Dragonfly Sushi Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 3, 2017

3.3
Hirofumi Leung

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A fantastic company to work for"

Former Employee - Head Server in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Head Server in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Dragonfly Sushi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A lot of in-depth training to make sure you know what you are selling
    - Flexible schedule, especially if you are a student
    - Room for growth if you work hard
    - The people that you work with become your family

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "Good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Dragonfly Sushi part-time

Pros

Good place to work as long as you are a hard worker. They do a good job of getting rid of bad team members

Cons

You can make more money at other sandlake Rd restaurants

3. "One of the best restaurants I have ever worked in"

Current Employee - BOH Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - BOH Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Dragonfly Sushi part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome team and management .
    Tons of positive constructive criticism.
    Team genuinely wants to see you succeed.
    Everyone makes each other smile!

Cons

I have no cons so I will continue with the pro's. I have never been welcomed with such open arms and so much knowledge. Head chef is a man to be endlessly bragged about!

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're doing! You guys are all fabulous people and maintain a fun but serious (when needed) work environment.

4. "Working at Dragonfly"

Former Employee - Host in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Host in Orlando, FL

Pros

The food and drink quality is phenomenal.

Cons

I was terminated for absolutely no reason and with no warning from Dragonfly Orlando. I was a very hard worker and I passionately strived to pass my very difficult and numerous preliminary menu exams, in which case I succeeded. I received plenty of positive feedback regarding my progress as an employee up to my last day.
      I VERY politely persuaded a guest (one of the CEO's friends, it turns out) to come inside the restaurant to pay her bill and get her take-out order. She wanted to have it delivered to her car in the parking lot, which is not a service I was trained to offer to guests. Upon checking her order, she said the soup portion was too small so my manager allowed me to give her some more for free.
    I greatly value honesty, and have no willingness or need to exaggerate or alter any part of this account to my benefit.
    Come shift end, my manager told me he couldn't trust me to make sound customer service decisions in the future and that I was terminated immediately. No reprimand (I had not been reprimanded once since starting), no write up, no understanding that I was 3 months into this position and still needed training to avoid making mistakes in situations similar to this one, only swift termination.

It is my belief (although I cannot be certain) that the guest called her friend, the restaurant CEO, to mislead him into thinking I was somehow uncongenial during our interaction, leading him to order my termination.

The point I am making is the owners of this company preach about the restaurant staff being a family and making meaningful connections, yet value their own friends' ultimate satisfaction over fairness to their dedicated employees. Also, no manager stood up for me, even though I was an excellent employee. Passivity is rampant among the management.

5. "Okay employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Dragonfly Sushi part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good tips and clientele. Good place to work if you can manage to get along with the kind of people who work there.

Cons

Way too much micromanaging from head servers, not so friendly staff; kind of stuck up attitude from head servers, management doesn't really care to get to know you.

6. "Stuck up"

Current Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Dragonfly Sushi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good food
    Good happy hour
    Good tips

Cons

Too much to memorize in a short training period.
    "Head servers" seem to be put in charge, but don't really know how to be professional and helpful.
    Managers are non-existent unless something goes wrong
    Everyone has a God like complex, as if they are better than you.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more hands on, and more helpful and encouraging in training and every day work. The managers and head servers seem to have a God like complex, and they act as if they are above everyone else. Handing someone a stack of packets to study is not proper training. Giving advice, and proper criticism should be part of the manager's duties, and if the head servers are in charge of that, they need to make sure they do it.

7. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Server in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Dragonfly Sushi part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. The environment is good if you get along with the type of people who work here.

Cons

Too much micromanaging from head servers. Sometimes borderline unprofessional staff

"Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

Pros

Good pay
    Good food
    Nice hours
    Overall nice people worked there.

Cons

Extremely high pressure
    Overly competitive
    Lack of support from other management.

Had to memorize too much, in too short a time
    They seemed a little overly cocky about what a great place it is to work, its a good place, but it's just not the most supportive work place, if they want people to do good, they should give them better tools.

Advice to Management

Support your employees more, don't make it such a uptight place to work.

9. "College Job"

Former Employee - Sushi Chef in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Sushi Chef in Gainesville, FL

Pros

A great environment to learn and grow with others that are motivated at bringing the best service to the customer.

Cons

Upward movement in the company is weak because the company realize that many of their employees are transient students. Therefore, Dragonfly only promotes individuals willing to be overworked for very little pay with the promise of a management position if ever franchised.

Advice to Management

If you ever expect to retain talented employees and reduce your turnover rate then you should find a better way to balance the staff salaries differences between your main location and downtown headquarters. Many employees feel second rate when we are constantly expected to perform at the same level as your downtown employees but are not paid nearly the same amount. Lastly, you are an American style fast serve sushi restaurant, what you are doing is neither special nor uncommon in many other cities but by other similar places. So do not act as though your "head" chefs are much different from glorified fall guys for when the management fails.