Draper's And Damon's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Denise Schramm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Status Quo will be the end of business"

I worked at Draper's And Damon's full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and friendly team members

Cons

There are a few issues within the company that make this a great place to work. Unfortunately many people have been at the company in management positions that would never survive outside of this environment (lack of business/industry knowledge). The PD department should be shut down - leaders are more focused on checking their social media than actually working. Bring your "brat" into work day was a disaster - and should never be accepted.

Advice to Management

Overall haul many of the leaders that have been there for far too long to benefit from new knowledge.

"Depressing"

I worked at Draper's And Damon's full-time

Pros

In general, the people are nice.

Cons

The office environment itself is depressing. They keep half of the lights off.

Advice to Management

Many have been with the company for a very long time and don't know anything else. Don't be afraid to accept new ideas from people who have been other places.

"90 years of success, and whoosh... there it goes"

Pros

Very flexible schedule. Most talented people in the business

Cons

Work, work, work, get to work, quit complaining, work, work, work, I'm better than you, work, work, work, I get a vacation and you don't, work, work, work,

Advice to Management

Please seek the advice of marketing professionals

4. "R&D Textile"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Draper's And Damon's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are very flexible with their employees. PTO and they encourage to volunteer for the local community. The average employee is very team oriented. A large portion of the company is over 40 therefore, everything tends to be more stable and respectful. People stay at this company for many many years. The VPs are approachable and have extensive careers in the apparel business, and they're willing to teach their employees. They've formed a very tight knit culture within the company. They follow strict procedures and are overall a well organized company. I loved the people and the culture at this company one of the best places to work in the apparel industry.

Cons

Unfortunately some lower level managers have never worked anywhere else, and they lack industry standard and procedures knowledge. People have long tenures at this company which at times might make the overall business operation stale with no innovation. The company tends to isolate itself from outside procedures and knowledge. All new projects are formulated and established like one does at a high school or freshman presentation (e.g 100 steps process) Sometimes the processes are so restraining and strict that they inhibit growth in innovation, ideas and overall "freshness" Mid-level managers tend to over delegate tasks leaving them with little to no actual work, some might get somewhat lazy. These same managers are also the first ones to jump in and take credit when associates do a good job. Also because of the long tenure, it is extremely difficult to move up. Drapers and Damons is the place where one goes to learn the old ways the industry worked.

Advice to Management

Focus on your mission statement. Spend a little and remember that price reduction doesn't matter if you aren't selling. Add value to your product. Go back to your core values.

5. "Life at Draper's and Damon's"

I have been working at Draper's And Damon's full-time

Pros

Casual, laid back work environment. Team mentality. People are approachable and available. Good benefits. The company loves their customers.

Cons

It's a retail business. Retail is tough these days. Hard to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Keep finding small ways to boost morale frequently.

"store manager"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Draper's And Damon's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

payroll to support one on one customer service, regular customer base, small company, fun environment, great hours

Cons

POS system needs upgrading, no local advertising to help build customer base, all new customers need to come from outreach which strains managers time

Advice to Management

upgrade POS, upgrade catalog to reflect the customer you want to bring in to the stores

"Really bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Draper's And Damon's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to be a fun, energetic company but no more. People are stressed beyond limits and the new leadership and owners are a bad joke.

Cons

Like many of the other reviews mentioned they disrespect employees and work us to death for very low pay. New upper level management are either unqualified for their job or just plain nasty to work with. New ownership is a disaster.

Advice to Management

I haven't got a clue how to fix the mess that has been created. I am worried it is impossible to undies all the damage done. The people in charge now need to be removed, they are a nothing but finger pointers that just don't get it.

8. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Mgmt
    Former Employee - Mgmt

I worked at Draper's And Damon's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great,flexible work schedules due to the fact that they close at 6pm.The company has a great voice of the employee survey that makes the teams in the field feel valued and relevant.My store went awhile without having a D.M.which was tough but she was worth the wait.I felt my personal professional growth was important to her and she was easy to talk to about concerns.The customers are older so they know what they want.Its important to be open minded with this clientele base.They have loads of memories to share!This is a good place to work!

Cons

Unfortunately I am no longer with the company due to lack of business.My departure had nothing to do with my performance..this column asks for the cons and fortunately my only negative comment would be disappointment while tying up loose ends I am having an extremely difficult time having someone return my emails..I suppose more than anything it's hurtful because while there I truly felt my contribution was appreciated and valued..now that I am no longer employed by them it feels as if I have been dismissed...which in a way is true..am just hurt and surprised that I am being ignored and blown off.

Advice to Management

This company is great about making their employees feel appreciated. They are patient,professional and kind.However just because we are no longer employed by you we are still human and its difficult enough being laid off.Our lives go on and it would show compassion on Human Resources part if they would respond to former employees communications.

9. "Good place to work!"

I have been working at Draper's And Damon's full-time

Pros

The PTO is great and the company cares about it's employees. They have daily announcements that are usually very funny which to me shows that this can be a fun place to work. Many people here have worked here over 10 years. I think this speaks volumes about the company. The company's flex hours are great!

Cons

There isn't a lot of space in the building so it's difficult to archive how you want. The company is going through a change of ownership which has brought on some changes that are still yet to be seen as positive or negative.

"Not Worth It!"

I worked at Draper's And Damon's (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started working here over 3 years ago, the first year or so it was one of the best companies I had ever worked for. You got good hours, decent pay, good people to work with and you were always busy.

Cons

Out of all of the companies I have worked for, this one has been the most disappointing in the end. For the last year and a half the employees have been treated like work horses that are worked to death. Then they dropped the bomb on certain employees changing their status from full time to part time in an instant. The hours are not distributed evenly among the employees like they should be to make the stores more successful. Instead only certain people get more hours and others get barely any.

Advice to Management

If you keep making terrible decisions the company will keep going further into the ground. Treat your employees far better. They are not work horses or robots.