Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Handler"

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the internship program. You must prove to the management that you are 100% dependable before they will offer you an internship. They will be either paid or unpaid depending on the department, but regardless, you can learn new skills and be put in a different position by just doing a great job and showing the initiative and proving yourself. There are other locations that you can transfer to as well. The sky is the limit for career growth. Two of their doctors started as kennel techs with Dr. Boyd years ago, one of their managers started as a handler, and they sent her (along with two others) to dog training school and Dr. Boyd's paid for it! Proof is all of the place that they do what they say they are going to do!

Cons

Shifts start early! You can have some long days if other employees call in sick or don't show up. Holidays are really busy as well.

Advice to Management

Hire more cleaners! Everyone is expected to clean, I would rather not have to do that as part of my job description, but oh well!

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Handler in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Handler in Irvine, CA

I worked at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really hard to find any pros about Dr. Boyds, working one on one with dogs and cats is the ONLY pro, but that's easily over-shadowed by the many cons.

Cons

Extremely incompetent, immature management. Two-faced management, who never follow through with the career opportunities and raises they say they will give. Their only concerned with image and money, not things like work ethic, employee's happiness, and support. Management undermines and disrespects their employees on a daily basis with a smile on their face. Everyone are subordinates and replaceable to them. Dr. Boyd's is a very corporate. Greedy. Ignorant. Selfish company. They give verbal raises, but do not follow through and deny giving the raise. This place is a waste of time you can never get back.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Pay more attention to behind the scenes and the day to day functions of your employees and departments. Show that you appreciate the hard work and caring that your employees provide under your name. Keep your promises. Don't lead people on by offering career growth/opportunities and raises to keep them employed. New management is needed entirely.

3. "Great Place, Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can be cross trained in any area of the resort. You can be a dog handler, concierge, vet assistant, trainer or groomer, even management. Was able to try several different areas of interest before finding one that "fit". Will pay well if proven to be capable and a team player, pretty easy!

Cons

Not too many cons, unless you don't pull your own weight, complain, and cause conflict with other employees and management.

Advice to Management

Keep up the consistency and the great work! Continuing to maintain the great vibe and culture is important, keep up the good work!

"Handler"

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time

Pros

I need to start by saying that if you want to be in the pet industry and you don't know where to start, start at Dr. Boyd's. They train you for professionally positions in training, grooming, veterinary technician positions, and management. There is no ceiling, our manager Jessica Brennan started as a handler, was sent to dog training school (that Dr. Boyd paid for!) and now she is manager of the Irvine Resort. Upward mobility people!!!! Benefits and bonuses based on quality of care, reviews, accomplishments, client surveys.

Cons

The pay starts around $10 -$11 an hour, you have to prove yourself

Advice to Management

Get rid of lazy people faster!

"great place, bad management"

I worked at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort (More than a year)

Pros

Working with dogs and cats. Nice facility
    Fun type of job. The love from furry friends.

Cons

Awesome place but pay is horrible. Some employees get higher pay to do the same job, even when you have same or more skills. Even when you try your best, they will always find something wrong about you. Some small selected group (depending on who they like or not) get all the raises and promotions and the appreciation. You must beg for a raise or promotion. If you are too good it means a threat to them and wont let you get in any higher position. The managers culture is: you challenge them,children and they will get rid of you. Don't buy into the reprogramming , and you are out. No AC or heater in the back of facility, only fans. Dogs and employees either freeze or burn. You apply for one position but they put you to do whatever and everything and for the same pay.

Advice to Management

This could be a great place to work at but they MUST get rid of the managers and assistant managers and hire competent ones that actually KNOW how to deal with issues and employees. Lacks of consistent norms and protocols. Some safety issues are not addressed. A HUGE and constant employee turnover that even clients can notice. They call themselves a TEAM, a family. IT IS NOT. The resort owners have a truly great vision and mission statements but they MUST get more involved in it , listen to the staff, and they need to realize that their managers need to be less petulant children and more understanding, roll model ones.

"Fun and laid back."

Current Employee - Everything in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Everything in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool place managers are cool if you know what your doing and don't make mistakes. If you want a place to go hang out while working hard and get paid this is a good place for you. Staff is friendly most are cool and just show up and work hard others take advantage but I think that's every work place. You get paid time off at a year. You get a good health benefits and care for your pets....

Cons

No benefits for humans is a big one. (but if it was me or my dog I would chose my dog so you win :)
    In this field it seems you can only go so high in pay and management anyway, so promotions aren't much, but they are there.

Advice to Management

I would like to see lower management step up. It seems like business moves slowly or slower here because the other managers don't know how to just make it happen. They seem to just leave a message or note for the GM.

"Amazing all around, I look forward for the years to come!"

Current Employee - Bather in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Bather in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never worked for a company that shows this amount of care and compassion for the staff and clients. All management from Dr. Boyd down, truly believe in great team work. They treat their employees with respect and in turn create an amazing atmosphere. The smiles are contagious from the clients to the staff even down to the pups. I don't think I've ever been given so many hugs :)The standards of cleanliness exceed any company I've ever worked for, from break room down to the yards. Trevor Beckes, our General manager has created an atmosphere in which all the employees feel comfortable enough to voice our concerns, opinions and ideas knowing they are being heard, and if needed changes will be made. No idea is ever stupid. No one is ever put down. He shows genuine interest in all his staff helping them in any way necessary even if it means more on his end. Trevor will help as much as he can with a smile in his face any day of the week even on vacation! I am honored and privileged to have found a work place like Dr. Boyd's. with the standards and positive attitudes they are molding the kind of business every company should strive for. I LOVE MY TEAM!!

Cons

Expansion of the yards and bedrooms would be amazing!! Our growing numbers are overflowing! some talk of expansion but nothing so far. A larger isolation room possibly with a third clinic exam room attached.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I appreciate the positive attitudes.

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Dog Handler and Veterinary Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Dog Handler and Veterinary Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked here for over a year now and love it. Great dogs, coworkers and teamwork. Dr Boyd's has only been open a couple years and many of us have already been promoted to supervisor and management positions. I want to spend my life working with dogs and Dr Boyd's provides all sorts of opportunities to do that.

Cons

The place never closes, so sometimes I have to work Sundays and holidays.

Advice to Management

Get the work schedules out sooner.

10. "Only work here if you're a Happy Person! :)"

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Handler in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Handler in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun place to work! Dogs all day long! They promote from within the company, lots of training and interning. They will pay for vocational training of specialty skills, and then put the staff members into higher positions after completing the training. Shifts are awesome: mostly either 6am -2pm, or 2pm to 10pm. Lots of time before or after work to get things done, hang with friends and family. Days off are easy, vacation pay after a year, discounts on services, we can bring our pets with us to work, cool and fun vibe, everyday :) Oh and, the owners John and Jen always do cool things for us like bowling parties, pizza day, holiday parties, fancy downtown parties! Managers are always handing out gift cards too for "job well done"!

Cons

No insurance benefits, but that is a common thing these days, everywhere.

Advice to Management

Expansion would be great, they talk about it a lot, but nothing has happened so far...

"un-impressed with interest taken in employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dr. Boyd's Pet Resort part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

enjoy most of fellow co-workers

Cons

not enough communication between management

Advice to Management

follow through with suggestions made from employees