Dow Jones Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
William Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Wonderful work/life balance and flexibility (in 51 reviews)

• Great work like balance, good benefits and flexibility to work from home or at other offices when traveling (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea about what goes on or maybe they just don't care (in 23 reviews)

• Senior management is selfish, rude, and do not even talk to their junior-level employees (in 22 reviews)

1. "Mailroom duties and security checks packages Through X-ray machines and scanners."

Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am a loyal employee, great with customer
    Service.. can adapt to any situation and
    Have skills in mailroom, copy center,
    And over 8 years experience as assistant supervisor of Security. I have a great personality and treat all with respect
    From people in T-shirts to executive.
    I have 16 and 8 hour certificates. Also loss prevention, took classes about felony and misdemeanors, also have Security license.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like I should be doing more
    Even when my supervisor tells me I’ve
    Done all he requested. I just want to add
    More skills to the ones I already have.

Advice to Management

Always keep an open door for employees so
    That they feel comfortable coming to you with problems. And to have patience if employees
    Don’t feel comfortable than you will not
    Have teamwork. And a moral boost is
    Always a good feeling and makes employees
    Happy to work and actually work harder.

2. "One word... Amazing"

Current Employee - Senior Security Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Security Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits.. Amazing atmosphere with amazing people around

Cons

Bonus factor is not that great..!!

3. "Great people, great potential, lacks clear and cohesive focus"

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits. Wonderful work/life balance and flexibility. Was at company for many years, for the majority of those years, there was recognition and appreciation for hard work and new ideas were welcomed. Potential for career advancement.

Cons

In the past few years, tools and resources have become scarce, and appreciation and understanding from upper management of the work being done has stalled. Lacks clear direction, focus, goals and communication throughout company.

Advice to Management

Create a clear plan and goals and communicate that to everyone. Start making better decisions regarding products, and what clients really want and need, as well as how to support your employees who actually care about the work and quality of products. Provide the tools and resources necessary not only to maintain current products but to create and to innovate.

4. "Pleasantly Surprised, Changing for the Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For an organization as large and old as Dow Jones, I have been pleasantly surprised by this company's ability to innovate and adapt to a rapidly changing media landscape. The people are smart, the leadership is strong, and the product is best-in-class.

There are many brilliant people at this company – journalists, technologists, business people, designers, marketers, and more. Most of the people I've met have been easy to work with and care about the product / quality journalism. I truly believe the work happening at this company is impacting the world in a positive way.

While the outlook for print media is poor, the result is a workplace full of opportunity and genuinely interested in your contributions. New ideas and approaches are encouraged and are given a chance to succeed. In my three years here, I feel I've been able to make a huge impact on the business and have seen tangible results. That's pretty exiting!

The office may not be the newest (although there's IS an amazing new gym), the perks may not be the flashiest, and the brand may seem a little dated, but there are good things happening at this company. You'll get to wear many hats and grow your career in the process.

Cons

The culture here is lacking. The people are great, but there are no opportunities to interact or meet employees outside of your direct team. That's a management problem, not a people problem.

Example: there has never been a real holiday party (or any celebration whatsoever in my 3 year tenure). That may sound whiny, but these sort of events are crucial to morale and employee happiness. How else will a technologist cross paths with an editor? They won't because this place is huge! It's a shame because that sort of mingling between departments is what would lead to ideas that would help this company thrive.

The office could also use a makeover. There are almost zero communal spaces, leading to a generally insular feeling around the workplace.

Advice to Management

Times may be tough, but small investments in culture will pay huge dividends.

5. "Great Employees"

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Wonderful and collaborative people to work with. Working toward a flexible work schedule. Great benefits.

Cons

Low increases when promoted within

Advice to Management

Offer raises to employees equivalent to their work experience and qualifications.

6. "Order Processing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for employees expressing concerns, ideas, and feedback from customers to upper management!

Cons

Very sedentary and a little bit repetitive.

Advice to Management

N/A.

"Great technology office with progressive company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dow Jones has provided me many new opportunities and tools for growing my career. They provide excellent benefits and allow for a sane balance between work and personal life. The Minneapolis office is energetic, innovative and inclusive. The software development teams are given the latitude to build working and sustainable software. I have never worked with such a thoughtful, intelligent and committed group of people. I love coming to work here.

Cons

Dow Jones is headquartered in New York. This means some traveling and the occasional feeling of being a bit dislocated.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on moving forward; you're doing a great job of celebrating employee and organizational successes!

8. "Loved It"

Pros

The people are amazing. Everyone tries to help you.

Cons

There were no Cons for me.

"Good place to work"

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Easy going. steady hours. Not too demanding

Cons

a bit disorganized, too many meetings

"Great Place"

Current Employee - News Reporter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - News Reporter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging, motivating, fun, great co-workers

Cons

More than 40 hours per week, slow to hire