Dow Jones Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York City, NY Area

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William Lewis

Pros
  • There was a good work/life balance with not very long hours (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits and smart people to work with (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is selfish, rude, and do not even talk to their junior-level employees (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is totally disconnected right down to junior management (in 19 reviews)

"Marketing Associate <2 years"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Food, Cheap gym in the building (game changer for quality of life!), subsidized food (pretty decent food for cheap in the cafeteria), Challenging work environment, friendly coworkers, great product(s), the management are normal people and you can talk to most of them, the pay is good if you work hard, the benefits are AMAZING (Medical, dental, gym reimbursement, 4.5% 401K match on 6% contribution, the people are really cool it was fun to go to work every day at Dow Jones.

Cons

Tech projects take a long time to get through, moving up can be slow in some cases, the free food doesn't change in variety (this is probably the biggest con... I will never eat peanuts again), the temperature in the office fluctuates wildly (bring a tank top and a sweater), there aren't many happy hours but they are currently working on having more so this shouldn't be a problem for much longer.

Advice to Management

More happy hours, hire someone to help the tech team pump out projects, your gym reimbursement program should be able to be used to buy home fitness equipment, turn the electricity off at 5p.m. on a Friday, and you guys really need to throw a Christmas party.

"Regret Accepting The Offer"

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Good name; it would help when transferring to another company.

Cons

Bad Management. My manager is horrible! I regretted accepting the offer during my second week at the company. As a new employee, the only way to learn is ask questions. Whenever, I asked my manager a question, she looked straight at me and turn without saying a word like I was invisible. I thought to myself, "the why hire me?" She did this multiple times and parent, she is known in the office for being rude. I now understand why HR extensively asked how I would deal with difficult people or situations. I don't know how long I can take this. It's going to be long one.

Advice to Management

Set up on boarding training and talk to your employees.

3. "Dow Jones"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent company benefits.
    Good people
    Decent products (aside from DJX)
    Generally can clock off at 5pm

Cons

Middle management is a large segment and growing which limits upward progression.
    Restructures happen almost annually for last 5 years - not a place to go if you want a stable job.
    Targets are large and unrealistic.
    Can get discerning looks for clocking off at 5pm
    Large established cliques and inner circles.

Advice to Management

Invest more effort and time developing existing staff rather than hiring more middle management.

"Worst place I have EVER worked!!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits that start on day 1. However, this may seem like a "pro" when you start, but it isn't when you add in the misery of day to day life here.

Cons

The 7th floor (marketing and sales) is like high-school. Very clicky. They are CHEAP! They had NO company holiday party in 2016 to thank their employees, nothing!! Senior management is selfish, rude, and do not even talk to their junior-level employees. Everyone hates their job and openly talks about it, making it a very toxic work environment. Or, those who do not talk about diliking it, walk around looking miserable. They pay less than any other competitor (NYT, Bloomberg, etc.) - far less! If you are in a sales role, don't expect to make good money - they make you fight for your money and try to screw you every quarter! There are no sales contest, or perks to ever hitting your bonus...you get nothing. By nothing meaning they try not to even pay you. Most sales reps are having to fight for their correct payout every-time - its such a shame.

Advice to Management

Grow-up, look more put together, and do your job!

"STAY AWAY! Received a tempting new offer? Yes it's too good to be true."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Honestly the only problem about this company is the fact that you have benefits and a 401(k) but you get that at other companies too.

Cons

I only gave this company a one star rating because a zero star rating was not available.

I worked in New York office from 2014 to 2016 Management was decent. My colleagues were good. BUT
    The hours were terribly long and the commute was horrible depending on which office you were going to. People worked 10 to 15 hours per day. I did not get to see my kids during the week. I worked on Sundays. Missed my kids school events during the week I never made it home in time for dinner.. even on Friday. There is no downtime. Marketing, sales, tech, all departments are in pretty bad shape (I got the same feedback from my colleagues in other departments). It's a dying business so I would really think 10 times before making a move here. Actually I would think a 100 times. If you think your current job is bad, I guarantee this is worse. I don't know why anybody would want to work here. You put in more hours than a start up or even more than your own small business. And you could get laid off at any point so keep that in mind (since the business is not booming as it once was). Tthat is especially true if you are in the newsroom. Benefits are good. You get three weeks of vacation and handful of personal days. The "unlimited" sick days are not real because you just work from home instead. I worked on vacation too. Again this is an accurate representation of my time with this company. I'm in a better place now I have more time with my family and less stress in my new job. By no means am I specifically faulting my department, my colleagues or my manager it's just a sick culture in this company. I miss my colleagues and still keep in touch with them. I hope my review helps you truly grasp the true culture within this company. Stay away and wait for an offer with another company. I know I should have done so.

Advice to Management

Understand what your team does.

7. "Global Account Manager"

Former Employee - Global Multimedia Account Manager in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Global Multimedia Account Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at Dow Jones (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highest Quality Journalism in the industry

Cons

Difficult adverting environment as shift to digital continues to impact revenues

"OK place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a well respected brand. Get to meet some nice people, good benefits, snacks around the office.

Cons

Multiple restructures and reorganizing of management, lack of clear goals and changing role responsibility. Bureaucratic management, displayed favoritism and nepotism. Work life balance is not emphasis across all departments.

9. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people make the company! Relaxed culture -- they did not care if I came in to work at 8 am or 9.30 am as long as I finished all the work they would give me!

Cons

Struggling to grow with changes in media industry. We had budget cuts a couple months ago. Testing out new strategies to fight it though!

"More politics than Washington."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company Benefits (health). many days off, 401k, unlimited sick days. All Great. It's the management that's the problem.

Cons

Human Resources is a joke. It's amazing that division hasn't been cleaned out since the new CEO came in a few years ago. Completely operate on their own and the head of it takes business matter personally, doesn't investigate claims and should be canned.

The News Corp level micro manages individuals and projects to the extent to where those working on them have no control and are at the mercy of the friends of execs who aren't qualified, but hired to do important tasks.

Advice to Management

Clean out HR and let the company units do what they were meant to do (without micro management from News Corp). Letting execs poke their noses and bring in their friends on jobs does nothing but impede on jobs that could help pull the company out of the nose dive it's in.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

Pros

Great products and an inviting atmospheres to work. Pay reflects performance. Management reviews are fair and professional. You have the ability to move around the company based upon your interests

Cons

There are none that I can think of - good place for any institutional sales person. You get out of this job what you put into it. So you you are not a hard working, do not expect much

Advice to Management

Hold the people who have been there for years accountable - Do not let managers work remotely. I had a manager that worked remotely and he worked half the time because he was not working in the same city as his manager - BIG Problem