Dow Jones 501 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William Lewis

Pros
  • There was a good work/life balance with not very long hours (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits and smart people to work with (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management completely disconnected from workers (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is totally disconnected right down to junior management (in 20 reviews)

1. "Marketing Associate <2 years"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Food, Cheap gym in the building (game changer for quality of life!), subsidized food (pretty decent food for cheap in the cafeteria), Challenging work environment, friendly coworkers, great product(s), the management are normal people and you can talk to most of them, the pay is good if you work hard, the benefits are AMAZING (Medical, dental, gym reimbursement, 4.5% 401K match on 6% contribution, the people are really cool it was fun to go to work every day at Dow Jones.

Cons

Tech projects take a long time to get through, moving up can be slow in some cases, the free food doesn't change in variety (this is probably the biggest con... I will never eat peanuts again), the temperature in the office fluctuates wildly (bring a tank top and a sweater), there aren't many happy hours but they are currently working on having more so this shouldn't be a problem for much longer.

Advice to Management

More happy hours, hire someone to help the tech team pump out projects, your gym reimbursement program should be able to be used to buy home fitness equipment, turn the electricity off at 5p.m. on a Friday, and you guys really need to throw a Christmas party.

2. "Review"

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

High-level journalism with a wide reach

Cons

A business facing many challenges

3. "Manager"

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Great benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Constant layoffs. No work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and value them.

"Decent Company, Boring Work"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stayed as long as I did for the relaxed work environment and the team. I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the area and some of the perks were great.

Cons

Constant battle of red tape, meetings, poor management. All the typical issues for Software Engineers in large companies that aren't true Tech companies. The work was pretty boring and not very challenging.

"Good Entry Level Position"

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Good way to get foot in the door. Great co workers

Cons

No opportunity to grow. Company seems to be doing bad since they laid off quite a few people.

7. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Great benefits and generous time off

Cons

Growth opportunities are not readily available

8. "Morale is low, but the business is better than the rest of the industry."

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Really smart, savvy people in general.

Cons

Smart people in wrong positions - lateral mobility is limited.

"Worst place I have EVER worked!!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits that start on day 1. However, this may seem like a "pro" when you start, but it isn't when you add in the misery of day to day life here.

Cons

The 7th floor (marketing and sales) is like high-school. Very clicky. They are CHEAP! They had NO company holiday party in 2016 to thank their employees, nothing!! Senior management is selfish, rude, and do not even talk to their junior-level employees. Everyone hates their job and openly talks about it, making it a very toxic work environment. Or, those who do not talk about diliking it, walk around looking miserable. They pay less than any other competitor (NYT, Bloomberg, etc.) - far less! If you are in a sales role, don't expect to make good money - they make you fight for your money and try to screw you every quarter! There are no sales contest, or perks to ever hitting your bonus...you get nothing. By nothing meaning they try not to even pay you. Most sales reps are having to fight for their correct payout every-time - its such a shame.

Advice to Management

Grow-up, look more put together, and do your job!

"Please do NOT accept your offer here"

Pros

My one star would go to the benefits (3 week pay, good maturinity, and their dental/eye). I never used their medical so I can't review on that.

Cons

I want to give an ho est review regarding my time here. Please think twice before accepting an offer. The nature of the industry is declining and DJ is on a sharp decline as well. All perks were scaled back, constant lay offs, don't be surprised if your working 14 hour days, it's the norm here. Especially true in the finance department but from what I hear, it's pretty common accross other departments as well. Everyone is miserable there. I honestly would feel bad for the new employees because they had no idea what they were getting themselves into.
    They try to sell you with unlimited sick days but you still end up working from home. Managers did not care for their just for employees but would just get upset at them for not working more than 10 hours. Constnt fear of when your job will be cut. Just please do yourself a favor and think twice before having a career here. I had no life Sunday - friday and would have to catch up on rest on Saturdays. It's a horrible environment and I really really really hope someone reads these reviews when contemplating a job offer from here because they have budgeted millions of dollars in cuts by the year 2020. So expect a lot of downsizing and more cut backs by then.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and not just your own wallets.

11. "Great Experience"

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Lots of freedom, and great environment

Cons

Long commute for me from home