Dow Jones Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Dow Jones Manager Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2019

Found 57 reviews

2.6
Dow Jones CEO William Lewis (no image)
William Lewis

"Great technology office with progressive company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dow Jones has provided me many new opportunities and tools for growing my career. They provide excellent benefits and allow for a sane balance between work and personal life. The Minneapolis office is energetic, innovative and inclusive. The software development teams are given the latitude to build working and sustainable software. I have never worked with such a thoughtful, intelligent and committed group of... people. I love coming to work here.

Cons

Dow Jones is headquartered in New York. This means some traveling and the occasional feeling of being a bit dislocated.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on moving forward; you're doing a great job of celebrating employee and organizational successes!

Dow Jones2017-12-05

"Worst company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros the hours they are a set schedule.

Cons

The company plays a lot of favorites if you are on there good side you will move up. If you don't play teachers pet then you wont.

Advice to Management

respect everyone

Dow Jones2019-08-14
  3. "Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall the company was nicely run and work was often engaging and interesting. What I liked most about it was you were able to forge your own path and trajectory and manage successful outcomes with management being light touch. Co workers were mostly awesome people with a big heart. That alone made coming to work an absolute pleasure.

Cons

Since the News Corp acquisition in 2007, the company experienced significant transformations and a lot of employee churn. This was to be expected due to needed restructurings and realignment of business objectives. People who couldn't adapt to new and often changing operating paradigms did suffer, and more often than not opted to leave or experienced layoff due to reorganization. Executive and Middle Management was... a revolving door in some departments which did create occasional periods of instability depending on your role in the organization.

Advice to Management

Been a while since I've been with the firm but please keep the Dow Jones and WSJ brands top tier and strive to stay relevant in the social media era. Keep boosting the online businesses. Strive for top talent.

Dow Jones2019-07-25

"Mixed"

Former Employee - Manager in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salaries Good hours Some really nice people

Cons

Some very awful people - political, back-stabbing. Executive management does not have a good handle on what drives these businesses and why customers value the services. Rapidly changing from valuing

Advice to Management

Hire staff with experience in these fields instead of less experienced digital people with little understanding of your traditional customers. Value your people by retraining, increasing educational benefits instead of cutting.

Dow Jones2017-08-17

"STAY AWAY! Received a tempting new offer? Yes it's too good to be true."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None. Honestly the only problem about this company is the fact that you have benefits and a 401(k) but you get that at other companies too.

Cons

I only gave this company a one star rating because a zero star rating was not available. I worked in New York office from 2014 to 2016 Management was decent. My colleagues were good. BUT The hours were terribly long and the commute was horrible depending on which office you were going to. People worked 10 to 15 hours per day. I did not get to see my kids during the week. I worked on Sundays. Missed my kids school... events during the week I never made it home in time for dinner.. even on Friday. There is no downtime. Marketing, sales, tech, all departments are in pretty bad shape (I got the same feedback from my colleagues in other departments). It's a dying business so I would really think 10 times before making a move here. Actually I would think a 100 times. If you think your current job is bad, I guarantee this is worse. I don't know why anybody would want to work here. You put in more hours than a start up or even more than your own small business. And you could get laid off at any point so keep that in mind (since the business is not booming as it once was). Tthat is especially true if you are in the newsroom. Benefits are good. You get three weeks of vacation and handful of personal days. The "unlimited" sick days are not real because you just work from home instead. I worked on vacation too. Again this is an accurate representation of my time with this company. I'm in a better place now I have more time with my family and less stress in my new job. By no means am I specifically faulting my department, my colleagues or my manager it's just a sick culture in this company. I miss my colleagues and still keep in touch with them. I hope my review helps you truly grasp the true culture within this company. Stay away and wait for an offer with another company. I know I should have done so.

Advice to Management

Understand what your team does.

Dow Jones2017-03-16
  6. "Manager"

Former Contractor - Manager in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones for less than a year

Pros

Friendly workplace and overall good atmosphere. Good work life balance and respect for differing opinions and ideas

Cons

Teams were in transition and a bit disorganized. Leadership needs to be a bit more decisive

Dow Jones2016-07-25
  7. "Project manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Dow Jones offers a lot of variety for project management opportunities. Exposure to many different aspects of the business keeps the job interesting.

Cons

The company is not very well organized and there is a lot of conflict, animosity, and competition rather than collaboration within senior management.

Advice to Management

Start recognizing the people who actually make projects successful rather than singing the praises of managers who take credit for the work of others.

Dow Jones2016-05-17
  8. "Dow Jones is a great place to work!"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked in a number of different roles at Dow Jones. Overall, one is respected for their contributions and the environment is quite friendly. Compensation is very fair and generally allowances are made for a pleasant and productive work/life balance.

Cons

The only downside were a couple of re-orgs although in a company of this size it's to expected once in awhile.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Dow Jones2016-02-17

"Constant Change"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great conditions and good brand name to work for.

Cons

Constant change in management and direction. The business model is struggling in a digital age.

Advice to Management

Nurture talent and don't rely on your brand name to attract the best innovators. All the most promising people leave with frustration.

Dow Jones2015-10-23

"Manager"

Manager in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Dow Jones for more than a year

Pros

Great people, work environment and benefits. Managers allow for individual expansion of talents and seek advice and are supportive of recommendations. Very relax atmosphere and working conditions. Excellent senior management.

Cons

Poor starting salary for extensive experience. I would like to see a little more structure in the organizational charting. Seems as if requirements far exceed the original job descriptions which is fine as it allows for professional expression.

Dow Jones2015-08-26