Dover Downs Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

Denis McGlynn

1. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Dover, DE

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good payscale, Employee financial classes, tax help, and some medical and dental insurance which in the service industry is hard to find. It was a very good job. Fairly flexible scheduling, and a good working environment. They took the time to host holiday parties and always gave a small gift card to all employees. When you have a thousand employees - that is a nice gesture.

Cons

Worst HR ever. It seemed they could not answer (or gave different answers) to questions regarding vacation, leave, sick time, points, etc. There was the occasional person in management simply because they had been there "forever" and not because they were qualified. That happens everywhere though.

Advice to Management

Nothing major. Its a good company.

2. "Greeter/Cashier"

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming part-time

Pros

Great benefits and they are flexible with school and other jobs.

Cons

You are declared part time but work full time hours and no breaks.

3. "Great!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You feel appreciated. Management is great!

Cons

Advancement opportunities are limited because is such a nice play to work for that people don't leave.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

5. "Worst Job I've Ever Had - Hotel Front Desk"

Former Employee - Hotel Front Desk in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Hotel Front Desk in Dover, DE

Pros

-You're paid slightly above minimum wage, which is enticing as a young person in Dover needing an entry-level job (most else in the area is minimum wage).
    -The people I worked with were mostly nice and I made some lasting friends.
    -Working at a hotel front desk will give you the absolute weirdest stories to tell.
    -If you're looking for A LOT of hours, you'll get it here. This could be a con also though because of their bad tendency to work part-time employees full-time hours. It runs around the clock though so I knew people who weren't in school/didn't have other work that really needed as many shifts as possible (but they deserved full-time benefits).
    -I had one or two really good supervisors over the time I worked there who stood up to abusive customers for their employees and took our side when customers would make crazy accusations just to try to get their room for free or get free slot play. Unfortunately, towards the last year of my employment I rarely worked with them and was stuck feeling helpless with a lot of the crazy people.
    -People who worked in the casino seemed to make decent tips. This didn't apply to me because I worked at the hotel front desk.
    -I knew a couple people who moved up into better positions, though this was rare.

Cons

-The hotel is managed poorly, particularly in how they handle check-ins. When someone books a room, the type of room they book for is just a "request" and the room types are first come first serve at check in. This is NOT made clear enough when people book their rooms (probably because its a terrible policy), which leads to the front desk staff constantly dealing with angry customers who are upset when they arrive and discover that it does not matter that they booked a non-smoking room with a king bed because the only thing left is a smoking room with double beds. Furthermore, multiple supervisors typically left the front desk staff to deal with irate customers on their own.
    -It is common to slightly overbook a hotel on busy nights, but there were plenty of nights that I worked where the hotel was too overbooked (30-50+ rooms) because of a lack of cooperation from the casino hosts who would book their players even once the hotel was far overbooked and mostly checked in. This lead to the front desk staff (again) being constantly treated horribly by customers who were being told they were getting sent to another hotel. I can 100% understand customers being upset over this situation, but my problem was more with management. Even if a customer took things too far (which happened often) by calling front desk staff horrible things (c word, b word, f bombs all around, you name it!) and even occasionally threatening or throwing things, there were too many times where my supervisors would hide back in the office instead of coming to help their employees because they didn't want to deal with a raging maniac. Not okay. Of course, I had one or two great supervisors who wouldn't allow us to be treated like that, but because of my school schedule I was typically stuck working with the not-so-great supervisors during the last year I worked there, which meant almost every shift was very unpleasant.
    -I had a supervisor who would abandon the front desk, even on a major check-in night like friday or saturday, to go visit friends in the bars, etc for up to two hours at the longest. Despite this being reported multiple times, nothing was ever done about it while I worked there. *note- there are times as a regular front desk employee where you have to have supervisor permission/help for things, so this really held things up at times and made the front desk staff look incompetent/helpless.
    -They clearly don't want to pay for full-time benefits, so they work their part-time employees full-time hours. Again, some people might not mind this, but when I came on as a part-time employee I was a full-time college student who intended to work a max of 20 hrs/week (this was made clear in my interview) but was often worked 30+ because of high turnover.
    -High turnover! Didn't see this nearly as often in other departments, but don't get too attached to your buddies if you work at the front desk. When I worked there, front desk employees mostly hated their job because of the abuse you take from customers, so people were always actively looking for a new job and left asap. Many left without having anything lined up. By the time I left I was working with completely different people, except 2 or 3 (one being a supervisor), from when I started.
    -The casino attracts a lot of drunks, druggies, and gambling addicts. If you don't have thick skin to deal with people acting crazy, I wouldn't suggest working at the front desk. I watched multiple people quit right after finishing their training because they couldn't deal with the crazies.
    -The hotel check-in system is ridiculously out of date. It looks like something from the 80's.
    -If you're a young, relatively attractive female, you can count on creepy older men (hotel guests/patrons from the casino) saying inappropriate things to you regularly. I will say that when one guy took it too far by trying to persuade me to come to his room and being very insistent about it, even stopping me multiple times when I tried to leave work, the manager did tell me I could leave the desk and basically force him to check-in/interact with someone else whenever he came up.
    -Don't expect to be home on holidays. The casino is open on Christmas and Thanksgiving and New Years... every day... and so is the hotel. If you're within your first two years of working there, you'll definitely be working holidays.
    -You will have to work overnight shifts even if you are upfront during the interview and tell them you aren't able to. I made it clear during my interview that I wasn't able to do overnight shifts, not because I minded being there overnight or was trying to be picky, but because I had to be in class every day at 8 am until 3 pm. I knew I'd be falling asleep towards the end of the school day if I had worked all night. However, turnover eventually caught up and I was "temporarily" put on overnights (going into work at 11 pm, working till 6-7 am, going to class at 8 am, and occasionally having to leave class and come back to work at 3 pm.. Yes, it was AWFUL). "Temporarily" turned into a few months off and on because when a new person would get trained either they would quit or someone else would quit. Once I finally was there long enough to be completely off of overnight shifts, I watched newer employees complain about the same problem - said they were unable to work overnights for family/school/work reasons and were told they had to anyway if they wanted their job. If you have a wide open schedule and don't care about overnights then this is no problem, but if you aren't able to do overnights just be aware they might tell you that its okay but you will likely end up on them anyway for some reason.
    -Overall, if you work at the front desk you will take a lot of abuse for very little return. Employees in other areas seemed at least relatively content in their positions, only dealing with the usual customer service issues, but where I was it was a complete mess. I've had multiple other customer service jobs and never had such a bad experience, despite being assured multiple times that I was one of their best employees. You'll most likely have good or at least decent relationships with your coworkers, thats the only thing that kept me there for as long as I was, but you'll dread coming to work and leave feeling incredibly relieved to be out of there. I noticed that I was so much happier overall once I left for good. I worked with a few supervisors during my time there who had worked at other hotels, even in Vegas and AC, and said they never saw nearly as many issues as at Dover Downs. All of those supervisors quit within about 4 months.

Advice to Management

You claim you want to make your patrons happier, but the best way to do that would be to fix how you handle room booking. Give people the rooms they ask for, make them pay if their comps don't cover the room they want instead of telling them they might get it - only for the front desk to have to tell them the truth at check in, and don't allow the casino hosts to overbook the hotel without front desk permission. Your guests checking in will be happier and then your front desk staff will be less on-edge and happy to handle normal problems that come up. You will probably have lower turnover too. If you really cant do that, at least recognize the good supervisors who stand up for their employees who already deal with a lot of unnecessary problems, and hold the ones accountable who would rather ignore when someone is obviously in a bad position.

P.S. - If this hasn't been addressed already, the whole 4th floor being half smoking/half non smoking is ridiculous. NO ONE wants the non-smoking rooms on that floor because they smell awful. Its just another reason for people to flip out on the front desk staff and demand room changes when its already late and there's no where else to put them. Either make the whole floor smoking again or get with the rest of the state and make the entire hotel non smoking and fumigate those rooms thoroughly.

6. "pay"

I have been working at Dover Downs Gaming full-time

Pros

You get to meet alot of new people and you get good benefits nice employees that you work with on a daily basis.

Cons

They don't care about the employees in upper management they give u really really bad pay but they want you to go above and beyond for customers.

Advice to Management

Look out for your employees and there families the little bit of money that you guys offer isn't enough for anything. You could give Better benefits and offer Better vacation time.

7. "Dover Downs Hotel and Casino"

I have been working at Dover Downs Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is easy to progress professionally on the job.

Cons

Dover Downs caters to the home grown crowd in the area. Unfortunately, it is not a very nice crowd.

Advice to Management

Your are not politicians. Stop acting like it. The State of Delaware will do what they please with Dover Downs.

8. "Its not a bad gig but I wouldn't make a career out of it"

Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Dover, DE

I have been working at Dover Downs Gaming part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tips you take home every night, discounted prices on food at different restaurants, fun work environment, nice people to work with. Dressing up for certain holidays and events.

Cons

Management and Supervisor usually play favorites, work around the clock because open 24 hours, holidays are hard to get off because the Casino is busy during that time, no benefits for part time employees that work full time hours.

Advice to Management

Stop being inconsistent with policies, develop better communication amongst you're peers and your employees, Be nice to your staff show us that you appreciate us working hard. Respect employees privacy do not embarass them infront of co workers. Cocktail Servers deal with a lot of different attitudes on a day to day basis we dont need one from our Manger just cause he's in a bad mood.

9. "Senior Computer Operator"

I have been working at Dover Downs Gaming full-time

Pros

Great People and great evviroment

Cons

None at all because I say so

Advice to Management

None

10. "Good Company"

Pros

This company is a great company to work for. There are great people and benefits such as partial tuition reimbursement. Easy to work in other departments if you aren't satisfied with your current department.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement in some departments. Low pay.

11. "Excellent entry level experience in hospitality and casino industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

I worked at Dover Downs Gaming full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits package, very helpful HR department, great mid level management team, and working at a AAA Four Diamond facility looks great on a resume.

Cons

Singularly focused on generating casino business. Will always be a priority for them instead of the overall guest experience.

Advice to Management

Look into diversifying the amenities and activities for patrons and guests.