DreamBox Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Jessie Woolley-Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • DreamBox builds high quality products that help kids learn math (in 6 reviews)

• Everyone feels like they can make a difference in the life of millions of kids, and employees are empowered to make it happen (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No clear path to career growth, flat organization (in 4 reviews)

• It's still a growing company and there are certain procedures that are still being established but it is getting better (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome mission, great team and challenging"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DreamBox in many ways was a pinnacle experience for me. No team is perfect, but when everyone lives/works with clear vision and strives to live out values, anyone can contribute, fail/learn, grow professionally and personally. You can fail here if learning comes quickly and you own your contribution.

Cons

The EdTech marketplace is tough; having such a great product, marketplace progress can seem slow and is certainly political. The 'but' here is DreamBox leadership is indefatigable when it comes to making a difference and continuing its progress.

Advice to Management

don't waiver from the great culture you have. Never give up on the kids and making DreamBox a game changer.

"Take Another Look at DreamBox - 2013"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are a growing! We have an AMAZING product that is changing how kids learn math. It is a privilege to be a part of a company all about helping students learn with technology, regardless of their zip code. This is a company you will want to work for. People with a passion, a product to revolutionize the way kids learn and a continual vision for aggressive growth. I am proud to be a part of DreamBox Learning!

Cons

Some past employees who either left because we grew out of "start up mode" or were let go feel the need to negatively vent on glassdoor. Change is hard and uncomfortable, but those of us who have stuck it out have seen our CEO's vision come to fruition. Don't get me wrong - it's not perfect, but management is focused on making the DreamBox Learning culture better all the time and it is nothing like most of the reviews here.

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate, mentor and recognize the hard work and success of your great teams. We have a great LT in place and look forward to our future growth.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Give you all the tools to succeed. People are easy to work with and there is a team feeling throughout the company.

Cons

Managers can be at the other site.

Jan 12, 2016 – SVP Client Engagement & Success

Thank you for giving us your feedback. We have been working on building one team and it’s great to hear that we are headed in the right direction. Thank you for your hard work and being part of our... More

"DreamBox is the best company I've ever been at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

DreamBox is a very collaborative, fast paced, challenging, rewarding, and friendly place to work. Everyone feels like they can make a difference in the life of millions of kids, and employees are empowered to make it happen. While it is a friendly environment, it is also an environment where you can state your opinions openly. People here are used to be good on people and hard on ideas, which is captured by one of the values "benevolent friction". It is a truly rewarding experience that I'd recommend to anyone that is looking for a breath of fresh air, an opportunity to learn, make a difference, and being noticed. The engineering team is exceptionally selected from the cream of the crop. It is a strong group of highly professional and motivated individuals with amazing skills, attention to details and drive for excellence. Truly inspiring to watch.

Cons

Probably not a good place for folks that don't like working with people smarter than them. To be successful at DreamBox you need to be ready for the challenge, and be motivated to succeed. If you just want to collect a paycheck, this is definitely not the place for you. If you are a complainer and have only problems without being able to offer solutions, it is also not a good place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the bar high, and keep doing what you are doing. Push for excellence, don't worry about minor setbacks, keep on changing things when they don'r work, and look at the amazing vision you are fulfilling. Your work is important. Your people are amazing. Do not forget it.

5. "Great People, Incredible Mission, Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, the people who work here are amazing! Extremely bright, some of the very best technical talent I've worked with. And the spirit of teamwork, collaboration, and inclusiveness is just amazing. Everyone on the team truly values your contribution, and let's you know through their words and actions. Just an amazing team to be a part of.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the commute. Going across the bridge twice a day is horrid, but, you know what? They offered to let me offset my hours or work from home occasionally. What a company!

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I know we have some big goals we are trying to achieve, but honestly, you have an amazing leadership team. Great leaders and managers at every level, who lead by example, enable, empower and encourage you to get things done right. I have yet to see one iota of micromanagement.

Sep 15, 2016 – VP User Experience

Thank you for your praise and support of DreamBox. We agree with you that we have bright, talented, and amazing employees! (It's one of the reasons why I'm still here after more than 10 years.) Sorry... More

6. "great company"

Former Employee - Client Care Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Client Care Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- fun office vibe
    - startup feel
    - fun people to work with

Cons

- growing company normal stuff: can be vague with vision of where the company is going, what we are heading towards
    - not enough physical space, literally needed a bigger office space

Advice to Management

keep being transparent to the teams, they value that.

Sep 9, 2016 – SVP Client Engagement & Success

We’re so are glad that you enjoyed your work with us and the teams you worked with at DreamBox....and agree that we were outgrowing our office. Fortunately, we have moved to a new office space with... More

"Client Success Advocate"

Former Employee - Client Success Advocate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Client Success Advocate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, fun people and amazing product. If you want to be a part of a great project such as helping children learn math while enjoying your job then this is the place to be.

Cons

It's still a growing company and there are certain procedures that are still being established but it is getting better.

"Making a positive change for kids"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate people that truly care about the mission, to change the way the world learns and that every child can love math if given the right tools. Understands that we're all grown ups and as long as we're doing good work, we can wear what we want, work from home if needed, set our own hours (all within reason of course). Encouraged to personalize our space. Lots of promotions from within. Welcoming atmosphere, friendly co-workers. Can approach any level of management and be treated as an equal. And dogs!

Cons

No matching 401k, not enough opportunity for casual intermingling of departments

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for the positive feedback. It’s great to hear all the good things that you mentioned. We work hard to hire passionate and smart people and create the environment where they can succeed. We... More

9. "A company you can be proud to be a part of"

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

The mission is clear and the people are all passionate about achieving it. Coworkers are very supportive of each other. The leadership has an open mind and supports dialog. The work life balance is great.

Cons

Since it's a growing company, it can seem like there is always more that needs to be done than can be done. But that also means there is never a shortage of good ideas of how to impact the business in a positive way.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on career management. There is a lot of independence in how folks work but that also means that there is sometimes not enough mentorship and time spent on growing people.

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Work with a bunch of smart people to make a real difference in kid's lives across the country.

Cons

No formal career growth ladder.