Dow Jones Reviews | Glassdoor

Dow Jones Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There was a good work/life balance with not very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• Great work like balance, good benefits and flexibility to work from home or at other offices when traveling (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is selfish, rude, and do not even talk to their junior-level employees (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is totally disconnected right down to junior management (in 19 reviews)

"STAY AWAY! Received a tempting new offer? Yes it's too good to be true."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Honestly the only problem about this company is the fact that you have benefits and a 401(k) but you get that at other companies too.

Cons

I only gave this company a one star rating because a zero star rating was not available.

I worked in New York office from 2014 to 2016 Management was decent. My colleagues were good. BUT
    The hours were terribly long and the commute was horrible depending on which office you were going to. People worked 10 to 15 hours per day. I did not get to see my kids during the week. I worked on Sundays. Missed my kids school events during the week I never made it home in time for dinner.. even on Friday. There is no downtime. Marketing, sales, tech, all departments are in pretty bad shape (I got the same feedback from my colleagues in other departments). It's a dying business so I would really think 10 times before making a move here. Actually I would think a 100 times. If you think your current job is bad, I guarantee this is worse. I don't know why anybody would want to work here. You put in more hours than a start up or even more than your own small business. And you could get laid off at any point so keep that in mind (since the business is not booming as it once was). Tthat is especially true if you are in the newsroom. Benefits are good. You get three weeks of vacation and handful of personal days. The "unlimited" sick days are not real because you just work from home instead. I worked on vacation too. Again this is an accurate representation of my time with this company. I'm in a better place now I have more time with my family and less stress in my new job. By no means am I specifically faulting my department, my colleagues or my manager it's just a sick culture in this company. I miss my colleagues and still keep in touch with them. I hope my review helps you truly grasp the true culture within this company. Stay away and wait for an offer with another company. I know I should have done so.

Advice to Management

Understand what your team does.

"Doing Pretty well for struggling media"

Former Employee - Editor in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Editor in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home policy, contingent on department
    Flexible hours
    Upbeat coworkers
    Data Strategy growing
    Great benefits/time off/unlimited sick

Cons

No job security in News
    All departments outside of Data strategy seem to be downsizing
    Definitely need more room for growth
    The IAPE contract is a joke

Advice to Management

Reallocate resources to growing departments, rather than trying to keep struggling ones afloat

3. "Global Account Manager"

Former Employee - Global Multimedia Account Manager in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Global Multimedia Account Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at Dow Jones (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highest Quality Journalism in the industry

Cons

Difficult adverting environment as shift to digital continues to impact revenues

"OK place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a well respected brand. Get to meet some nice people, good benefits, snacks around the office.

Cons

Multiple restructures and reorganizing of management, lack of clear goals and changing role responsibility. Bureaucratic management, displayed favoritism and nepotism. Work life balance is not emphasis across all departments.

5. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people make the company! Relaxed culture -- they did not care if I came in to work at 8 am or 9.30 am as long as I finished all the work they would give me!

Cons

Struggling to grow with changes in media industry. We had budget cuts a couple months ago. Testing out new strategies to fight it though!

"More politics than Washington."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company Benefits (health). many days off, 401k, unlimited sick days. All Great. It's the management that's the problem.

Cons

Human Resources is a joke. It's amazing that division hasn't been cleaned out since the new CEO came in a few years ago. Completely operate on their own and the head of it takes business matter personally, doesn't investigate claims and should be canned.

The News Corp level micro manages individuals and projects to the extent to where those working on them have no control and are at the mercy of the friends of execs who aren't qualified, but hired to do important tasks.

Advice to Management

Clean out HR and let the company units do what they were meant to do (without micro management from News Corp). Letting execs poke their noses and bring in their friends on jobs does nothing but impede on jobs that could help pull the company out of the nose dive it's in.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

Pros

Great products and an inviting atmospheres to work. Pay reflects performance. Management reviews are fair and professional. You have the ability to move around the company based upon your interests

Cons

There are none that I can think of - good place for any institutional sales person. You get out of this job what you put into it. So you you are not a hard working, do not expect much

Advice to Management

Hold the people who have been there for years accountable - Do not let managers work remotely. I had a manager that worked remotely and he worked half the time because he was not working in the same city as his manager - BIG Problem

8. "Smart colleagues"

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Behefits package and health coverage.

Cons

Limited career growth opportunity. Aggressive workforce downsizing and organizational restructuring impacts moral of existing employees.

Advice to Management

More investment on building new products and expansion to SaaS.

9. "WORK PLACE"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has a good public Image

Cons

Too much whom you know to get growth opportunities

Advice to Management

MANAGEMENT NEEDS FEEDBACK OF LOWER EMPLOYEES

10. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (401k, vacation, healthcare) and great people. The hours were reasonable and I would've had a real work/life balance if not for a long commute.

Cons

NJ location is a huge turn-off to young talent in bigger cities. That meant that although there were some great people on my team, there was also a lot of mediocrity. Bad management and bad legacy employees.

Advice to Management

Make it more difficult to become a manager and require more experience. Try to connect more with lower-level employees. More than half my team left in the first year of its creation because of this disconnect.