DrAxe.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Evan Tardy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing Place!"

I have been working at DrAxe.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing people (smart and fun to work with)
    - True open door policy with President of company and HR director
    - So much opportunity for career growth (if you are hungry).... I have seen multiple people be promoted within 3-6 months of starting with the company
    - Leadership empowers you to do your job and does not micromanage
    - The work we do changes lives
    - Ongoing learning is constantly encouraged and supported

Cons

- Serial entrepreneurs and explosive growth means the company is constantly changing.... not everyone is going to like that
    - We don't do corporate communication very well... but the leadership team has really put a lot of effort into it recently and it is noticeably improving

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Steer Clear: Toxic, Dysfunctional, and Unprofessional"

I worked at DrAxe.com full-time

Pros

There are some wonderful people at the lower levels. Working for a fast growth company, as well as the perks of monthly products, office-wide snacks, breakfast on Wednesdays, and the casual work environment are all appealing. But…

I would gladly take all of that away to work for a company that operates with integrity and strategic vision, encourages clear communication, values their employees, and held leadership accountable for their actions.

Cons

Preface: The collection of 5-star ratings, almost all posted between May and July 2016, was intended to boost a strong 5-star rating to better position the company for an upcoming hiring push. I am writing this review, because Glassdoor reviews are a resource I took into consideration (prior to accepting a position at Dr. Axe) and I want others to know the truth as they consider if this is truly a place they want to work.

From the outside looking in, an opportunity here seems like rainbows and butterflies for someone who has a passion for health/wellness or digital marketing. At the lower levels, many employees are wonderful; however, company leadership lacks maturity and experience, they operate without accountability, and they have blatantly and unapologetically lied to staff when it best serves their agenda. You will hear people at Dr. Axe often speak proudly about their ability to “pivot quickly” There is a lot of pivoting, because decisions to move forward with new projects/actions are made in haste, without clearly or strategically thinking things through, and without full consideration of the possible repercussions.

At the leadership level, there is also bullying and favoritism (i.e. denigrating and intimidating employees, to include cussing out employees), which has continued to go unchecked (even after reports to Human Resources). If you are not part of the clique or a family member or close friend, you will likely feel insecure, out of place, and question your job security. Also, if you are pregnant or hope to become pregnant while working here, you should know that at least two women have returned from maternity leave and been either severely demoted or fired.

Of note, within the last few months, there has been a revolving door of employees at this organization. At least two employees were hired and fired within a few months, five employees were laid off and, under one particularly toxic manager, several employees have voluntarily left the organization. Until this organization addresses some major leadership issues, think twice about working here.

Advice to Management

Operate with Integrity. Hold your leadership accountable. Live what you say you believe.

"10 Reasons Not To Fall For It"

I worked at DrAxe.com full-time

Pros

Experience quickly. But you'll leave disoriented and feeling used.

Cons

1. They’re laying people off. Consistently hire and then fire.

2. Leadership intentionally has no accountability. They like to be make changes to staff, goals and plans without repercussions.

3. Blatant bullying and favoritism allowed by management; i.e. cussing out employees in public

4. Overworked, underpaid employees. Loyalty is rewarded by more work

5. Male dominated, sexist, inauthentic and flaky. Trust no promise made that’s not in writing.

6. Extremely cliquy. They prefer to employ family members (siblings, exes, wives, mothers, college buddies, you name it), creating an environment of safety for those related and insecurity for those who are not.

7. Willingness to fire employees after their maternity leave is up.

8. Led by very conservative thinkers pretending to be forward thinking.

9. Over zealous goals driven by ownership's greed and goal to eventually sell the company to the highest bidder.

10. They asked their employees to make their current Glassdoor reviews. Notice that employees stopped reviewing over a year ago.

"Amazing for some people, horrible for others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at DrAxe.com (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with brilliant people in all areas of the business.

From customer service to product dev to social media to marketing, these are seriously some of the most talented people on the planet.

But the crazy thing is nobody is resting on their laurels.

Everyone is looking to grow and there are tons of opportunities. You're always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new -- even if that means challenging the status quo and breaking all the rules.

Like anything in life, you'll get out what you put in. If you're looking for a place to coast or a straight up 9-5 work life, then this probably won't be a good fit for you.

But if you're willing to work hard (and be rewarded for the work you do), then this may be just the change you've been looking for.

The salary is competitive and benefits are on the way. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code. Monthly (and generous) stipend of the products.

Cons

You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand. Your team is there to support you. But the key is that word: support. No body is going to do your job for you.

If you need constant affirmations from management and aren't willing to push yourself, this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

-- Keep inspiring, motivating, and enabling employees to do their best work. You set the example of excellence at the top. And as we grow, that will only be more important.

-- Transparency is key. Shine more light than you think is necessary -- so everyone knows what's going on.

-- Nail down roadmaps and onboarding. As more employees join this rapidly growing company, it'll be key to have systems that bring people in and get them up-to-speed efficiently and effectively.

-- Last but not least, keep up the great work! The leadership is amazing here. Every one on the leadership team cares for the employees and embodies the core values of the companies.

There's an old saying: "A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."

Right now, the leaders embody this idea to the fullest.

Keep it up and we'll do even more than we all thought was possible.

Sep 14, 2016 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you so much for this feedback! This feedback to leadership is vital and welcomed and drives change within our team. One of the most recent changes is the addition of health benefits! And we are... More

"Greatest Company Ever!"

I have been working at DrAxe.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leaders at Axe Wellness are always focused on helping the customer get healthy and helping the employees live their best life ever. We have an incredibly healthy work environment, positive attitudes and healthy schedule. The team at Axe Wellness encourages the employees to live a healthy balanced life and to increase their knowledge in wherever field they love.

Cons

While we are well cared for int he office, the employees are not yet provided with health insurance.

Sep 14, 2016 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you so much for your comment. An update for those reading this comment, we now offer health insurance benefits!

6. "One-of-a-Kind Company"

Pros

The people that work here, starting with the founder Dr. Josh Axe and the president Evan Tardy (who's been working with Josh for over 5 years) are genuinely great, hard-working and smart, with the right principles. Plus the company is growing by leaps and bounds, in terms of revenue, website growth, audience metrics, etc.

The work can be tremendously rewarding, for it's a natural health company that seeks to help people get better through food/nutrition, natural remedies, supplementation, exercise and more. Whether our web articles, special programs, ebooks or products, it's empowering to know that we are truly making a huge difference in the world ... and our core audience (which grows every day) not only appreciates it, but let's us know in our 1M strong Facebook community.

Josh and Evan also believe strongly in letting people govern themselves for the most part, and each employee is steered to what they do best as well as what serves the company the best. That is a marriage that can be difficult in some companies, but not here because the management team is so strong.

Cons

You must be a self-starter, for while the company has grown, there isn't always a lot of oversight to keep people on task. It's up to you to take care of your work and stick to deadlines.

The pressure can be high and often more is accomplished in one week here than what takes several months at other companies. That doesn't mean the hours are longer necessarily, but the pace can be intense.

The growth from a startup to mid-sized company can be awkward at times, and the lack of health insurance (supposed to change soon), 401K and not enough vacation time can be frustrating for employees who've worked at other places more generous in these respects. That being said, we've been assured that positive changes are coming in all of the above.

Advice to Management

This is a special company. Continue to look to leading, new age companies to make sure we are being fair and generous in terms of salary, vacation time, benefits, etc. While everyone (for the most part) works very hard, the efficiency and drive will go up another notch if we truly take care of everyone.

Sep 14, 2016 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your honesty. Leadership takes these suggestions very seriously. For those reading this post, we now offer health insurance and vacation time plus a flexible work schedule. And this... More

7. "High Energy, Positive Environment, Opportunity for Impact and Influence...and Tasty Snacks"

I have been working at DrAxe.com full-time

Pros

I have been working here, full-time, for almost one year. The environment here is unlike any I have ever experienced. Everyone is so positive, full of energy and inspiring. It feels like one big family, where all opinions matter and everybody is willing to help no matter what department they work in. I wake up every day excited to go to work. We work extremely hard to help people become the healthiest they can be and it feels so amazing to be a part of that.

Cons

We are improving/growing every day, making us stronger and able to continue building our foundation with our mission. If you aren't prepared to work hard to help grow a company then maybe this job isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job!

Sep 14, 2016 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for posting your positive experience! As you already know, leadership is passionate about making Dr. Axe a fantastic place to work. Keep feeding ideas, feedback both positive and negative... More

8. "Best Job I've Ever Had!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

Pros

Most encouraging place I have ever worked. There is so much room to grow!

Cons

There are no cons that I have experienced.

Sep 14, 2016 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for the positivity! Please keep new ideas coming! We need them! We need you!

9. "Customer Service Agent"

Current Employee - Director of Happiness in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director of Happiness in Nashville, TN

I have been working at DrAxe.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for this company! Everyone is so encouraging and it's a very uplifting environment. When you work for DrAxe.com, you are valued :)

Cons

We are growing at such a rapid rate (exciting!).. we need more agents to best serve our customers!

10. "I love my job..."

I have been working at DrAxe.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible team full of creative, smart and passionate people who love what they do and why they do it. This is a dream job and I love the atmosphere I get to work in. I feel the freedom to grow and create as well as enjoy my team and work with other like-minded people. The energy, dynamic and authenticity of this place is unlike anything I have seen and I feel blessed to work here.

Cons

This isn't really a con but this place is growing super fast so you have to be ok with things changing and moving and growing at a rapid pace!