Dow Chemical Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dow Chemical Chairman, President & CEO Andrew N. Liveris
Andrew N. Liveris

Pros
Cons
  • poor work life balance with a lot of the young engineers (in 36 reviews)

• Very strict work processes can be limiting as far as your ability to contribute to activities and projects (in 27 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

NIce fun place to work at Dow

Cons

Work life balanceis hard. Many hours

Advice to Management

Pay more

"Great place to learn. But..."our way is always the right way, and besides, that's how we've always done it.""

Current Employee - Director in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place too learn. Very collegial most of the time. Many opportunities to fix big (albeit unnecessary) missteps--basically a version of the "fail fast fail often" mantra, but completely unintentional. Pretty good comp.

Very complex business. Don't underestimate the educational value of joining an old line industrial company. Operations, Engineering, Finance, Legal, Environmental and more are all both broad and complex--far more so than most "new" business. Just don't expect great marketing experience: the company mostly sells commodity plastics and chemicals, which is why all the other aspects of the business tend to be used as sources of competitive advantage.

Cons

Despite being amicable, the culture is very rigid and not dynamic at all, especially when it comes to problem solving and strategic positioning. That can be very frustrating since the breadth and depth of the work is so extensive. There are so many missed and mismanaged opportunities!

Majority of executive management is grossly incompetent and owes their position to unquestioning, mindless loyalty to the CEO/Chairman of the Board. CEO is a self absorbed, dishonest megalomaniac who generally ignores his competent leaders out of pride and overconfidence.

Read about his $720k expense account abuse--it's public. Ironically it became public the same week he rolled out a new employee ethics and integrity standard where he lectured the company about, among other things, how use of expense accounts to even the smallest degree is grounds for termination. Also of note, three corporate auditors in a row were fired or quietly force out of the company remarkably soon after each confronted him about his expense account abuse.

Advice to Management

CEO should not be chair of the Board. Board should be purged of the CEOs favor-traders (Thank you Dan Loeb/Third Point for getting the ball rolling). Board should then clean house. There are many very competent senior leaders leaders outside the executive suite.

"Dow Chemcial"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Good people

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy
    Hard to make changes
    Always stuck on the "Dow Way"

5. "Big company has been good to my family but major changes are coming"

Current Employee - Mechanical Technician in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Technician in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for our area, good benefits including a small pension. Also with Dow you have opportunity to travel if that's something you want and there are always opportunities for new jobs internally.

Cons

They try and turn maintenance into an assembly line. Keeping tools in your hand and your brain in the tool box. Working in the chemical industry can be hazardous and sometimes showers and locker rooms are not available.

6. "Limited Opportunities in BPSC"

Current Employee - Credit Coordinator in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Credit Coordinator in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Nice people.

Cons

Not very many opportunities to advance; only lateral movement with no pay increase.

Advice to Management

Value employees that contribute to the company.

"Chipping away little by little"

Former Employee - Office Professional in Freeport, TX
    Former Employee - Office Professional in Freeport, TX

I worked at Dow Chemical part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and work life balance is encouraged

Cons

Employees always on edge. CEO builds employees up to tear performance down. Great motivational speaker..

"Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dow will appreciate your efforts and your accomplishments if and when you achieve the results they want you to achieve. They give you a lot of liberty and freedom to try new approaches. There are many people who are very content doing what they're doing...so stepping out and driving change is appreciated.

Cons

The training of their leaders is almost nonexistent. It appears to me that they promote the technical expert who often does not know how to lead a team or build a team to achieve the results. If you come from an organization outside of the company do not expect to be taken seriously for at least 7 to 10 years.

Advice to Management

The common joke is that DOW stands for do it our way is still prevalent. The forced ranking used both HR is outdated and it is a demotivator for many many people.

9. "Tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Dow Chemical (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Love it there.

Cons

Small Plant size so everyone was in everyone business. Didn't like that

"Glad I left of my own free will"

Former Employee - Leader in Freeport, TX
    Former Employee - Leader in Freeport, TX

I worked at Dow Chemical (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was once a world leader in invention and manufacturing. It was a great science and engineering company. Now merging with DuPont since neither could invent anything, the MBA's won.
    Awesome training and work experiences that are helping me excel at my new, much higher paying employer.

Cons

Perpetually short on cash. You know how poor people say they didn't know they were poor? Dow's like that...
    Has been in a panic since the recession.
    Tried too hard to diversify and failed miserably. Should have stuck to what it was great at
    Has been the shrinking chemical company for more than a decade through asset sales and demoralizing layoffs

Advice to Management

I was a 20 yr employee, leader class. I should have been able to spend my career with you. People like me are your future. Good for me that I left.
    Invent a time machine, go back to late 90's and buy Conoco instead of Union Carbide, that's when it started to go downhill. Thanks Stavropolous...

11. "Operator"

Former Employee - Process Technician in Antioch, CA
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Antioch, CA

I worked at Dow Chemical (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to work. Benefits are good the pay is good I believe it to be a good place to retire if that's what you want

Cons

I think it's a lot of favoritism at the Hayward site though. But overall most of the people there are good people. Just sad when one or two can make the entire place bad

Showing 298 of 1,219 reviews