Dow Jones Reviews | Glassdoor

Dow Jones Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There was a good work/life balance with not very long hours (in 48 reviews)

• Great work like balance, good benefits and flexibility to work from home or at other offices when traveling (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is selfish, rude, and do not even talk to their junior-level employees (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea about what goes on or maybe they just don't care (in 22 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Great benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Constant layoffs. No work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and value them.

"Decent Company, Boring Work"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stayed as long as I did for the relaxed work environment and the team. I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the area and some of the perks were great.

Cons

Constant battle of red tape, meetings, poor management. All the typical issues for Software Engineers in large companies that aren't true Tech companies. The work was pretty boring and not very challenging.

"Good Entry Level Position"

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Good way to get foot in the door. Great co workers

Cons

No opportunity to grow. Company seems to be doing bad since they laid off quite a few people.

"Morale is low, but the business is better than the rest of the industry."

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Really smart, savvy people in general.

Cons

Smart people in wrong positions - lateral mobility is limited.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Great benefits and generous time off

Cons

Growth opportunities are not readily available

"Worst place I have EVER worked!!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits that start on day 1. However, this may seem like a "pro" when you start, but it isn't when you add in the misery of day to day life here.

Cons

The 7th floor (marketing and sales) is like high-school. Very clicky. They are CHEAP! They had NO company holiday party in 2016 to thank their employees, nothing!! Senior management is selfish, rude, and do not even talk to their junior-level employees. Everyone hates their job and openly talks about it, making it a very toxic work environment. Or, those who do not talk about diliking it, walk around looking miserable. They pay less than any other competitor (NYT, Bloomberg, etc.) - far less! If you are in a sales role, don't expect to make good money - they make you fight for your money and try to screw you every quarter! There are no sales contest, or perks to ever hitting your bonus...you get nothing. By nothing meaning they try not to even pay you. Most sales reps are having to fight for their correct payout every-time - its such a shame.

Advice to Management

Grow-up, look more put together, and do your job!

"Please do NOT accept your offer here"

Pros

My one star would go to the benefits (3 week pay, good maturinity, and their dental/eye). I never used their medical so I can't review on that.

Cons

I want to give an ho est review regarding my time here. Please think twice before accepting an offer. The nature of the industry is declining and DJ is on a sharp decline as well. All perks were scaled back, constant lay offs, don't be surprised if your working 14 hour days, it's the norm here. Especially true in the finance department but from what I hear, it's pretty common accross other departments as well. Everyone is miserable there. I honestly would feel bad for the new employees because they had no idea what they were getting themselves into.
    They try to sell you with unlimited sick days but you still end up working from home. Managers did not care for their just for employees but would just get upset at them for not working more than 10 hours. Constnt fear of when your job will be cut. Just please do yourself a favor and think twice before having a career here. I had no life Sunday - friday and would have to catch up on rest on Saturdays. It's a horrible environment and I really really really hope someone reads these reviews when contemplating a job offer from here because they have budgeted millions of dollars in cuts by the year 2020. So expect a lot of downsizing and more cut backs by then.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and not just your own wallets.

"STAY AWAY! Received a tempting new offer? Yes it's too good to be true."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Honestly the only problem about this company is the fact that you have benefits and a 401(k) but you get that at other companies too.

Cons

I only gave this company a one star rating because a zero star rating was not available.

I worked in New York office from 2014 to 2016 Management was decent. My colleagues were good. BUT
    The hours were terribly long and the commute was horrible depending on which office you were going to. People worked 10 to 15 hours per day. I did not get to see my kids during the week. I worked on Sundays. Missed my kids school events during the week I never made it home in time for dinner.. even on Friday. There is no downtime. Marketing, sales, tech, all departments are in pretty bad shape (I got the same feedback from my colleagues in other departments). It's a dying business so I would really think 10 times before making a move here. Actually I would think a 100 times. If you think your current job is bad, I guarantee this is worse. I don't know why anybody would want to work here. You put in more hours than a start up or even more than your own small business. And you could get laid off at any point so keep that in mind (since the business is not booming as it once was). Tthat is especially true if you are in the newsroom. Benefits are good. You get three weeks of vacation and handful of personal days. The "unlimited" sick days are not real because you just work from home instead. I worked on vacation too. Again this is an accurate representation of my time with this company. I'm in a better place now I have more time with my family and less stress in my new job. By no means am I specifically faulting my department, my colleagues or my manager it's just a sick culture in this company. I miss my colleagues and still keep in touch with them. I hope my review helps you truly grasp the true culture within this company. Stay away and wait for an offer with another company. I know I should have done so.

Advice to Management

Understand what your team does.

9. "Great Experience"

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Lots of freedom, and great environment

Cons

Long commute for me from home

10. "Recruiter/Talent Acquisition Specialist"

I worked at Dow Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team work, good work environment, team sprit

Cons

none, none, none, none, none