksgiving and New Years... every day... and so is the hotel. If you're within your first two years of working there, you'll definitely be working holidays.
    -You will have to work overnight shifts even if you are upfront during the interview and tell them you aren't able to. I made it clear during my interview that I wasn't able to do overnight shifts, not because I minded being there overnight or was trying to be picky, but because I had to be in class every day at 8 am until 3 pm. I knew I'd be falling asleep towards the end of the school day if I had worked all night. However, turnover eventually caught up and I was "temporarily" put on overnights (going into work at 11 pm, working till 6-7 am, going to class at 8 am, and occasionally having to leave class and come back to work at 3 pm.. Yes, it was AWFUL). "Temporarily" turned into a few months off and on because when a new person would get trained either they would quit or someone else would quit. Once I finally was there long enough to be completely off of overnight shifts, I watched newer employees complain about the same problem - said they were unable to work overnights for family/school/work reasons and were told they had to anyway if they wanted their job. If you have a wide open schedule and don't care about overnights then this is no problem, but if you aren't able to do overnights just be aware they might tell you that its okay but you will likely end up on them anyway for some reason.
    -Overall, if you work at the front desk you will take a lot of abuse for very little return. Employees in other areas seemed at least relatively content in their positions, only dealing with the usual customer service issues, but where I was it was a complete mess. I've had multiple other customer service jobs and never had such a bad experience, despite being assured multiple times that I was one of their best employees. You'll most likely have good or at least decent relationships with your coworkers, thats the only thing that kept me there for as long as I was, but you'll dread coming to work and leave feeling incredibly relieved to be out of there. I noticed that I was so much happier overall once I left for good. I worked with a few supervisors during my time there who had worked at other hotels, even in Vegas and AC, and said they never saw nearly as many issues as at Dover Downs. All of those supervisors quit within about 4 months.

Advice to Management

You claim you want to make your patrons happier, but the best way to do that would be to fix how you handle room booking. Give people the rooms they ask for, make them pay if their comps don't cover the room they want instead of telling them they might get it - only for the front desk to have to tell them the truth at check in, and don't allow the casino hosts to overbook the hotel without front desk permission. Your guests checking in will be happier and then your front desk staff will be less on-edge and happy to handle normal problems that come up. You will probably have lower turnover too. If you really cant do that, at least recognize the good supervisors who stand up for their employees who already deal with a lot of unnecessary problems, and hold the ones accountable who would rather ignore when someone is obviously in a bad position.

P.S. - If this hasn't been addressed already, the whole 4th floor being half smoking/half non smoking is ridiculous. NO ONE wants the non-smoking rooms on that floor because they smell awful. Its just another reason for people to flip out on the front desk staff and demand room changes when its already late and there's no where else to put them. Either make the whole floor smoking again or get with the rest of the state and make the entire hotel non smoking and fumigate those rooms thoroughly.

3. "Its not a bad gig but I wouldn't make a career out of it"

Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Dover, DE

I have been working at Dover Downs Gaming part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tips you take home every night, discounted prices on food at different restaurants, fun work environment, nice people to work with. Dressing up for certain holidays and events.

Cons

Management and Supervisor usually play favorites, work around the clock because open 24 hours, holidays are hard to get off because the Casino is busy during that time, no benefits for part time employees that work full time hours.

Advice to Management

Stop being inconsistent with policies, develop better communication amongst you're peers and your employees, Be nice to your staff show us that you appreciate us working hard. Respect employees privacy do not embarass them infront of co workers. Cocktail Servers deal with a lot of different attitudes on a day to day basis we dont need one from our Manger just cause he's in a bad mood.

5. "Excellent entry level experience in hospitality and casino industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits package, very helpful HR department, great mid level management team, and working at a AAA Four Diamond facility looks great on a resume.

Cons

Singularly focused on generating casino business. Will always be a priority for them instead of the overall guest experience.

Advice to Management

Look into diversifying the amenities and activities for patrons and guests.

6. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Dover, DE

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my time in the casino gaming industry. i opened up with Dover Downs and got to learn a lot from some great people. I will always remember and think back on the great relationships I made with some interesting characters

Cons

Some floor people needed to realize that beating on you while your dealing is not the proper way to handle situations, patrons did not need to hear what was going on behind the scenes while they are placing bets

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the ones busting their butts for tokes

7. "Boring Job for a company that overworks their staff"

Former Employee - Surveillance Officer in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Surveillance Officer in Dover, DE

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice for the most part

Cons

They pay little for the work they ask for. The managers terminate employees for the smallest things. The managers play favoritism with the employees under them.

Advice to Management

Treat all people fair, Realize people are human, and practice what you ask your employees to do.

8. "It was ok"

Former Employee - LAN Support in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - LAN Support in Dover, DE

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Got a lot of hands on working with equipment

Cons

pay is not good and the management is not really good. They promise you stuff in the hand book but when you actually go to use it, they put you through so much stuff that you eventually give up trying to use it. Like education reimbursement

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they are worth

9. "Very exciting and the work is different daily."

Current Employee - Main Bank in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Main Bank in Dover, DE

I have been working at Dover Downs Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet all kinds of people, pay is good, and benefits are good

Cons

working over nite hours and having no help

Advice to Management

There needs to be more communication between supervisors and lower employees.

10. "Don't Do it"

Former Employee - LAN Support III in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - LAN Support III in Dover, DE

Pros

You get a lot of hands on experience that you would not get in some places. You get to meet a lot of nice people and you have the NASCAR race 2 times a year.

Cons

Management is not the greatest. People are always get looked over. Don't even think about getting promoted it will be few and far between.

Advice to Management

Treat your people right and pay them what they are suppose to be making and they will stay there. Especially if you have a good group of people

11. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Director in Dover, DE

Pros

Company has been a great employer to me. I've been working here for 15+ years and have advanced from an hourly employee to director. I've been given many opportunities and am thankful. Good compensation package. Lots of room for advancement

Cons

Alot of micromanagement in the company. Upper management doesn't trust its employees to make good/sound business decisions. Some job postings are already filled with hand picked favorites before the job is posted in house. Discourages some more qualified employees from even applying.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. Allow your people a little freedom. They know how to handle money.